SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a very reliable account Wurden took an unprovoked two hand at Fargo North's Matt Labernik and caused him to have a season ending injury in the South and North's 2nd meeting this season. I'm sure ND Pride will vouch for me on this one.

Well your "reliable account" isn't very reliable because Labernik played all three EDC games. So the injury couldn't have been that bad.

After the last North/South game one of the South players (#11) put a vicious slash on an opposing player sometime after the game had ended. The injured player fell to the ice in pain and later went to the emergency room. Those who saw the slash - it was a hard two handed stick against the wrists - were shocked by it. In the end there were no broken bones and the player was able to play in EDC although the injury hampered him I am told. There were some other EDC coaches at the game and if they saw the situation would think it might shape their opinion of the player. A rather cowardly move but hopefully he will learn some self-control from it. He was assessed 5 and a game although a post game penalty like that certainly could have had further review and maybe additional suspension time.

David Spies would've been the 5th Rider, IMO, over Meland. I think the coaches would've chosen a senior who has played 3 years of varsity over a 1st year sophomore. Granted Meland had more points, but its rare where they chose an underclassman over an older player when they have similar seasons. They had the same amount of goals, but Meland had 5 more assists.

After the last North/South game one of the South players (#11) put a vicious slash on an opposing player sometime after the game had ended. The injured player fell to the ice in pain and later went to the emergency room. Those who saw the slash - it was a hard two handed stick against the wrists - were shocked by it. In the end there were no broken bones and the player was able to play in EDC although the injury hampered him I am told. There were some other EDC coaches at the game and if they saw the situation would think it might shape their opinion of the player. A rather cowardly move but hopefully he will learn some self-control from it. He was assessed 5 and a game although a post game penalty like that certainly could have had further review and maybe additional suspension time.

What do you say Stars call it a draw?

What do you say Stars call it a draw?

Well, the fact is that it is a documented cheap shot and his coach could have benched him for a period to reinforce the need for self-control. Stars9 - the information that I provide is based on fact and is reliable - I never said that the kid did not play. The point of Top Shelf's comment is that sportsmanship is important along with playing ability. I don't think anyone who cares about the sport wants to promote goon behavior.

David Spies would've been the 5th Rider, IMO, over Meland. I think the coaches would've chosen a senior who has played 3 years of varsity over a 1st year sophomore. Granted Meland had more points, but its rare where they chose an underclassman over an older player when they have similar seasons. They had the same amount of goals, but Meland had 5 more assists.

Agree. Meland has 2 more years, whereras Spies is a senior. Also, its not like Meland had THAT much better season than Spies.

Well, the fact is that it is a documented cheap shot and his coach could have benched him for a period to reinforce the need for self-control. Stars9 - the information that I provide is based on fact and is reliable - I never said that the kid did not play. The point of Top Shelf's comment is that sportsmanship is important along with playing ability. I don't think anyone who cares about the sport wants to promote goon behavior.

And I trust your information and I agree 100% with that last statement

Thanks for the note. You raise an important point however, when you touched on the sportsmanship thing. I really don't want to touch that one with a ten foot pole but there is, at times, a fairly wide range in sportsmanship with some of the EDC teams. I think it was under more control at EDC because everyone was somewhat afraid, or they should have been, of what the refs might do. Hopefully, state will have a crew that has not decided that the game is all about them. I don't think I have ever seen so many games where the opposing fans were in agreement on one thing.

Thanks for the note. You raise an important point however, when you touched on the sportsmanship thing. I really don't want to touch that one with a ten foot pole but there is, at times, a fairly wide range in sportsmanship with some of the EDC teams. I think it was under more control at EDC because everyone was somewhat afraid, or they should have been, of what the refs might do. Hopefully, state will have a crew that has not decided that the game is all about them. I don't think I have ever seen so many games where the opposing fans were in agreement on one thing.

cough jamestown, bw blades, west fargo cough :D

The NDHSAA a couple years ago started region senior athletes of the year awards and the Coaches Association sponsors these awards and then they name a state senior athlete of the year. Mr. and Miss Hockey have been MEDIA Sponsored and run awards. NDHSAA has no ties to the Mr. and Miss Hockey Awards. Now the Sr. Athlete Award and Mr. and Miss Hockey awards are both voted on by the STATES COACHES. The Mr. and Miss Hockey Awards are voted on during the week of EDC AND WDA. The Region Sr. Athlete Awards are voted on at the coaches meeting at the region tournaments. When Kevin Fee at the Grand Forks Herald [Mr. Hockey Coordinator] stopped running the award, Bob Gillen took the bull and ran with the coordination of the award since he does the stats and web site and is in constat communication with the states coaches.

After last state hockey tournament, the NDHSAA told Gillen that the NDHSAA will not regogniz the Mr. and Miss Hockey award at state tournaments anymore as they are media driven awards and not NDHSAA Sponsored awards. This also goes for basketball, volleyball etc. The media can release these awards but they can not be part of the awards ceremony at state events.

Now...since the hockey award is not voted on by Media anymore, we have two awards basically naming the same person being voted on by the same group....the coaches of the state. NDHSAA said to keep this part of the awards ceremony at the state tournament and since it is voted on by the coaches, they suggested we drop the Mr. and Miss Hockey titles and begin calling it the Outstanding Senior Award. They said it would look bad if a regional Sr. Athlete was not one of the finalists for the old Mr. and Miss Hockey Awards. So we have to change this year to get in line with NDHSAA. This means we have to have the two regional finalists and the top two vote getters from the voting done previous to the Region Tournaments. Are we going to miss one or two great senior hockey players from this process? YES! The 18- coaches will vote at the Saturday Coaches Meeting and the Outstanding Senior Athlete will be announced Saturday Night. This whole process has been discussed at both region coaches meetings and is also an item on the agenda for the Saturday State Coaches Meeting as to what the process and future of the award should and will be. The coaches have recommendations and the NDHSAA Reps will have thier idea's and what will happen will only be speculative for now. Hope this clears up this topic for now?

there must be some mistake, just ask DaveK. The offender could not have been a Fargo South Player. Fargo South never does anything classless. They are the shining beacon of sportsmanship in the state of North Dakota. It must have been a Red River or Central player disguised as a Fargo South player that did the slash. After all, Grand Forks is the worst when it comes to sportsmanship, just ask DaveK.

The NDHSAA a couple years ago started region senior athletes of the year awards and the Coaches Association sponsors these awards and then they name a state senior athlete of the year. Mr. and Miss Hockey have been MEDIA Sponsored and run awards. NDHSAA has no ties to the Mr. and Miss Hockey Awards. Now the Sr. Athlete Award and Mr. and Miss Hockey awards are both voted on by the STATES COACHES.

Why did the media stop running Mr. Hockey? Personally I prefer the idea of an award being voted on by people who aren't on the team or associated with the team.

there must be some mistake, just ask DaveK. The offender could not have been a Fargo South Player. Fargo South never does anything classless. They are the shining beacon of sportsmanship in the state of North Dakota. It must have been a Red River or Central player disguised as a Fargo South player that did the slash. After all, Grand Forks is the worst when it comes to sportsmanship, just ask DaveK.

the South player in question actually did come from Grand Forks