To update my wish list.

1) Nick Mattson D 2010

2) Greg Lamoreux F 2010

3) Ryan Walters F 2010

4) Zach Budish F 2009

5) Derek Lee F 2009?

Note: I don't know anything about Tyler Landman

Realistically our biggest need is 2008-2009 Defense

After reading the Budish article, my initial impression was that he was a little arrogant in his commentary. That's a gopher trait so I predict he'll end up at MN. However, at this time I'll not pass judgement on the words of a 15 yr old.

Personally, I think the fact that his teammates on the U17 USA Team elected him captain speaks volumes about his character.

Personally, I think the fact that his teammates on the U17 USA Team elected him captain speaks volumes about his character.

I have no problem with his character, I merely had a first impression from what I read in his quotes and took the opportunity to poke some fun at our arch rivals. Character and arrogance need not be related. Case in point, the former leader and QB of the Falcons, or Koby Bryant comes to mind. Both are rather arrogant leader of their respective teams but they're character might be questionable to some.

To update my wish list.

1) Nick Mattson D 2010

2) Greg Lamoreux F 2010

3) Ryan Walters F 2010

4) Zach Budish F 2009

5) Derek Lee F 2009?

Note: I don't know anything about Tyler Landman

Realistically our biggest need is 2008-2009 Defense

We should be in pretty good shape on D.

We'll need 3 in 08 with Bina/Chorney/Finley leaving and Blood/Gleeson/Fienhage are/can come in 08/09. Jones will be gone the following year. At the most we need 1 more for 08/09, which would give us 8 D for the 09 season.

We should be in pretty good shape on D.

We'll need 3 in 08 with Bina/Chorney/Finley leaving and Blood/Gleeson/Fienhage are/can come in 08/09. Jones will be gone the following year. At the most we need 1 more for 08/09, which would give us 8 D for the 09 season.

For 08 I don't see both Gleason and Fienhage coming because that would be 2 frosh. I think 1 or the other will play USHL for a season. 09 LaPoint could be pro. My guess, 1 more for 08, one more for 09, I could see having 8 D in 09 to avoid massive new defenders for 10.

08 (5-7)

Zach Jones

Chay Genoway

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Ben Blood

Corey Fienhage

Joe Gleason

09 (5-6)

Chay Genoway

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Ben Blood

Corey Fienhage

Joe Gleason

10 (2-5)

Jake Marto

Ben Blood

Corey Fienhage

Joe Gleason

From Andy Baggott's Blog (writer for the Wisconsin State Journal):

"Derek Lee, a major recruiting target for the University of Wisconsin men's hockey team, used words like "awesome'' and "beautiful'' and "top-notch'' to describe his official campus visit over the weekend.

A 17-year-old center with Salmon Arm of the British Columbia Junior Hockey League, Lee was on hand for a UW hockey reunion and was in Camp Randall Stadium to watch the Badgers open the football season with a 42-21 victory over Washington State.

"It's special,'' Lee said of his first visit to Madison. "The whole outlook on sports there is incredible.''

Lee, listed at 5-foot-9 and 147 pounds, accounted for 15 goals, 23 assists and 38 points in 45 games for the Silverbacks last season. Those total are impressive when you consider most players in the BCHL were two to three years older than Lee and three other college-bound centers -- Riley Nash (Cornell), Tony Mosey (St. Cloud State) and Brian Volpei (St. Cloud State) -- got the bulk of the ice time and special teams work with Salmon Arm.

Lee, from North Vancouver, British Columbia, said he intends to make his college decision to coincide with the NCAA early signing period in November. He said he will visit Boston University later this month and Michigan in October before making a commitment.

"Wisconsin will be tough to beat,'' said Lee, who grew up playing youth hockey with UW freshman Kyle Turris and was a Salom Arm teammate of Badgers freshman goaltender Scott Gudmandson.

It remains to be seen if Lee will make the jump to college in 2008-09 or 2009-10. As far as the situation at UW goes, Lee said his arrival depends on how he performs this season and how he develops physically.

"I want to come in and be an impact player,'' Lee said."

From Andy Baggott's Blog (writer for the Wisconsin State Journal):

"Derek Lee, a major recruiting target for the University of Wisconsin men's hockey team, used words like "awesome'' and "beautiful'' and "top-notch'' to describe his official campus visit over the weekend.

A 17-year-old center with Salmon Arm of the British Columbia Junior Hockey League, Lee was on hand for a UW hockey reunion and was in Camp Randall Stadium to watch the Badgers open the football season with a 42-21 victory over Washington State.

"It's special,'' Lee said of his first visit to Madison. "The whole outlook on sports there is incredible.''

Lee, listed at 5-foot-9 and 147 pounds, accounted for 15 goals, 23 assists and 38 points in 45 games for the Silverbacks last season. Those total are impressive when you consider most players in the BCHL were two to three years older than Lee and three other college-bound centers -- Riley Nash (Cornell), Tony Mosey (St. Cloud State) and Brian Volpei (St. Cloud State) -- got the bulk of the ice time and special teams work with Salmon Arm.

Lee, from North Vancouver, British Columbia, said he intends to make his college decision to coincide with the NCAA early signing period in November. He said he will visit Boston University later this month and Michigan in October before making a commitment.

"Wisconsin will be tough to beat,'' said Lee, who grew up playing youth hockey with UW freshman Kyle Turris and was a Salom Arm teammate of Badgers freshman goaltender Scott Gudmandson.

It remains to be seen if Lee will make the jump to college in 2008-09 or 2009-10. As far as the situation at UW goes, Lee said his arrival depends on how he performs this season and how he develops physically.

"I want to come in and be an impact player,'' Lee said."

Wisconsin's football game had to be a cool experience. I believe, but am not certain that Lee has visited UND, can someone confirm this.

Also I created a Derek Lee page under recruiting on the Wiki.

http://wiki.siouxsports.com/doku.php/derek_lee

Wisconsin's football game had to be a cool experience. I believe, but am not certain that Lee has visited UND, can someone confirm this.

with their recent shattuck recruits who all can score he may think its a good fit as turris i believe will be there for 1 year only then off to phoenix

I think the scholarship offer was taken off the table since they are stacked up at foward for 08. He also didn't mention UND in the article as one of his choices.

I think the scholarship offer was taken off the table since they are stacked up at foward for 08. He also didn't mention UND in the article as one of his choices.

I'm not sure, but I would guess that they would love to have him in 09. I would just mention that the article actually listed places that he was still going to visit, not necessarily places he was choosing between. I am hopeful, because he seems to have incredible talent. I think he will put up huge numbers in the BCHL this season as he is not nearly as young as he was last year.

BTW, you can sign up and watch him play for free...

I'm not sure, but I would guess that they would love to have him in 09. I would just mention that the article actually listed places that he was still going to visit, not necessarily places he was choosing between. I am hopeful, because he seems to have incredible talent. I think he will put up huge numbers in the BCHL this season as he is not nearly as young as he was last year.

BTW, you can sign up and watch him play for free...

i will take a stab and say he doesnt play for the sioux, i bet he ends up in sconnie, i want him in the wcha no matter who he plays for. you cant get them all, thats for sure. the only time i have ever heard his name at all is when siouxnami puts him in the potential recruit wish list, hes obviously a great player by the schools that have interest and where he has visited so he should be a fun one to watch if he does end up in the wcha

I was informed a short while ago that one of the players that we are recruiting and should have an offer for is Nick Leddy from Eden Prairie. If you haven't seen him play, he is playing in the fall elite league on Team Southwest with Gleason, Mattson, and Budish this weekend in St. Louis Park.

I was informed a short while ago that one of the players that we are recruiting and should have an offer for is Nick Leddy from Eden Prairie. If you haven't seen him play, he is playing in the fall elite league on Team Southwest with Gleason, Mattson, and Budish this weekend in St. Louis Park.

looks like hes a left handed d man, class of 2009, i fund him listed at 5'10, 160lbs, hes another young one and those numbers may be old as well, they are from this link

http://www.luciacamps.com/rosters.php?team=1

USA, are there any local grand forks kids that will be on the radar? just havent been to up to date on the younger kids there. thanks.

looks like hes a left handed d man, class of 2009, i fund him listed at 5'10, 160lbs, hes another young one and those numbers may be old as well, they are from this link

USA, are there any local grand forks kids that will be on the radar? just havent been to up to date on the younger kids there. thanks.

USA Hockey is pretty high on Leddy too. He was part of that U17 Five Nations team that played last month. He led all defensemen in points with three in four games. He's no Nick Mattson, but he's a high end recruit to be sure. He's about on the same level as Nate Schmidt, though a bit smaller. I think SCSU is recruiting him too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers were in the game as well, though I haven't heard anything about that.

Not knowing anything else, I would assume he is probably friends with Danny Kristo as the must have played together for years. This is really interesting to me, because I can't ever remember a college bringing in a large group of friends like we will be with Gleason, Fink, Kristo, and Mattson all from the SW / W burbs. Then you add the possibility of Budish, Leddy, Walters, or N. Mattson. Pretty cool... I'll make some updates on the wiki...

Not knowing anything else, I would assume he is probably friends with Danny Kristo as the must have played together for years. This is really interesting to me, because I can't ever remember a college bringing in a large group of friends like we will be with Gleason, Fink, Kristo, and Mattson all from the SW / W burbs. Then you add the possibility of Budish, Leddy, Walters, or N. Mattson. Pretty cool... I'll make some updates on the wiki...

im assuming the gophers get cities kids that are friends a lot as most of these elite players end up playing on the same teams through the year. most players that play for the sioux and gophers were maybe teamates somewhere in their short lives. leddy sounds like a nice recruit!!

I am assuming that any GF kids that are on the radar would require at least a year in Juniors, Alex Simonson has had a good offseason and should have a good season this year. Also is there any word on Mario Lamoureux or a former GF resident Danny Wurden?

I am assuming that any GF kids that are on the radar would require at least a year in Juniors, Alex Simonson has had a good offseason and should have a good season this year. Also is there any word on Mario Lamoureux or a former GF resident Danny Wurden?

not sure on mario, did he sign somewhere after his bro got into the air force or still in juniors??