SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL on Comcast

ESPNInsider

I've always puchased NHL CenterIce so I never really cared who carried the NHL. Plus, I go to my share of games in person.

There is no way OLN can do worse than ESPN. ESPN did NOTHING for the NHL. All they did was mock it and make fun of it. ESPN is a basketball network and is getting worse. They are becoming the sports version of MTV. Let them continue showing poker and bass fishing. Cheap to produce and morons watching it = money. Yeah, I know.

BTW, I believe the majority of NHL fans do not like Gray Thorne or that tool Melrose. Thorne routinely butchers players' names and Melrose does nothing but predict that the NYR will be in this years Cup Finals...what an idiot.

Sounds like the comcast deal requires them to bring the NHL Network from Canada into the U.S., so that will be kinda neat. 

won't be the same NHL Network as in Canada. The article said they will create a NHL Network. The NHL Network in Cananda is owned by Bell Globemedia and another company.

I wonder why Directv doesn't carry TSN on their sportspak?  That would certainly help promote the sport if it were available in the States. 
because its not authorized to be in the US. ESPN owns part of TSN (along with Bell Globemedia). Do you think ESPN would want competition from a company they own?

But TSN is only authorized for Canada.

I wonder when pricing for NHL Center Ice will be announced, I'll bet it will be a bargain. :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard between 139-179

Just curious, are the announcers like Gary Thorne and Bill Clement going to move over to cover these games or does Comcast have their own people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those guys would be under contract with Disney so they would have to get out of that and be hired by Comcast.

Hey Iceberg,

I know you're a big satellite guy so I'll ask you this.  I'm sure the answer is no, but I don't suppose TSN or the NHL Network can be picked up on Ku band satellite?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sadly, no. They are scrambled.

Just curious, are the announcers like Gary Thorne and Bill Clement going to move over to cover these games or does Comcast have their own people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Clement is definitely lobbying for the job and is a very good color man. With any luck Mike Emrick will sign on as he is clearly the best in the business.

Also, with any luck left over, Gary Thorne will continue to cover Little League baseball and he will not be allowed to continue to refer to Donald Brashear as Jeremy Roenick nor will he be in a psoition to call Justin Williams "Jason" Williams every time he touches the puck. Thorne might be the worst I have ever heard.

Clement is definitely lobbying for the job and is a very good color man. With any luck Mike Emrick will sign on as he is clearly the best in the business.

Also, with any luck left over, Gary Thorne will continue to cover Little League baseball and he will not be allowed to continue to refer to Donald Brashear as Jeremy Roenick nor will he be in a psoition to call Justin Williams "Jason" Williams every time he touches the puck. Thorne might be the worst I have ever heard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry. The worst in the hockey biz belongs to Mike(? or Dave or whoever. I really could care less what his first name is) Edwards of 2000 FF fame. He may have gotten the names right, but he would ridicule players based upon stature (He was always calling Goehring "short stuff") and would always pull for the bigger market team regardless of talent. Him and Dan Moriarty were the worst pairing I've ever heard. Moriarty, is at best, a rink side reporter, not a booth announcer. But, I can't fault Moriarty that much for his 2000 FF performance, Edwards wouldn't let him talk at all.

Thorne is not the worst. Sorry. :glare:

Sorry. The worst in the hockey biz belongs to Mike(? or Dave or whoever. I really could care less what his first name is) Edwards of 2000 FF fame. He may have gotten the names right, but he would ridicule players based upon stature (He was always calling Goehring "short stuff") and would always pull for the bigger market team regardless of talent. Him and Dan Moriarty were the worst pairing I've ever heard. Moriarty, is at best, a rink side reporter, not a booth announcer. But, I can't fault Moriarty that much for his 2000 FF performance, Edwards wouldn't let him talk at all.

Thorne is not the worst. Sorry. :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jack Edwards

You can fault Moriarty, because he was and is terrible.

Yeah, that's the bozo's name. He did NHL games on ABC every now and then.

As for Moriarty, fair enough. :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't care who does it, I am just ready to watch some hockey this fall.

I hope they do pick up Barry Melrose. The guy is awesome.

I suppose the ESPN guys will be looking for jobs because I can't panger and the boys doing NBA basketball.

Those espn hockey boys are definitely looking for jobs. Darren Pang has already signed on wit the yotes. I'm sure Melrose is also hoping for a call from Comcast. One would also think Clement is tired of being forced to call those dumb a$$$ Outdoor Games, log rolling, bb gun shooting, etc. Hockey is the only thing he knows.