SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Joe Vannet played on a pretty good Jamestown team. I remember that game against Fargo North that ND Pride is talking about. Jamestown was leading 4-2 late in the game, gave up two quick ones at the very end, and then lost in overtime (I believe trying to kill a powerplay). Joe had a great season that year, but his team was pretty good as well.

Nice analysis ND Pride.

In the early 90's Jamestown had some good teams. The year Minot won state they took that unbelievable Bismarck High team to double overtime in the semifinals that same tournament. They've dropped off as of late, but I remember the days when the Blue Jays were a tough draw in the tourny. :p

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilbur, you have a good memory to remember the game details like that. Jamestown did have some good teams in the early 90s as you say. In 1990 at State they lost 5-4 to South for 5th place, in 1991 they beat Bismarck 5-4 (OT) for 3rd in the state, in 1992 the beat North 5-2 again for 3rd.

I will give a small summary of the BHS-Hazen game. BHS won 6-1, and looked very good. I have seen both hazen and minot play this season now, and it's tough to believe that hazen beat minot. BHS dominated the game tonight and i believe the final shots announced were something like 30-13. Hillman looked good once again, and I believe Mcbain(gillen's site says he is tied for the points lead) had their only goal, but he didnt stand out too much to me I didn't think. The best player on the ice was Ross Monson. He looked dangerous every time he touched the puck, and I believe he had 3 or 4 points. Also, one of his linemates got a hat trick, but i can't remember who it was.

I will give a small summary of the BHS-Hazen game. BHS won 6-1, and looked very good. I have seen both hazen and minot play this season now, and it's tough to believe that hazen beat minot. BHS dominated the game tonight and i believe the final shots announced were something like 30-13. Hillman looked good once again, and I believe Mcbain(gillen's site says he is tied for the points lead) had their only goal, but he didnt stand out too much to me I didn't think. The best player on the ice was Ross Monson. He looked dangerous every time he touched the puck, and I believe he had 3 or 4 points. Also, one of his linemates got a hat trick, but i can't remember who it was.

I'm guessing # 2 Justin Connell.

Wilbur, you have a good memory to remember the game details like that. Jamestown did have some good teams in the early 90s as you say. In 1990 at State they lost 5-4 to South for 5th place, in 1991 they beat Bismarck 5-4 (OT) for 3rd in the state, in 1992 the beat North 5-2 again for 3rd.

Well, I was only about ten years old when it happened, but that was one of the better games that I've seen. Back then my dad worked for one of the North Dakota NBC affiliates, and he would always request to work the state hockey tournament broadcast (but never the basketball ones of course) and took me along with him. I started attending when I was five with my dad, and haven't missed a state tournament since. :p

PS: Minot did outshoot Hazen 63-26, and playing against a hot goalie on the road....anything can happen.

Tomorrow is February 1st. The Region tournaments are only 16 days away and the State Tournament is only 23 days away. ESPN promos in December sing that college bowl season is "the most wonderful time of the year," ... I beg to differ ... the next three weeks are it for me. Good luck to all the teams the rest of the way.

Tomorrow is February 1st. The Region tournaments are only 16 days away and the State Tournament is only 23 days away. ESPN promos in December sing that college bowl season is "the most wonderful time of the year," ... I beg to differ ... the next three weeks are it for me. Good luck to all the teams the rest of the way.

the region tournaments should be interesting in the EAST the favorites have to be south and red river but i wouldnt be suprised if grafton knocked one of them off, in the WEST its the same old mess where anything can happen although you probably have to lean towards minot

the region tournaments should be interesting in the EAST the favorites have to be south and red river but i wouldnt be suprised if grafton knocked one of them off, in the WEST its the same old mess where anything can happen although you probably have to lean towards minot

i agree with the your analysis with the east region tourny although i dont think Grafton can knock off South. With the west tourny i think it will be tight with hazen just upsetting Minot, and Minot winning close games against Williston, BHS and Devils Lake i think its anyones tournament to win

Careful again. Don't want to call RR and South the two teams to beat until the tourney is actually here. :p

After all, those two schools aren't the top two teams in the state yet.

PS. Or can I cut the bull**** and call Red River and South the top two teams in the state?

Joe Vannett won the Mr. Hockey award as a goalie for Jamestown in 1995. That season Jamestown had a record of 13-6-1. At that time Jamestown was playing in the West Region. North, with a record of 7-14-0 played them in the first game at state and won 5-4 in OT. Matt Stockert who currently coaches Jamestown won Mr. Hockey in 1991 while playing for Jamestown. Jamestown has had two Mr. Hockey award winners.

Our record was a little misleading, there were a lot of suspensions and other problems with the 95 North team. Jamestown was the real deal, if I remember right we played them in the 3rd place game in 96, after losing to RR in double OT in the semi's.

Vannett was a very good goalie. Jamestown also had a couple of brothers named Erstad in the 90's that were pretty good hockey players....and baseball players :p

1. He plays his first and second lines throughout the game even when the score is a blow-out

2. He uses his players to make a name for himself

3. He talks down to every program that doesn't have the prestige that his program has. (thinks that all these other teams should be Jr. Gold AT BEST)

In a 8-0 game or whatever in the 3rd period...why not get some depth on your team and give the 3rd and 4th lines experience. Playing your top 2 lines for an entire game is not what will win you state championships. You think Weisgarber, Campbell, Larson, Powers, Galt ...any of those guys can learn anything from goin out continually after the score is already a blow-out? I don't think so...why not put the younger players in for some game experience.

It's just my opinion...

same from the west .....

MINOT- brown 18.7 shots per game

WILLISTON- haugenoe 21.2

BIS. HIGH- hillman 29

DEVILS LAKE- groves 20.3

HAZEN- hermes 33

CENTURY- dehne 34

DICKINSON- kovacs 28

MANDAN- berger, kline 41.1

BOTTINEAU- lee 37.7

also the top 10 leading scorers form each region

EAST

FS-weisgarber 44 pts

GPR-p. campbell 41 pts

GPR-t. campbell 40 pts

FS-galt 29 pts

FS-larson 28 pts

FS-powers 26 pts

FS-a. campbell 24 pts

GPR-hills 22 pts

FS-wurden 22 pts

GFRR-mihulka 21 pts

WEST

H/B-mcbain 44 pts

MIN-stremick 34 pts

H/Bhaugsted 34 pts

DICK-burke 32 pts

MIN-dittus 32 pts

DICK-leiss 29 pts

MIN-lundy 27 pts

MIN-kelly 26 pts

H/B-phillion 26 pts

WILL-bustad 25 pts

If you found this information on Guilen's site, which I am assuming, it is not up to date. Many game sheets are still missing from point-racking games.

I agree during blowouts you should play all the lines including the 4th line, but until the third period it is hard to just shut down the first and second line. You still need to roll three lines or the 3rd and 4th line will get to tired. I dont think Wilson plays his first line any more than any other coach in ND

I sure hope Minot actually gets beyond the consolation bracket this year. Minot has had some very good teams but there is a mental issue when they play the east for some reason in the state tournament. This started in 1993. In the mid, late 80's and early 90's, Minot did not seem to have the issue and were beating the east schools in the tournament. In 1992, the best teams in the state were from the west region, Minot, Bismarck and Jamestown. I think the only team that could compare to the 1992 Bismarck and Minot squads is this year's FArgo South squad. As I am from Minot, I would like to see them do something this year. I do not think the program has had too much intensity or focus since Bruce Olson left..1992 being the exception.

Any ideas on which of this year's kids will probably play D-1 hockey? I think Galt and Weisgarber for sure, one or two kids from Grafton, probably 2 or 3 kids from Minot and the Jamestown goalie. Any others?

1. He plays his first and second lines throughout the game even when the score is a blow-out

2. He uses his players to make a name for himself

3. He talks down to every program that doesn't have the prestige that his program has. (thinks that all these other teams should be Jr. Gold AT BEST)

In a 8-0 game or whatever in the 3rd period...why not get some depth on your team and give the 3rd and 4th lines experience. Playing your top 2 lines for an entire game is not what will win you state championships. You think Weisgarber, Campbell, Larson, Powers, Galt ...any of those guys can learn anything from goin out continually after the score is already a blow-out? I don't think so...why not put the younger players in for some game experience.

It's just my opinion...

I've been to three South games when they played in GF and Grafton and from what i remember they rolled three lines for the entire game with the exception of power plays and penalty kills.

I sure hope Minot actually gets beyond the consolation bracket this year. Minot has had some very good teams but there is a mental issue when they play the east for some reason in the state tournament. This started in 1993. In the mid, late 80's and early 90's, Minot did not seem to have the issue and were beating the east schools in the tournament. In 1992, the best teams in the state were from the west region, Minot, Bismarck and Jamestown. I think the only team that could compare to the 1992 Bismarck and Minot squads is this year's FArgo South squad. As I am from Minot, I would like to see them do something this year. I do not think the program has had too much intensity or focus since Bruce Olson left..1992 being the exception.

Any ideas on which of this year's kids will probably play D-1 hockey? I think Galt and Weisgarber for sure, one or two kids from Grafton, probably 2 or 3 kids from Minot and the Jamestown goalie. Any others?

Not sure who will probably play D-1 hockey, but I do beleive there are a few players with potential to do so. keep in mind, most ( if not all) players in the state of North Dakota that intend on playing D-1 hockey will have to go through the junior ranks and develop from there. A good question , although not everyone on the forum will agree with who other people think are D-1 material.