SiouxSports.com Forum

Season outlook

PCM

great to read, i believe the 1st half will be a period where the team will learn how to mesh together and the 2nd half will be a fun ride to watch! it is not a freshman league but with the talent of the sioux freshman coming in, i believe this will be a fun team to watch...this team should light the lamps a bit more and jordan and phil will have to pull out a few wins theirselves..can't wait!!!

GO SIOUX.....

sorry, i have to do this, here are my predictions........

STANDINGS

DU

UM

UND

WISC

CC

UMD

MSU

ALASKA

TECH

SCSU

ROY - toews

POY- stastny

1ST TEAM WCHA

carle (du)

smaby (UND)

zajac (UND)

stastny (du)

sertich (cc)

zaba (cc)

ALL ROOKIE TEAM

niskanen (umd)

chorney (UND)

kessel (um)

skille (uw)

toews (UND)

frazee (um)

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that the Sioux have gone from having limited offensive skill on the blue line the past few season to having a wealth of it this season, especially if Kyle Radke plays up to his potential. That's what really excites me about this team.

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that the Sioux have gone from having limited offensive skill on the blue line the past few season to having a wealth of it this season, especially if Kyle Radke plays up to his potential. That's what really excites me about this team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with all of you's. The first half of the season will be "interesting" with the young D meshing. I think a 4th or 5th WCHA finish is pretty realistic with some fun shootouts. Hopefully they'll make a final run like last year - and then some!

Looking back at last years performance- I really don't think that this year will be any different. I can think of a few games I would have never expected the Sioux to do as well as they did, i.e. Minnesota series.

Looking at the offensive power that UND possess this year, I hope they surprise everyone and pull off a top 3 finish in the WCHA. Sparky, Stafford, Zajac, Toews (who is said to be better than Kessel), and UND's own force from the great white north Fabian. Who would have thought Eric would lead the Sioux into the Frozen Four. After seeing how a player from going from nothing to something excites me to think how good these players and the team is going to be. I think that the upperclass man this year will keep this team in check and lead the Sioux all the way to Wisconsin for a frozen four finish.

Most of the prognostications I've seen for the Sioux have them starting slowly and getting stronger as the season progresses. I'm projecting a different path...I think they'll start fast, tail off mid-season and finish strong. I understand all the rationale for a slow start (13 freshmen, green defense, etc) but I firmly believe that these guys with come out of the gate stronger than most people think.

To begin with, I wouldn't trade the Zajac-Stafford-Spirko line for any other. Throw in high energy guys like Kaip, Porter and Prpch and you have great balance from the returning forwards. Many of the freshman forwards are high ceiling guys and we're all anxious to see how they perform early on. I actually think Oshie will have a better first half than Toews. Watkins and Duncan will be pleasant surprises.

The defense will have have growing pains to be sure but, much like the forward situation, the talent level of the freshman will help overcome some of the early mistakes. As far as returning D men, Smaby will be the key and Radke will be the wild card. If those two play to their high levels it will make things a lot easier for J Par and Lammy to settle in. Lee and Chorney will play well but probably hit a wall mid-year, similar to the Gopher's Goligoski last year. Jones and Finley will struggle while learning what the WCHA is all about, not unlike Matt Greene's freshman season. We'll probably see Lee Marvin get more ice time early on in order to help stablize things on the blue line.

This will be a very exciting team to watch. It will be fun to watch the young guys grow and develop their game....I just don't think it will take as long as most people think.

Let's Go Sioux!!!