SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Finley

PHE

I'm anxious to see what kind of year Joe Finley has this year. I don't know much about him other than he's 6'7" and 240 lbs and that he skates well for someone as big as he is. I'm curious about the other parts of his game, e.g. can he play under control, make good outlet passes, lug the puck, play consistently game after game, etc? Has anyone seen him play? Maybe some of our USHL posters know something about him from his Sioux Falls days (StarzUND or spfreak, can you help?)

As I was thinking about Finley it made me think of some of the recent "oversized beasts" the Sioux have had (Commodore, Greene and Smaby). There are several parallels amongst those three. They all:

1. Struggled mightily their first year and a half in the WCHA.

2. Took stupid, ill-timed penalties.

3. Became fan favorites.

4. Became the leader of the team (two of them were/are captains).

5. Left/Will leave after their junior season.

I think we'd all be pleased if Finley followed the path those three took.

i have never seen a 6'7 240 pounder in a sioux uniform. hes fricken huge. i think we will have to just wait and find out what he brings when it comes to D 1 hockey. never seen him play personally but he has a hell of a upside after getting drafted in the 1st round. i cant wait to see him play when i come back for the northeastern series but i do not believe these upcoming games in dayton are on TV so we will just have to listen to TH on the radio and see how he descibes his play...

Dear god, is he really that big>:silly: I guess I should pay more attention. You guys should optimistically call him the Gentle Giant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but no one knows his actual weight. I've seen it as low as 225 and as high as 255. The most common numbers are 233 and 240.

I think he'll be a good one but it is going to take some time for him.

Yes, but no one knows his actual weight. I've seen it as low as 225 and as high as 255. The most common numbers are 233 and 240.

I think he'll be a good one but it is going to take some time for him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just hope he plays well and doesn't remind me of this pylon :D

Dear god, is he really that big>:silly: I guess I should pay more attention. You guys should optimistically call him the Gentle Giant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm optimisticly hoping he is not at all gentle. I want to see Paukovich crying on the ice.

Goon-

Can you name a 6'7" Defenseman in the pros that would be a better rolemodel for a 6'7" defenseman in DI?

Sure, I can think of many shorter guys to emulate, but... Chara is regarded as a quality defenseman despite the thugginess. John Scott certainly isn't that way.

Goon-

Can you name a 6'7" Defenseman in the pros that would be a better rolemodel for a 6'7" defenseman in DI? 

Sure, I can think of many shorter guys to emulate, but... Chara is regarded as a quality defenseman despite the thugginess.  John Scott certainly isn't that way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you on that one. Also, to take a quote from Hopper, Chara is a tall drink of water. I wouldn't want to go into the corner with him, he is a monster. I hope the same is said about Finely.