SiouxSports.com Forum

Board of Higher Education

Sioux-cia

Potts said that Kup is handling the Sioux name well. They have not become involved because they have not been asked. He also said that the policy adopted by the Board of Higher education regarding the name, even though there are new members on the board, will remain in place unless the University asks them to change the policy.

Now that the mad has diminished, I am really getting hyped and look forward to a law suit! Stenehjem is a UND grad which gives him some 'ownership' in the name defense as well as giving him the opportunity to fight and win a First Amendment issue.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has anyone heard any comments from the AG?

Now that the mad has diminished, I am really getting hyped and look forward to a law suit! Stenehjem is a UND grad which gives him some 'ownership' in the name defense as well as giving him the opportunity to fight and win a First Amendment issue.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is premature, but what court jurisdiction would any lawsuit be filed ?

Also, anyone know how the new Law School Dean views the nickname issue? Since LeBel has Florida State connections, would FSU, with its own interests in overturning the NCAA's ruling, lend some legal assistance?

You may be right, but that certainly didn't stop the Florida AG from making comments (if I remember correctly).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a lot of things that North Dakota's political leaders haven't done that politicians in Florida did. For all I know, that might be part of the strategy. I suspect that once UND completes the NCAA appeals process, we'll have a lot better idea of what UND, the Board of Higher Education and state government intends to do.

There are a lot of things that North Dakota's political leaders haven't done that politicians in Florida did. For all I know, that might be part of the strategy. I suspect that once UND completes the NCAA appeals process, we'll have a lot better idea of what UND, the Board of Higher Education and state government intends to do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would like to see these people get going so we can get closure on this issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I come from a neighborhood in Chicago, lots of blue-collar immigrants and children of immigrants. When it was on the mind, it came out the mouth. My biggest problem after moving to ND was the 'quiet stoicism' of most residents. Bugged the he!! out of me not knowing what was going on until action was taken. Guess that's what's going on here.

I come from a neighborhood in Chicago, lots of blue-collar immigrants and children of immigrants. When it was on the mind, it came out the mouth. My biggest problem after moving to ND was the 'quiet stoicism' of most residents. Bugged the he!! out of me not knowing what was going on until action was taken. Guess that's what's going on here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

quiet stoicism? More like pervading apathy. By the way, my folks are from Chicago too. Maybe that's why they have such a strong opinion on the matter (despite neither of them ever attending UND. Yes, their opinion is different than mine. They're in the: NCAA hasn't the right to tell UND to change the name, but the NA people should indeed be listened to more crowd)

quiet stoicism? More like pervading apathy. By the way, my folks are from Chicago too. Maybe that's why they have such a strong opinion on the matter (despite neither of them ever attending UND. Yes, their opinion is different than mine. They're in the: NCAA hasn't the right to tell UND to change the name, but the NA people should indeed be listened to more crowd)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From an outsider just starting to get on the UND band wagon, I see it that UND must put up a fight on this so that the NCAA keeps their hands out of things that they should not have anything to do with. This is simply a local decision and should be handled by UND and within it's community.

If the NCAA is going to listen to all these politically correct people where will it stop.

The U should fight it all the way.

Does anyone know where I can read Potts' statement? Or maybe it hasn't been officially released yet.

I like this thread as it has information on what direction UND is moving toward to start the legal battle. It's much better than "beating a dead horse" on what is right or wrong. Please keep updating us on the proceedings...

Sioux yeah yeah!!!!!

I come from a neighborhood in Chicago, lots of blue-collar immigrants and children of immigrants.  When it was on the mind, it came out the mouth. My biggest problem after moving to ND was the 'quiet stoicism' of most residents.  Bugged the he!! out of me not knowing what was going on until action was taken. Guess that's what's going on here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're probably be right, but not all Dakotans are like that. My mother's family, which is mostly Irish Catholic and Swedish protestant (there's a mix for ya!) loved to argue. My grandfather, the Swede, would take the opposite side of what he really believed just for the sake of starting an argument.

My father's family and my wife's family are the exact opposite. They'd rather suffer in silence than rock the boat. Unfortunately, for my wife, her husband and two kids got my mother's genes. :blush:

Does anyone know where I can read Potts' statement?  Or maybe it hasn't been officially released yet. 

I like this thread as it has information on what direction UND is moving toward to start the legal battle.  It's much better than "beating a dead horse" on what is right or wrong.  Please keep updating us on the proceedings...

Sioux yeah yeah!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard Potts' statement on the 6 o'clock news last night, GF channel 8 and posted it here. I don't know if there is a formal written statement.