SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

The NDHSAA a couple years ago started region senior athletes of the year awards and the Coaches Association sponsors these awards and then they name a state senior athlete of the year. Mr. and Miss Hockey have been MEDIA Sponsored and run awards. NDHSAA has no ties to the Mr. and Miss Hockey Awards. Now the Sr. Athlete Award and Mr. and Miss Hockey awards are both voted on by the STATES COACHES. The Mr. and Miss Hockey Awards are voted on during the week of EDC AND WDA. The Region Sr. Athlete Awards are voted on at the coaches meeting at the region tournaments. When Kevin Fee at the Grand Forks Herald [Mr. Hockey Coordinator] stopped running the award, Bob Gillen took the bull and ran with the coordination of the award since he does the stats and web site and is in constat communication with the states coaches.

After last state hockey tournament, the NDHSAA told Gillen that the NDHSAA will not regogniz the Mr. and Miss Hockey award at state tournaments anymore as they are media driven awards and not NDHSAA Sponsored awards. This also goes for basketball, volleyball etc. The media can release these awards but they can not be part of the awards ceremony at state events.

Now...since the hockey award is not voted on by Media anymore, we have two awards basically naming the same person being voted on by the same group....the coaches of the state. NDHSAA said to keep this part of the awards ceremony at the state tournament and since it is voted on by the coaches, they suggested we drop the Mr. and Miss Hockey titles and begin calling it the Outstanding Senior Award. They said it would look bad if a regional Sr. Athlete was not one of the finalists for the old Mr. and Miss Hockey Awards. So we have to change this year to get in line with NDHSAA. This means we have to have the two regional finalists and the top two vote getters from the voting done previous to the Region Tournaments. Are we going to miss one or two great senior hockey players from this process? YES! The 18- coaches will vote at the Saturday Coaches Meeting and the Outstanding Senior Athlete will be announced Saturday Night. This whole process has been discussed at both region coaches meetings and is also an item on the agenda for the Saturday State Coaches Meeting as to what the process and future of the award should and will be. The coaches have recommendations and the NDHSAA Reps will have thier idea's and what will happen will only be speculative for now. Hope this clears up this topic for now?

This pretty much matches what I said yesterday. I was accused of smoking crack and my source was called a liar!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there must be some mistake, just ask DaveK. The offender could not have been a Fargo South Player. Fargo South never does anything classless. They are the shining beacon of sportsmanship in the state of North Dakota. It must have been a Red River or Central player disguised as a Fargo South player that did the slash. After all, Grand Forks is the worst when it comes to sportsmanship, just ask DaveK.

Great post. DaveK loves to sing that verse. As a matter of fact if you were to look at post # 31 in the UND at Bisonville post in the UND Community section of this forum you would see more of the same thing as he is labeling NDSU fans as being "classless". This continued attack on Red River and other teams is getting old.

I don't disagree with you, but if you let EDC swing your vote, as some here have indicated, you'd have to factor in the fact that Erick lost the puck behind the net on the power play which resulted in Mihulka's short-handed game-winner in the EDC championship. Arguably that single play won the game for Red River since it put them up by two instead of South later tying the game and having the momentum. If you let that game swing your vote, you'd have to let the deciding play swing your vote, which would almost force you to vote for Mihulka.

Personally I don't think you should base anything on one play or even one game. But since the voters can't see all the games, individual games can sway the voting a lot more than they should, especially postseason games. With that said, I do think Weisgarber will win it, based mostly on numbers and a good performance at EDC (although overshadowed by Mihulka). I don't think it will be a landslide, and I wouldn't be surprised if any of them won it, since their numbers and records are so comparable on paper.

Erick Galt actually got hooked behind the net (big missed call) and he scored a goal he did all he could to help his team win. Not knocking Mihulka, but it was a missed call

I know this fact because i saw #8 (Labernik) playing in all the games. And if im not mistaken it couldn't have been anyone else because i believe all the Varsity and JV players have their own jerseys.

I heard from a source that the kid broke the growth plate in his wrist? If that was the case there is no way he was playing.

I heard from a source that the kid broke the growth plate in his wrist? If that was the case there is no way he was playing.

Well, he received medical care for the injury and wore a splint although I do not know for how long. He did play in EDC and there was no talk from those closest to the situation about any broken growth plate.

so reading all these posts, I get the feeling that of all the all east region selections besides Wurden never had a misconduct or unsportsmanlike penalty. He was not included because of one penalty? All of the other selections are mistake free players and have never taken a penalty in the heat of the battle.

so reading all these posts, I get the feeling that of all the all east region selections besides Wurden never had a misconduct or unsportsmanlike penalty. He was not included because of one penalty? All of the other selections are mistake free players and have never taken a penalty in the heat of the battle.

I'm a South fan but what he did was one of the cheapest things i've seen done. 2 hand some guy after the game is over??? That isn't cool. So ya that could keep him off. That stinks for him because hed be a candidate for mr. hockey next year

It's not a matter of where he is from, becasue he's been playing hockey in Fargo for 4 or 5 years. That type of behavior is not tolerated at RR or Central, Malm or Bina would have had a spot for him on the bench. Wilson is a classless coach and it shows through in his players sometimes. Also, it was nice of Wilson to talk to the Forum after Saturday's loss, or is he the one who had no comment.

It's not a matter of where he is from, becasue he's been playing hockey in Fargo for 4 or 5 years. That type of behavior is not tolerated at RR or Central, Malm or Bina would have had a spot for him on the bench. Wilson is a classless coach and it shows through in his players sometimes. Also, it was nice of Wilson to talk to the Forum after Saturday's loss, or is he the one who had no comment.

i wouldnt have much to say either if my team played one of their worst games of the year

i wouldnt have much to say either if my team played one of their worst games of the year

It doesnt matter how bad your team played, as the head coach you are an ambassador for your team to the press and it sends a pretty bad message when he is too immature to comment on the game. It's that kind of thing that probably influences why the Forum covers Moorhead hockey more than FSH. If a proffesional coach ditches a post-game press confrence they are hit with big fines, if you cant handle the heat, than get out of the kitchen.

It doesnt matter how bad your team played, as the head coach you are an ambassador for your team to the press and it sends a pretty bad message when he is too immature to comment on the game. It's that kind of thing that probably influences why the Forum covers Moorhead hockey more than FSH. If a proffesional coach ditches a post-game press confrence they are hit with big fines, if you cant handle the heat, than get out of the kitchen.

lol it's HIGHSCHOOL!!!! U dont have to report every game!!!!!

I agree with QBEagles it is too bad that there is not more sportmanship from the top. As for the comment of cory1 about south playing one of their worst games - well, that is the kind of whinning you hear all the time from south fans when they lose or do not win big time - we played badly blah, blah, blah. Well maybe you played badly because the other team played better, your kids did not produce on that given day, maybe they choked, or are too cocky, etc, etc. South is great for excuses, excuses, excuses. Too bad the leadership at south cannot provide a better example for their players at this important stage of their lives. It will be interesting to see if south is able to win with class or not. A lot of hockey fans are asking that question. :D

It also shows when someone would vote for himself as coach of the year.

I agree with QBEagles it is too bad that there is not more sportmanship from the top. As for the comment of cory1 about south playing one of their worst games - well, that is the kind of whinning you hear all the time from south fans when they lose or do not win big time - we played badly blah, blah, blah. Well maybe you played badly because the other team played better, your kids did not produce on that given day, maybe they choked, or are too cocky, etc, etc. South is great for excuses, excuses, excuses. Too bad the leadership at south cannot provide a better example for their players at this important stage of their lives. It will be interesting to see if south is able to win with class or not. A lot of hockey fans are asking that question. :D

ya they lost..... I've been to all of their games... You are obviously from Grand Forks... A "Neutral" site for the tournaments. right. anyway they did play bad are you scared that they can still compete when they are off of their game?;)? I would be too especially with home ice advantage in every big game of the year....

ya they lost..... I've been to all of their games... You are obviously from Grand Forks... A "Neutral" site for the tournaments. right. anyway they did play bad are you scared that they can still compete when they are off of their game?;)? I would be too especially with home ice advantage in every big game of the year....

Home ice? Just because the game is played in Grand Forks? How easily you forget that Fargo is an hour away and is a very easy drive. If you would've noticed Saturday, the crowd was about equal for both teams. I even commented to a friend how full South's student section looked and he agreed.

Which player is your son?

Sorry but I am not from Grand Forks. Yeah, I'm scared. Actually, I'd like to see some sportsmanship from that team regardless of how they play. South does a lot better on their home ice, not fair that they have to play a Grand Forks team in Grand Forks, opps I forgot, I guess they lost at the Coliseum too - ohh well, I think they had a bad game there too. :D

Sorry but I am not from Grand Forks. Yeah, I'm scared. Actually, I'd like to see some sportsmanship from that team regardless of how they play. South does a lot better on their home ice, not fair that they have to play a Grand Forks team in Grand Forks, opps I forgot, I guess they lost at the Coliseum too - ohh well, I think they had a bad game there too.

They actually played very well at the coliseum. Then they got overconfident which seems to be their problem sometimes. Maybe they didn't give it their full effort after being up 3-0 who knows. All I know is South is going to win the championship game 5-1. .. OOPS!!! Not against grand forks though. Grand Forks will be beat in the state semi-final game. Williston!!!!

I love how cory1 can make an excuse for every time South loses. O what that only happened twice this season and both losses were to Red River. You can make an excuse for everything you want but what goes down in the books? Does South go down as the "team that should of won the EDC title and EDC tournament" or does Red River go in their as the "team that won the EDC title and EDC tournament?" If South is supposed to be the "best" team in the state, aren't they supposed to be ready to play every game and not just choose to take nights off. South showed earlier this season they couldn't handle the pressure of winning the EDC title when they blew their 3 goal lead to the Riders in Fargo, they choked in the EDC tournament, so does this mean they will choke again in the State title game? If they happen to lose at the State Tournament, I'm sure you will come on here and say that South just didn't play their best.

I love how cory1 can make an excuse for every time South loses. O what that only happened twice this season and both losses were to Red River. You can make an excuse for everything you want but what goes down in the books? Does South go down as the "team that should of won the EDC title and EDC tournament" or does Red River go in their as the "team that won the EDC title and EDC tournament?" If South is supposed to be the "best" team in the state, aren't they supposed to be ready to play every game and not just choose to take nights off. South showed earlier this season they couldn't handle the pressure of winning the EDC title when they blew their 3 goal lead to the Riders in Fargo, they choked in the EDC tournament, so does this mean they will choke again in the State title game? If they happen to lose at the State Tournament, I'm sure you will come on here and say that South just didn't play their best.

Now I know ur from GF Rider not even gonna waste my time explaining it to you. Your opinion is as biased as mine

And if South wins?

Seriously, IF South wins, what will you do? Will you:

A. Boo like the GFRR crowd did when Mihulka got that award?

B. Simply not show up on this site?

C. Simply not acknowledge that South was better when it counted?

D. Come up with something classless that South did (fans and/or players) that makes them unworthy champs? <-- This I'd be interested in reading because then I can quote this post of yours again and call you a hypocrite.

E. Take the High Road and congratulate Fargo South for breaking up the Grand Forks HS Hockey dynasty even if it is only for one year?

I'm a South alum and even I don't know if South will win. I also recognize GF Red River as being AS good or better than South. However, I'm not about to start a smear campaign against Red River any time soon. I think that's called class.

Wilbur, my ambassador to Western Hockey.

Without Marto does GFC stand a chance against the Mighty Magi?

As usual that is the only game that I believe the West has a fair shot at winning.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but he was the difference last year and is now toiling away in Omaha.