SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I didn't get a chance to view the GFC-Minot tilt, could someone please clarify how Minot players are so unsportsmanlike for hitting the crossbar with their sticks after an ENG? I mean. I've seen that in the WCHA, the NCAA playoffs, the NHL, International competitions.... I always thought it meant the players were frustrated and disappointed?

Or am I wrong and the Minot players actually broke their sticks over a GFC player/coach/mascot/fan/bench?

I think some people are building it up too much. Yeah, I don't like when it happens, but it was out of frustration, not out of disrespect for the other team. I've seen kids from every team do it, and I'd rather see them break their stick over the goal post or the bench, then over another kids arm... :huh:

They shouldn't have done it, but had Minot won and the GFC players done the same thing I really don't think anyone would have mentioned anything.

From what I saw:

South had a lot of chances. Devils Lake isn't getting the credit they deserve. They play a system that doesn't give up a lot of chances, and they did a great job letting their goaltender see the puck. South worked for their chances, and every goal they scored was earned.

Red River was flat. After it was 4-1 in the third I think they kind of turned it down a gear. Bismarck got a goal and then another power play goal, and Red River had to wake up a little bit. Hillman played pretty well for Bismarck High, and I don't think that Rosendahl played his best game.

I'll still predict a Red River-South title tilt.

Wilbur do you talk to Jordan Willert at all? I was just wondering if you know his plans for next year. Is he going to stay at Tri-City or go to college or what? Also if anyone knows what Mario Lamoreaux and Jordan McIntyre are going to do next year that would be nice to know also?

Anybody know where this year's high school kids are going next year that would be good to know also. (Team ND tryouts, Juniors -A, B, or C, College) just wondering so I can track them a little bit.

Wilbur do you talk to Jordan Willert at all? I was just wondering if you know his plans for next year. Is he going to stay at Tri-City or go to college or what? Also if anyone knows what Mario Lamoreaux and Jordan McIntyre are going to do next year that would be nice to know also?

Anybody know where this year's high school kids are going next year that would be good to know also. (Team ND tryouts, Juniors -A, B, or C, College) just wondering so I can track them a little bit.

I haven't talked to him since the summer, but he said he would like to play a couple years of junior hockey, and possibly sign/verbal with a school in the near future. That was this summer, but like I said I haven't talked to him since. I talked to his dad a couple of weeks ago, and it sounded like he was enjoying the junior hockey experience.

Just an interesting fact i heard on the news tonight.... That was Minots 13th straight 1st round loss tonight.

(Sorry Wilber for posting this.)

No, its okay. Minot's coach had a great quote in the Bismarck tribune today. "For the West Region teams most of (the problem) has been between the ears. West teams strive so much to win that first game that it becomes a hindrance."

He is absolutely right (IMHO). Minot plays like a completely different team on the first day of the state tournament. And I think the mental aspect does play a big part.

There should be one good game I think on opening day that being the Minot/Central game which I think can go either way buy I expect Central to come out of the chutes after their poor performance at the EDC tournament.

Central 3 Minot 2

South 6 Devils Lake 0

GPR 5 Williston 2

Red River 4 Bismarck 1

South 5 Central 1

Red River 4 GPR 1

Red River 3 South 2

No, its okay. Minot's coach had a great quote in the Bismarck tribune today. "For the West Region teams most of (the problem) has been between the ears. West teams strive so much to win that first game that it becomes a hindrance."

He is absolutely right (IMHO). Minot plays like a completely different team on the first day of the state tournament. And I think the mental aspect does play a big part.

I think your both right. After Central scored their third goal the Minot players started to hang their heads. There was still plenty of time left but they just looked beaten at that point. But overall I thought the West teams played pretty well.

Today wasn't South's best game, but they had a ton of chances. There were 2 or 3 shots off the post that easily could have gone in, plus a few passes in front of the net that just missed. I will give the Devils Lake defense some credit for not letting these goals in, but South easily could have scored a few more goals, while Devils Lake basically took advantage of their biggest scoring chances. I'm not too worried about tomorrow's game, since they just played Central recently and won 7-1, but of course anything can happen. South's biggest strength (in my opinion) is their depth, which is why they have been playing their best in the second period when the other team is worn out and South is still fairly fresh with three lines playing pretty much equal minutes and producing. I don't remember which line was on the ice for the second goal today, but the third line scored 2 of the first 3 goals today before the first line added the last 2 goals.

Quickly on the other games - I missed the first one so I have no comment on that one. I watched most of the last 3 games and the most evenly matched game was GPR vs. Williston, even though the score ended up the most lopsided. I was pretty impressed by Williston, but they gave up a couple soft goals I thought (4 goals on 8 shots in the 2nd) and couldn't put any goals in when it was scoreless for almost the whole first half of the game. I think Williston could beat Grafton if they played again, especially if they were totally healthy.

I thought Red River basically dominated their game, but obviously didn't put the game away. I left after they went up 4-1 and was surprised to see Bismarck had almost come back. Red River did play well for the first two periods though.

Minot vs. Central - This was a pretty sloppy game I thought. Central was lucky to be able to not let things snowball out of control after Minot scored the first goal in about 25 seconds. I thought that this game could've gone either way, with both teams getting the same amount of chances.

Devils Lake vs. South - I was very impressed by the way that Devils Lake played this afternoon. They controlled South for the most part and didn't give up a ton of point-blank chances, but when they did, South either missed or their goalie made a great save. Devils Lake should be able to come into the East next year and have a legitimate chance of making state, no question. They're a good, young, hard working team with a good deal of potential.

Grafton vs. Williston - I thought that the final score of this game didn't really indicate how close it was. If Williston would've come out and scored the first goal, I wouldn't have been surprised if they would've won. Also, I was impressed with Williston's power play, they had alot of good chances.

Red River vs. Bismarck - This one wasn't as close as it seemed. Red River dominated the game, but it looked like Red River was just going through the motions at some points. Michael Hillman was good, better than Tony Kringstad IMO. The Riders will need a better performance tomorrow nite, however.

Which brings me to tomorrow nite:

South vs. Central - IF Central can do what Devils Lake did today - not take too many penalties, contain South and not be too aggressive, then they may be able to stick with them. This, obviously, is easier said than done. I see South coming out fast tomorrow nite and winning easily, 6-2.

Red River vs. Grafton - I think that Bismarck posed more of a challenge to Red River than Grafton will. Grafton and Bismarck are quite similar, one good line and not a whole lot else. If Red River can contain just one of the Campbells I think they'll be fine. Kringstad is not nearly the goalie Hillman is, and if Red River gets to him early he can lose it and start letting in weak goals. My guess is that Red River will come out playing like they have something to prove and win easily, 5-1.

Today wasn't South's best game, but they had a ton of chances. There were 2 or 3 shots off the post that easily could have gone in, plus a few passes in front of the net that just missed. I will give the Devils Lake defense some credit for not letting these goals in, but South easily could have scored a few more goals, while Devils Lake basically took advantage of their biggest scoring chances. I'm not too worried about tomorrow's game, since they just played Central recently and won 7-1, but of course anything can happen. South's biggest strength (in my opinion) is their depth, which is why they have been playing their best in the second period when the other team is worn out and South is still fairly fresh with three lines playing pretty much equal minutes and producing. I don't remember which line was on the ice for the second goal today, but the third line scored 2 of the first 3 goals today before the first line added the last 2 goals.

Quickly on the other games - I missed the first one so I have no comment on that one. I watched most of the last 3 games and the most evenly matched game was GPR vs. Williston, even though the score ended up the most lopsided. I was pretty impressed by Williston, but they gave up a couple soft goals I thought (4 goals on 8 shots in the 2nd) and couldn't put any goals in when it was scoreless for almost the whole first half of the game. I think Williston could beat Grafton if they played again, especially if they were totally healthy.

I thought Red River basically dominated their game, but obviously didn't put the game away. I left after they went up 4-1 and was surprised to see Bismarck had almost come back. Red River did play well for the first two periods though.

South's third line was on the ice for the first 3 goals...and one thing i think that kept this game close was that there was not any flow. all devil's lake would do was ice the puck. i noticed this in all four games today...it seemed like icing the puck was the western teams breakout...

On a seperate note, here are my Day 1 Awards:

Best Dressed: Thomas Campbell (Grafton) Looked good in the suit

Best Streak Kept Alive: Red River, 13 straight years making the State Semifinals.

Most Surprising: Devils Lake winning 1-0 after 1 period

Best Piercing: Justin Connell of Bismarck, 2 in the ears, 1 in the tounge (the tounge stud won it for him)

Best Joke, with Apologies to Wilbur: "You know it's a Thursday at the State Tournament when Minot loses"

Ugliest Hair: Zack Herrmann (#12 Bismarck)

Most Outlandish Celebration: Tony Kringstad going over to the Grafton students section and banging on the glass with his stick, after Grafton scored to make it 5-1.

Best Performance: Thomas Campbell 1 goal, 3 assists

Worst Hair Style (as a Team): Bismarck for the "Skullets"

Those are the awards for today, congrats to everyone who took them home!

Day one thoughts:

Game One: Minot underachieved once again. GFC advances.

Game two: Devils Lake forces South to play their style and hangs in with the Bruins. South might roll past everyone else big time. Devils Lake will need to be reckoned with next year in the EDC.

Game three: G/PR sneaks one out. Williston outshoots and out plays Spoilers. Campbells and Kringstad solidify the win.

Game four: RR does what they always do, and win. Bismarck shoots themselves in the foot with dumb penalties in the end.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get 2 upsets tomorrow. From what I hear RR and FS were lackluster and GFC and Grafton were great. That's just what I hear...

Well, you are hearing this from a complete and utter moron. SOUTH AND RED RIVER ARE THE TWO BEST TEAMS IN THE STATE. THEY WILL BE PLAYING FOR THE STATE TITLE. They didn't play their best games Thursday, but I'm sure they weren't real worried about Bismarck or Devil's Lake. Grafton is the only team that stands a remote chance (and I mean an extremely remote chance) of winning tomorrow.

On a seperate note, here are my Day 1 Awards:

Best Dressed: Thomas Campbell (Grafton) Looked good in the suit

Best Streak Kept Alive: Red River, 13 straight years making the State Semifinals.

Most Surprising: Devils Lake winning 1-0 after 1 period

Best Piercing: Justin Connell of Bismarck, 2 in the ears, 1 in the tounge (the tounge stud won it for him)

Best Joke, with Apologies to Wilbur: "You know it's a Thursday at the State Tournament when Minot loses"

Ugliest Hair: Zack Herrmann (#12 Bismarck)

Most Outlandish Celebration: Tony Kringstad going over to the Grafton students section and banging on the glass with his stick, after Grafton scored to make it 5-1.

Best Performance: Thomas Campbell 1 goal, 3 assists

Worst Hair Style (as a Team): Bismarck for the "Skullets"

Those are the awards for today, congrats to everyone who took them home!

Hey "BrokeBack tron3050" you should spend more time watching the sport and less time checking out the guys. I didn't know we ahd desperate rink fans in the audiance. Men's swimming is coming up, why not go check that out instead of a real man's sport.

Hey "BrokeBack tron3050" you should spend more time watching the sport and less time checking out the guys. I didn't know we ahd desperate rink fans in the audiance. Men's swimming is coming up, why not go check that out instead of a real man's sport.

OUTSTANDING SENIOR ATHLETE AWARD NOMINEES

Paul Weisgarber FS

Erick Galt FS

Paul Campbell GPR

Tyler Jundt WIL

I am a South fan as all of you can tell, but I do feel badely that Mihulka was not nominated for this award. He really did deserve it. All of the finalists did deserve it though and I don't think I would take any of them off the list to put Mihulka on, just a bad break for him

OUTSTANDING SENIOR ATHLETE AWARD NOMINEES

Paul Weisgarber FS

Erick Galt FS

Paul Campbell GPR

Tyler Jundt WIL

I am a South fan as all of you can tell, but I do feel badely that Mihulka was not nominated for this award. He really did deserve it. All of the finalists did deserve it though and I don't think I would take any of them off the list to put Mihulka on, just a bad break for him

You wouldn't take off Tyler Jundt for Mihulka??