SiouxSports.com Forum

archibald

hrkac

the interview with "archie" was hillarious friday night. i can't believe katie o' had jim give somewhat of a play-by-play of the event. only in North Dakota :angry: anyway, i was wondering if anyone out there has a copy of that game? i'd love to watch it to see how the whole thing transpired. if not, is there a way to get a copy from the university or wdaz? i'd appreciate any feedback. on saturday, jim was asked again about the fight and he said,"we (the family) watch it a couple of times a year." WOW!!!!!

I think this was also the game that TV 11 telecast with "Fast " Eddie Schultz and Tim O'Keefe. Ed had the bright idea to do the game from the crowd instead of the press box! Of course when the brawl broke out much of the fun was listening to Eddie get it on with the Badger fanatics! After the game was over, and just before they signed off, Tim O'keefe said, " Just remember, Ed, this was your idea to do this game from down here instead of the press box."

DG

Lost in his colorful legacy is that he was a heck of a hockey player. Sometimes in the WCHA, a guy reaches his senior year and suddenly he towers over the league. Archie had that kind of a senior year.

I was in Duluth for the WCHA Playoff Championship series, in a two-game total-goals format, in 1985, Archie's senior year I believe. UND lost the series (4-4 Friday and 4-3 or 4-2 Saturday), but it was a fantastic series that featured two third-period comebacks by a loaded UMD team. With Watson, Hull, probably Kurvers, and others on the ice, I had UMD fans afterward tell me that Archie was the best player on the ice. By the way, the Sioux squad must also have included Chris Jensen and a couple of freshmen by the names of Hrkac and Joyce. Even though UND lost, that series has a special spot in my memory, for how good the hockey was, how passionate the city was about the Bulldogs, and how nicely we were treated by the UMD fans.

I know one of the Sioux players that was on the ice when the brawl broke out and he said it was one of the scariest things he had ever been a part of because so much was going on that he never knew when he was going to get punched and where the punch was going to come from.

Also, apparently at the old Dane according to the same player, there was a tunnel between the players benches that lead to the beer garden where many Wisco fans were congregated during the brawl. Archie jumped into the tunnel and took off toward the beer garden and the players left on the bench who witnessed this said he was running so fast on the concrete that sparks were flying.

I didn't know what to think of this story, but when watching the replay of the brawl before last Saturday's game, there was Archie in the tunnel having a go with some Wisco fans.

I know one of the Sioux players that was on the ice when the brawl broke out and he said it was one of the scariest things he had ever been a part of because so much was going on that he never knew when he was going to get punched and where the punch was going to come from.

Also, apparently at the old Dane according to the same player, there was a tunnel between the players benches that lead to the beer garden where many Wisco fans were congregated during the brawl. Archie jumped into the tunnel and took off toward the beer garden and the players left on the bench who witnessed this said he was running so fast on the concrete that sparks were flying.

I didn't know what to think of this story, but when watching the replay of the brawl before last Saturday's game, there was Archie in the tunnel having a go with some Wisco fans.

I have heard the same story from people.

The water bottle game was just part of a classic weekend of college hockey. The Sioux were trailing the Badgers by 3 or 4 points. The teams split with each winning 3-0 games. Chelios scored on the 200 foot shot, he was icing the puck while on the penalty kill. It hit a couple feet in front of Jon Casey and bounced over his stick. Ed Schultz was really into the game, but was just learning the sport. He was calling faceoffs at the "special spot" when there had been an offside call. One Badger fan a couple rows in front of him was getting under his skin, and at one point said "I'd like to go down and bop that bozo". He had the nickname of "Mad dog Schultz " for several years.