SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey is Over

dakotadan

Now that the hockey season is over, maybe people will remember we also have a football team. I have a feeling this is going to be a great season. Also, from what I understand DII is paying to have the semi-finals produced for TV this year. I am predicting a run at the National Championship again this year. At the worst I see us playing on ESPN2 for the semi-final.

But, I am going to predict right now that we end up with our 2nd National Championship, at the least our 2nd National Runner Up!

P.S. This is my 500th post!!!!!!!!

New football concept supported; Council OKs TV production funds

By David Pickle

The NCAA News

DALLAS -- From meeting to meeting at the 2005 NCAA Convention, it might have been difficult to identify the common theme for Division II. But after the final gavel fell January 10, the division had committed itself to several courses of action designed to add value to Division II membership and to slow or halt excessive membership migration to Division I...

...The other significant action involved approval of up to $500,000 to produce telecasts of selected championships events that would be made available to cable networks that are committed exclusively to intercollegiate athletics programming. The funding represents the last part of a $3.8 million surplus from the 2003-04 fiscal year. Previously, $3.3 million of that surplus had been devoted to championships initiatives and to the CEO Summit.

Currently, CBS televises the Division II Men's Basketball Championship game while ESPN carries the Division I Women's Basketball Championship game and the Division II Football Championship game.

The proposal will enable Division II to make nine additional telecasts available. In authorizing the expenditure, the Presidents Council identified those contests as the men's and women's basketball semifinals (four games), the baseball championship game, the softball championship game, the women's volleyball championship game and the football semifinal games.

NCAA News

I believe they ment to type DII women's basketball is on ESPN.

Question:  Why is the mens basketball championship on nat'l tv while the football championship is on cable?  Isn't football the most popular sport in the U.S.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point. I think it's because the DII basketball game comes in the package with the DI tournament, that's why it's on CBS. The DII football game is in the package with every other NC$$ championship, that's why it's on ESPN. Or something like that.

Hey bigmrg74,

I like your posts and was wondering how will your squad be next fall?

And are you a closet Sioux Hockey Fan?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm in your guy's closet until GVSU gets our own varsity hockey team. :lol:

GVSU's offense should be pretty good this upcoming season. The only major play that we loose is Micheal Tennessee, but we've got a RB who transfered from Toledo U. to be back with his family here. His mother has been having some health issues I believe. He red-shirted here at GV and his name is Astin Martin, just like James Bond car. We get 2 of our big linemen back this year from medical redshirts, and we should be pretty well set there, as long as Coach Chuck Martin can keep QB Cullen Finnerty's head in the game and not be so conservitive with the playcalling. Rumor also has our HH winner Curt Ames coming back from retiring from pro Football to work with QB's.

On the defensive side of the ball, thats where there are some more questions. We're losing a lot of our big studs there. Keyonta Marshall, our big run stuffing, QB eating DT is gone, and so are a few of our excellent DBs DeJuane Boone, Lucius Hawkins, and Derrick Phillips. We do have a couple of transfers coming in this year, and some are already here and practicing with the team. I'm not sold on them yet, call me old school, but I would like to see guys that come in as freshmen and pay their dues, but if those transfers come in and are all world out there, well, I'll be singing their praises to you guys. :lol:

Rumor also has it that some massive DT from somewhere in Texas is suppost to be transfering to GVSU as well, but nothing has been found on this. I don't think much will ever come of this though. I've turned over a few rocks and haven't found anything concrete about this. And frankly, you can only hide a fat man for so long ya know. ;):lol:;)

Thanks for the update on GVSU.

It our best rival now, too bad we didn't play during the regular season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but meeting in the playoffs has made the three times we've meet so interesting. :lol::silly: Nothing like playing a game with a lot of Marbles on the line. :lol: