SiouxSports.com Forum

86-87 "Dream Team"

YaneA

I recently came into possession of a copy of a print by artist Patrick Tupa entitled "Dream Team." It's a painting of the 86-87 championship team. I can identify some of the usual suspects (Hrkac, Joyce, Belfour) but wonder if anyone else has a copy of this print and could put names to the faces?

I'll check it out. I have it hanging in my living room along with some of his other Sioux hockey works. He got two commissions from UND to paint them, one in '87, and one in '96. You used to be able to see them hanging in the lobby of the old Ralph, but with the move, they either got left out or moved to some office somewhere in there. He did paint the portrait of Betty Engelstad hanging in her branch of the complex.

Anyway, a lot of his prints were destroyed in the flood. As far as what it's going for...I think some places around town have them, but it's been years since I've checked. I believe most of the "Dream Team" painting was taken from photographs, so if you find the team picture you can put faces with names.

Thanks, everyone. I've taken the print in to be framed. The framer thinks she can smooth out some wrinkles that developed because the print was stuffed in someone's closet for 18 years. Once framed, it'll make a nice complement to the opening night at the new REA print my students gave me last year. I couldn't locate any mention of the "Dream Team" artwork on the net, not even on a wesbite listing Patrick Tupa's work. The margin of the print indicates that there were 1000 numbered prints so I'm sure there must be others out there.

Meanwhile, can anyone direct me to a roster for the 86-87 team? The Frozen Four record book (downloadable) promises championship rosters on the cover but it's really just a team photo so you can't identify most players by number. When I get the print back, I'll try to match the faces with the team photo.

Thanks, everyone. I've taken the print in to be framed. The framer thinks she can smooth out some wrinkles that developed because the print was stuffed in someone's closet for 18 years. Once framed, it'll make a nice complement to the opening night at the new REA print my students gave me last year. I couldn't locate any mention of the "Dream Team" artwork on the net, not even on a wesbite listing Patrick Tupa's work. The margin of the print indicates that there were 1000 numbered prints so I'm sure there must be others out there.

Meanwhile, can anyone direct me to a roster for the 86-87 team? The Frozen Four record book (downloadable) promises championship rosters on the cover but it's really just a team photo so you can't identify most players by number. When I get the print back, I'll try to match the faces with the team photo.

'86-87 roster. Sorry I cannot find a team picture, but at least this link gives you the names of the players from that season.

Also, I have the print and will pm you next week when I return home from the holiday. I can fill in most of the players identities for you.

Thank you, schmidtdoggydog; that would be great. I DID find the all-time roster on that website but not the one for the 86-87 year. It doesn't list jersey numbers, though. Can anyone help with that?

Off the top of my head:

Hrkac 21

Joyce 20

Johnson 7

Kidd 4

Krampotich 8

Koberinski 15

Parks 11

Davidson 14

Benson 6

Dub 19

Bobyck 25

Parent 17

Paranica 22

Baron 3

Belfour 29

Bowen 9

Nako 10

I hope I am not too far off with these numbers and, hopefully, this will be helpful.

I have no clue if this photo matches up with the painting, but it gives the roster, the box score, and the record of the Sioux that year.

Hope this somewhat helps.

EDIT: Interesting to note that we had four goaltenders and a ton of Assistant coaches (Blais, Marks, Eades).

Edited by redwing77