SiouxSports.com Forum

DU's Robbie Bina Tribute

airmail

How do you view the "28" stickers worn on the DU helmets this past weekend?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view the "28" stickers worn on the DU helmets this past weekend?

• Tasteful
    • Tacky

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cmon, Fedorov, you know the legal system today.  Nobody can say a word without being sued for millions of dollars.  Look at Colorado football for crying out loud.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not taking on the lawyers here on ss.com. You are on your own on that one. :)

I'm not a lawyer, but I know how they operate. In his defense, Paukovich opens his mouth and "apologizes" and perhaps he's now personally liable (yes, you can make a case that he should be anyways), but my point is that I'm sure the guy was advised by attorneys (whether personal or university) to keep his mouth shut.

I'm not a lawyer, but I know how they operate.  In his defense, Paukovich opens his mouth and "apologizes" and perhaps he's now personally liable (yes, you can make a case that he should be anyways), but my point is that I'm sure the guy was advised by attorneys (whether personal or university) to keep his mouth shut.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Put the sticker on his mouth then.

I'm not a lawyer, but I know how they operate.  In his defense, Paukovich opens his mouth and "apologizes" and perhaps he's now personally liable (yes, you can make a case that he should be anyways), but my point is that I'm sure the guy was advised by attorneys (whether personal or university) to keep his mouth shut.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, that makes it better. I guess it's his attorney that's an a-hole.

Come on Mafia Man, the guy broke the kids neck and said he didn't mean it. A simple call would put his money where his mouth is.

I can't decide whether the sitcker is tastful or tacky.

But I do think the extra game that Paukovich had to sit out due to the hit was a tacky move by Gwozdecky.

Everybody knows that is their opponent had been anyone but Bemidji, Paukovich never would have sat out.

That was more than tacky, it was a disgrace

He said he didn't mean it...cmon, do you think he INTENDED to break Bina's neck? Again, I'm not sticking up for the clown, I just think anything he would have done wouldn't have been enough in the eyes of some here.

That being said, Gwoz suspended a kid for a much LESSER offense in the national championship last season. I believe it was a curfew violation if memory serves me correct. More than a one-game suspension should have been considered in this instance. But, then again, does the fault lie with DU or with the NCAA?

(Climbing atop a small wooden box, formerly used to store soap products.)

I've avoided posting in this thread because I can't decide how I feel about the "tribute". I saw the hit on Robbie in person and I am really surprised the kid is moving, let along walking, home already, etc. That was unquestionably the most vicious check I have ever seen.

I, too was totally incensed at the 2-minute minor penalty; that feeling was only partially ameliorated when it was increased to a major and a game. Gwozdecky's added suspension helped even more. But I still don't know how I feel about the "28" on the Pios helmets.

I know one thing that this whole deal has changed in my mind is that I no longer have any respect for DU or anyone associated with the program. And that's too bad. Denver University is a storied program with a lot of great players and coaches over the years. One of the first college hockey games I ever witnessed was the Pios coming into the "old" Ralph (then the Winter Sports Building) in 1973. The Sioux won, in overtime, against a vasty superior Denver squad, and I was hooked.

I was devasted last year when the tipped shot beat Jordan late in the West Regional final, but I cheered for the Pios as they won their 6th NCAA title.

This past weekend, I screamed and yelled at the television, hoping Bemidji or New Hampshire could beat Denver and end their season. This, in spite of the fact that I have always hoped for an all-WCHA Frozen Four to once and for all shut up all the easterners.

As I said, I am ambivalent about their "tribute"; I don't even care anymore if G. Paukovich gets his "due" from someone. Well, that's not true, I just hope none of the Sioux are involved when he finally does get his payback.

But I will never, ever pull for the Pios to win any match-up, even against the dirty goofies. I just can't stomach it. And that's too bad, for me, for college hockey and for the Pioneers.

(Climbing down now, and returning to my nice warm spot under the rock.)

I don't disagree with anything that's being said here, but, really, everyone's moaning and groaning about DU...what about the NCAA? Do you really think Michigan would suspend its star football receiver for 5 additional games if the NCAA handed down a 1 game suspension as punishment? Or would Illinois or North Carolina suspend a player for the entire Final Four if the NCAA handed down a suspension for their first round game ONLY?

MafiaMan, I agree with your points for the most part.

Siouxyeahyeah, I've rewatched that several times too.

Regardless of whether Adam saw Paukovich approach Bina, he saw where Bina WAS before being planted into the boards. He should have known it was a major penalty.

And, in case anyone is interested, if you watch your tape look down at the bottom of the screen in the fans. You'll see ol #87 stand up, and show the guy behind me the elbow I THOUGHT Paukovich dished out (I hadn't been looking straight at Bina at the time of the hit).