SiouxSports.com Forum

Major Cirrus expansion in G.F.

jimdahl

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Cirrus expands.

Lays off bunch of people recently down to 75 workers.

Owes the city $850,000 in back rent.

Last month Cirrus was sold to a Chinese Company.

I hate to correct you but the figure reported in the Herald recently was that they owe us $1.5 million in back rent.

And the geniuses in the Grand Forks Government bought 699,000 shares of their stock. I think if they want to play the market they should spend their own money. Never mind that governments owning stock in a private business is contrary to the ND constitution, Section X article 18.

Maybe some would say this was a good idea but when did the public have a chance to weigh in?

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/grand-forks-economic-development-showpiece-sold-to-china/#comment-160759903

I hate to correct you but the figure reported in the Herald recently was that they owe us $1.5 million in back rent.

Yeah sorry. I ain't a blogger, I just post what I remember what I read a while back. It appears it has changed since then.

Just noticed Jim gave me props six year ago. :love:

Cratter gets props for first mention of this in the GFAFB thread

That's what I get for being optimistic. Has G.F. ever had a notable economic development success? Sigh.

Well LM Windpower seems to be doing well so far. But of course that industry benefits from mandates and subsidies. I don't believe that has paid for itself, but I really don't know. I've been unable to determine just how much we've given them.

In my opinion it's immoral to take my money against my will and give it to a private enterprise. The people that wrote that section of the state constitution apparently felt the same way.

• Upvote 1

LM Wind Power (new name) does seem to be doing well. But they did just lay off 150 workers at the Grand Forks plant.

Being the worlds largest maker of wind turbine blades, I would think they will recover. Especially with what seems to be a trend lately to "Go Green" and the countries emphasis on renewable resources (energy).

On the other note. USA has a long way to go before we see more wind farms. ND should have 88 wind farms by now.