SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday NE Game Thread

JESUS,family,rutgers

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't make it to Friday's game, but on Saturday I thought Stafford looked not so good.  Lots of giveaway passes and skating like he was out of gas. Or am I nuts? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMHO, it looked like Drew may be pressing a bit. He and Zajac are working hard, dominating puck possession, cycling endlessly, generating some chances, but no payoff. Stafford did appear to be trying to do "too much" at times and it did result in a few turnovers.

One factor in the slow offensive start for Stafford and Zajac may be that they are on one of the primary penalty killing units. Penalty killing consumes energy and disrupts line changes. For example, on Saturday night, Matt Watkins was moved up to the Zajac line. He only had a couple of shifts in the first period because he doesn't play on special teams. It made sense to switch Toews and Watkins later in the game for this reason (among others).

A few other observations:

I miss Spirko already.

TJ Oshie has been one of the best players on the ice. Someone compared his style to Jason Blake. I don't see that, except they are both relentless. I knew Oshie had great skill and tenacity, but I've been impressed with his strength.

I too love the Prpich/Kaip/Fabian line. They are playing the same role that Fabian/Canady/Massen played last year in the post-season. Prpich is playing like a senior.

Duncan and Kozek are fun to watch. They can add some offense.

Brad Miller worked hard, but got knocked down a lot. Cary Eades mentioned on the radio last week that he couldn't lift during the off-season because of his shoulder surgery. He needs to get stronger.

Smaby has been outstanding.

If Radke can play consistently like he did Saturday. :lol:

Brian Lee did make some tentative plays--but the kid also had six shots on goal on Saturday. He looks excellent on the PP. His wrist shot is very accurate, but not real hard. I've almost never seen him try a slapshot.

Zach Jones seems to be struggling more than the other freshmen defensemen so far. I'm a little surprised. I'm sure he'll be OK.

I'd like to see more of Todd Alexander and Ryan Martens.

TJ Oshie has been one of the best players on the ice. Someone compared his style to Jason Blake. I don't see that, except they are both relentless. I knew Oshie had great skill and tenacity, but I've been impressed with his strength.

Smaby has been outstanding.

Awesome Points. Smaby has done a good job getting the low shot from the point and I have been impressed with him. Actually he has played well and cut down on bad penalties this past weekend.

Oshie is a stud the kid is probably the steal of the 2004 recruitment class and I believe he will have a great year.

Toews is also the real deal and very poised for a 17 year old. Man the kid can shoot.