SiouxSports.com Forum

CC Players in the Junior Tournament

TMK

Does anyone know how CC will be affected by the two players they will be missing for this weekend's series? Defenseman Mark Stuart and Forward Brett Sterling are both playing in Novia Scotia at the World Juniors. Was kind of surprised not to see Senja's name on the roster.

Anyone see the game recap on usahockey.com? Total attendence for the game was just over 2,000 people. Pretty weak for Canada I think.

Apparently from what my Canadian friends are telling me that you will want to buy your tickets fast and as soon as possible. I hope we will be able to get tickets so we can see the games. I might even take vacation to watch the games in the Ralph...

Here's a clipping from the New York Times about Blais, and his views about missing players for the WJC. He's generally supportive of the players, but he does recognize the potential for damage in the WCHA race, especially this series with CC.

New York Times January 1, 2003

North Dakota Takes One for U.S. Team

By MARK SCHEERER

On one hand, DEAN BLAIS, head coach at North Dakota, wishes the United States team success in the world junior championships. On the other hand, he sure would like three of his best players back from that team in time for a key series against Colorado College this weekend.

``We could lose these two games this weekend,'' Blais said, ``and it could cost us the league championship.''

Top-ranked North Dakota (18-1-1) has lost the most players to the national junior team, which is competing in the 10-nation world championships in Nova Scotia. Four other Division I teams have two players each on the national roster.

But the Fighting Sioux are without their leading scorer, the freshman ZACH PARISE, and two defensemen, MATT JONES and MATT GREENE, for as long as the United States squad remains in tournament play.

``It's one thing to miss Zach Parise, but the two defensemen have been rock solid for us,'' Blais said. ``We've been averaging only 18 shots against us a game, and those guys hold the red line like it's the blue line.''

But Blais, who coached the United States junior team in 1993 and was an assistant coach two other years, holds international competition in high regard. ``I know how demoralizing it is when college coaches won't let their players go for selfish reasons, you know, they might have a Christmas tournament,'' he said.

North Dakota is 8-1-1 in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, in second place behind third-ranked Colorado College (16-2-2, 9-1-2). The Sioux won the inaugural Subway Holiday Tournament on its home ice in Grand Forks last weekend. They edged Bemidji State (5-6-6), 4-3, in the final, after a 5-2 victory over Brown (5-6-1) in the first round. The sophomore BRANDON BOCHENSKI scored six goals in the two tournament games and was named most valuable player. His 25 goals are tops in Division I; he is third in scoring with 36 points, behind Parise (38) and Colorado College's PETER SEJNA (41).

``We would have loved to have Parise in the holiday tournament,'' Blais said. ``His absence probably hurts your attendance and chances of winning. But then, to have him display his talents to all the N.H.L. scouts and represent the country is as patriotic as can be.''

Another coach concerned about the effect of the world juniors on his team is TIM WHITEHEAD of second-ranked Maine (15-1-2). The Black Bears are without forward GREG MOORE and goaltender JAMES HOWARD.

``The only potential negative is those guys could get burned out,'' Whitehead said. ``I've seen it before. When I was coaching at UMass-Lowell, we had a player named RON HAINSEY who made the United States team and played over Christmastime. It was tough on him. It's draining, all the travel and the schedule. You just don't get a break, mentally or physically.''

Blais, though, sees another positive.

``For me, losing those players to the world junior team, its a compliment to our program,'' he said. ``You look at the roster and see three players from U.N.D. on it - it says something about our development and recruitment.''