SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Championships

jk

A thread on USCHO suggests that Parise and Jones from UND are locks to make the US WJC team. The US team plays the following preliminary schedule:

12/26 Russia

12/28 Switzerland

12/30 Belarus

12/31 Slovakia

Then medal round play takes place from January 2-5.

UND would be without those players for the holiday tournament games on December 27 (Brown) and 28 (Manitoba/Bemidji). They would also miss the CC series at REA on January 3-4. Just to keep things fair, CC's Brett Sterling and Mark Stuart are also expected to play for Team USA, and miss those games.

I'm guessing everyone will be ready for the next weekend, when the Sioux visit Mariucci. Thankfully, the tournament is in Nova Scotia, so the players won't be dealing with European jet lag and should be able to get back on schedule pretty easily.

Here's a link to the IIHF site for the tourney:

http://www.iihf.com/hockey/htm/ws202003.htm

Yes, that is going to hurt. I was wondering if Prpich might get some time at D that weekend since he has played some D in the past....Just curious. I know Hakstol recently said that they can pretty easily roll 5 D men, and often do in late stages of close games. But for a whole weekend, I wonder if the guys get tired.

Since they've had the best recruiting class in the country for many years, I'm not worried about their depth. They'll probably have to face BC without those guys, but BC will be missing two players as well. Then they have SCSU, which doesn't have anyone on the US team. That will be a tough one for MN.

To be without the "Matts" will be a disadvantage, however, I'll be happy to see Lee Marvin get some game time. He'll have the holiday tourney to get back into "game" flow and then have CC next. When I've seen him play he seems to be a physical presence on the ice. My main concern is that there are no fights/injuries during the holiday tourney so as to decrease the the number of eligible players for the CC series.