SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

It's a little early to say who will be all state/ won't be all state, will be Mr. Hockey, won't be Mr. Hockey. For example, the most talented player in the state (Tyler Klein), hardly gets any recognition because of the fact that he plays for Fargo North, a struggeling (to say the least) team. Say what you want but if you put him on a Grafton or Fargo South and he would be leading the state in scoring no question. In my humble opinion the favorite to win Mr. Hockey has to be Paul Weisgarber. Not only because he is a model hockey player on the ice, but also off the ice. Paul has the skill, the grades, and the respect of every coach in the state.

On the Klenow winning Mr. Hockey, come on. I don't think its reasonable to believe he has a legitimate shot at winning Mr. Hockey. He's going to have a difficult time making all conference (Not that he doesn't deserve it but he's in the shadow of up and coming Jr. Tyler Klein, and with North low in the conference they will probably only get one All Conference pick which will go to Klein.) However, Coach Erickson may have a shot at the coach of the year honor depending on how his teams turns twords the second half of the season.

"Your most talented player in the state" ripped wahpeton for two points. Also, there is kind of this unwritten rule between the coaches, that players with 3 points going into their christmas tournament don't get considered for all Conference.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im guessing everything but Paul Campbell is a joke.

G: Sean Deichert/ Michael Hillman

D: Eric Galt

D: Andrew Peterson

F: Thomas Campbell

F: Paul Campbell

F: Paul Weisgarber

Mr. Hockey: One of the Pauls

Coach of the Year: Mark Pivetz

Have you seen RR play? Because if you had you would know that Mihulka, Rosendahl, and Galbreath are undoubtedly well deserving.

Have you seen RR play? Because if you had you would know that Mihulka, Rosendahl, and Galbreath are undoubtedly well deserving.

I disagree. While Galbreath and Mihulka have especially stood out, it's tough to pick just 3 forwards in a very tough class. They might be on some people's lists, but not others. If you have seen Michael Hillman from Bismarck play(I've seen him play 3 times this year) he has been absolutely unbelievable. Ask any Fargo South player who the toughest goalie they've played against this year has been. I'm sure they'll tell you it was Michael Hillman. He looked very good in there. But again, depending on who has seen who play, everyone's all state teams would be different.

It's a little early to say who will be all state/ won't be all state, will be Mr. Hockey, won't be Mr. Hockey. For example, the most talented player in the state (Tyler Klein), hardly gets any recognition because of the fact that he plays for Fargo North, a struggeling (to say the least) team. Say what you want but if you put him on a Grafton or Fargo South and he would be leading the state in scoring no question. In my humble opinion the favorite to win Mr. Hockey has to be Paul Weisgarber. Not only because he is a model hockey player on the ice, but also off the ice. Paul has the skill, the grades, and the respect of every coach in the state.

On the Klenow winning Mr. Hockey, come on. I don't think its reasonable to believe he has a legitimate shot at winning Mr. Hockey. He's going to have a difficult time making all conference (Not that he doesn't deserve it but he's in the shadow of up and coming Jr. Tyler Klein, and with North low in the conference they will probably only get one All Conference pick which will go to Klein.) However, Coach Erickson may have a shot at the coach of the year honor depending on how his teams turns twords the second half of the season.

Are you tryin to kid someone? Klein being the most talented player in the state? Perhaps there is a different Tyler Klein that the rest of use are missing?

Are you tryin to kid someone? Klein being the most talented player in the state? Perhaps there is a different Tyler Klein that the rest of use are missing?

It's all about opinions. I can have that correct. Anyways I'm not going to get caught up in this, but in two or three years I'd be willing to bet if you go and look for high school players that have moved on to Jr. A or the college level you'll find Tyler Kleins name.

Great players rise to the top no matter what team or line they are? I think we can all agree that Mark Messier is a great player? In his first few season's playing pro (WHL) his numbers were hardly impressive. Then even when he moved up to the Edmonton Oilers early in his first season he was sent back down to the minors. Even the best players go over some rough water. You cannot play to your full potential without players around you that will help compliment your play.

In any case, I think there are some USHL scouts that will back me if I could just get them to post.

It's all about opinions. I can have that correct. Anyways I'm not going to get caught up in this, but in two or three years I'd be willing to bet if you go and look for high school players that have moved on to Jr. A or the college level you'll find Tyler Kleins name.

Great players rise to the top no matter what team or line they are? I think we can all agree that Mark Messier is a great player? In his first few season's playing pro (WHL) his numbers were hardly impressive. Then even when he moved up to the Edmonton Oilers early in his first season he was sent back down to the minors. Even the best players go over some rough water. You cannot play to your full potential without players around you that will help compliment your play.

In any case, I think there are some USHL scouts that will back me if I could just get them to post.

The league that merged with the NHL was the WHA not WHL. Also, Nick Klenow and Seth Fischer are his linemates both very able body atheletes. He should be producing if he is a decent player.

I have a question. Is MR. Hockey suppose to be the best player in the state or the best citizen?

Well it is both. They take a look at the players hockey skills the most but if it's close then they look to grades and off-ice behavior like with the law and in school.

The league that merged with the NHL was the WHA not WHL. Also, Nick Klenow and Seth Fischer are his linemates both very able body atheletes. He should be producing if he is a decent player.

Ok specifics, im just wondering what it is that you make you opinons on, i mean what has Klein done to make you believe any of that? If my sources are correct Klein finished about fifth or sixth on the Elite 2 team points wise. And i believe that team took second in the final tournament, so there he was playing with good players and still finished behind four other kids who mostly play on the second lines for their teams. If Klein played for a Grafton or a South, ya he would probably produce a little and get maybe twenty to thirty points but beat out the Campbells or Weisgarber? come on

Great post!!! Granted, Moorhead has had a lot of success over the past 15 years or so... but it does get more than a bit obnoxious how they're put up on such a pedestal while South gets virtually no recognition. I'm taking my boys to the game on Tuesday to hopefully see the Bruins shock the world.

I think it will be a great High school hockey game. If anyone is fortunate enough to be able to attend, could they write alittle bit about it on here. I am hoping to get down there but, one of my best workers is out with a bad back, so unless I can fill his spot I won't be able to leave the shop in time. ND Pride I would appreciate it if you could give me a summery. Also, I'll talk to the sports editor Dave Jurgens at our next alumini meeting, (if he shows that is).

Edited by X2theZ

Ok specifics, im just wondering what it is that you make you opinons on, i mean what has Klein done to make you believe any of that? If my sources are correct Klein finished about fifth or sixth on the Elite 2 team points wise. And i believe that team took second in the final tournament, so there he was playing with good players and still finished behind four other kids who mostly play on the second lines for their teams. If Klein played for a Grafton or a South, ya he would probably produce a little and get maybe twenty to thirty points but beat out the Campbells or Weisgarber? come on

I haven't seen any stats for that team. Who all finished ahead of Klein?

I can assure you every statement I make about a specific player on this site I'll back it with some valuable information and I apologize for not stating it. Last season Tyler Klein had 22 goals and 8 assists for 30 points. That put him at 25th in the state for scoring. Fourteen of the players above him have moved on from high school hockey. There is one returning player in the state that scored more goals than Klein, that being Paul Campell with 24. Don't get me wrong, hockey is not all about goals and points. As a matter of fact goals and points should be the last thing you look at when determining how well someone is performing. Slow starts are not uncommon for players and there are so many other variables that play into how many points a player has at any given time you cannot judge a player solely on that. I have seen players play the best games of there lives and walk away pointless. On the other hand I've seen players play sloppy and sluggish and leave the game with 3 or 4 points. What I am getting at is, don't base your opinions on a player because of where he stands in the point totals. A hockey player by definition does more than score goals, so don't judge him on that. Maybe we could get his faceoff percentage, blocked shots, or takeouts on here? On Klein playing with Klenow and Fischer, I'm not going to disagree with the fact that they and he should probably be producing more. But you have to go out and play the game ever night and some times your not going to just get points because your line is the most talented. Thats just how it works, I guess it still amazes me sometimes too. The lack of production out of those three this year is something very rare, and I doubt that lack of production will last much longer.

First off, thinking that, should South win, will "shut up the Minnesota crowd" is just flat out wrong. They have years of dominance between the two states to fall back on where we are relatively newer and only really strong hockey-wise in a certain geographic portion of the state. To me, this whole argument sounds like the DI boards on USCHO where Harvard and other ECACHL fans keep saying that their split at UND will finally give them and the ECACHL the respect it deserves compared to the WCHA or even the HEA. Even if South beats Moorhead 27-0 what you all want won't happen. Minnesota hockey fans are far too arrogant to admit that any other state's program can be on par (or better) than theirs.

Secondly, as a South alum, I hope to see South win. However, it is only because it is my alum and not because I have a vendetta against Moorhead or Minnesota hockey.

South should shoot for the win and South's fans should root for South. Expecting any change in attitudes on the Minnesota side will only make you very disappointed.

Flame away.

First off, thinking that, should South win, will "shut up the Minnesota crowd" is just flat out wrong. They have years of dominance between the two states to fall back on where we are relatively newer and only really strong hockey-wise in a certain geographic portion of the state. To me, this whole argument sounds like the DI boards on USCHO where Harvard and other ECACHL fans keep saying that their split at UND will finally give them and the ECACHL the respect it deserves compared to the WCHA or even the HEA. Even if South beats Moorhead 27-0 what you all want won't happen. Minnesota hockey fans are far too arrogant to admit that any other state's program can be on par (or better) than theirs.

Secondly, as a South alum, I hope to see South win. However, it is only because it is my alum and not because I have a vendetta against Moorhead or Minnesota hockey.

South should shoot for the win and South's fans should root for South. Expecting any change in attitudes on the Minnesota side will only make you very disappointed.

Flame away.

Not trying to get too off track here but I'm sure UND would have won if they had Jonathon Toews, T.J. Oshie, Taylor Chorney, and Brian Lee back.

Moorhead 5-2, South will put up a good fight in the first couple of periods then Moorhead will pull away.

sorrry, but i don't see south giving up 5 goals. they haven't given up more than 2 to anybody this year. Moorhead is good, but south's defense and goaltending are pretty tough.