SiouxSports.com Forum

The Coach's Show

forecheck

Coach's Show from Lola's:

Sometimes if you go to another team's building and get one, they'll come to your building and we can sweep them. But if we get swept in St. Cloud, they'll probably come to GF and split. That's the way it seems to work sometimes. (In other words, sweep at home?? :D )

Blais thought it was good to see the hurt and caring by the guys after the Friday loss. Everybody is mad, but it's no one's fault. It's a little better than the garbage cans and water bottles that get kicked around sometimes. :0 The problem is not goaltending, they are going to get the job done. Blais's own rating for his players is 1 (good), 2 (average), 3 (poor). The goaltending so far has been a 2. Players make mistakes all over the ice, but when the goaltender makes a mistake, everyone notices. Individual meetings are going on right now, they go in and talk to Blais (kind of like going to confessionals) and talk about their performance so far, and the general consensus is that our goaltending is pretty good. Siembida said he wants to win a national championship and 2 WCHA championships while he's here, so hopefully he can help us accomplish that. People say UND is a one-line team, but really, so is every team. But Blais thinks right now we have at least two scoring lines, although players like McMahon and Hale have the potential to score 10-15 goals, they just haven't produced yet.

Palmiscino got hit, and yes it was a legal hit after watching the tape, but Blais thinks the SCSU player took 10 steps not 2 steps before hitting Palmo, and he can't believe there wasn't a penalty when it resulted in injury. Palmo has a concussion and is out for a week, with a black eye and stitches. Notermann got cut, too, but he is like a rubber ball, he's hard to hurt. :0

Every good team is going to get beat sometimes. Look at MN, they got beat by Mankato, and everyone around the league was thinking, let Mankato into the league and we'll beat up on them. The team knows they weren't going to go undefeated, and they're happy with leaving St. Cloud with a split.

Archibald is going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame next weekend against Wisconsin. (How fitting is that?) We're starting to get a reputation of being tough guys, but that's ok. As a coach, he has to be careful not to get players or anyone into trouble, but let the players around the league be looking behind them when they play UND. Blais gets fined $1000 if he badmouths a ref, and that's when he goes down and takes a cold shower before an interview. Adam didn't lose the game for us on Friday, but there was a certain amount of disruption, and it took away from the flow of the game.

Alaska isn't off to a very good start. Cygan and Zap are gone. It's going to be a bear of a year this year when Duluth can beat Denver, Mankato beats MN, and Alaska plays CC well.

Greene is making a bit of a reputation for himself, and the refs have been watching him from the getgo, but he has to get into a real good fight before any comparisons can be made to Commodore.

Brady Murray is 3rd in the league in scoring in the BCHL. Blais said they are excited about their recruits, but he can't really talk about potential signees right now.

Fylling is back with Parise and Bochenski. They've played well together, but they got overpowered by seniors on Friday, which is why Spiewak was moved to that line on Saturday. He doesn't think Parise's line was outplayed on Friday, though.

We could lose Parise and Jones to the World Junior Tournament. The schedule isn't very good, especially for the fans, but according to Blais, the team is so doggone exciting that even over Christmas break, people are going to keep coming to watch the team play. This kind of schedule shouldn't happen again, though, next year we have a really good schedule.

World Junior Tournament info has to be in the mail by tomorrow night, and Blais thinks we are 1 of 3 communities in the running for hosting the tourney. There would be 10 teams here for almost 3 weeks, with very talented players, and it brings in a lot of money. Bochenski probably wouldn't make the tournament because they questioned his skating abilities.

Virgil Hill is going to drop the puck on Friday night. Alaska coach John Hill was looking for some points last year, and they got some, but hopefully they aren't looking for any this year, because they aren't going to get any. :0

Any word on where Spiewak will skate, if not with Parise and Bochenski??? Will he keep Massen, Noterman, and Lunbohm together?? They played well together, I would hate to break them up so soon. I would like to see Canady back in the lineup. I like his hustle, he just has to slow down and THINK ever so often!!! Let's come away from this weekend with 2 wins.

I like to hear Blais public comments on the goaltenders.

Question on the World Junior Tournaments. What year would that be for?

I also like Blais' comments on Hale and McMahon's potential to score. I agree and hope to see it start to happen soon.

I realize that I am reading someone's synopsis of an interview they heard on the radio(?) but there seems to be an optimistic tone to Blais comments. Forecheck, is that the way you heard it too?

Thanks for taking the time to post. This stuff is great for us who can't listen in.

forecheck, was that you who called and asked Blais about Adam talking to Greene at SCSU? If so, Blais was certainly impressed with your hockey knowledge. :D

forecheck touched on this, but one thing that struck me about what Blais said tonight was that this team has great chemistry and "You can't recruit that." While saying that he didn't think this was a national championship team, he sort of hinted that perhaps he thinks it has something special going for it.

Blais mentioned that he liked the way the guys reacted after losing to the Huskies last Friday and the way they stood up for Palmiscno after he got leveled.

It sounded to me as if Tim Hennessy didn't totally buy Blais' comments about goaltending. He cited Brandt's and Siembida's save percentages and asked Blais if they didn't have to get better.

Overall, Blais was very positive and joked around quite a bit with Tim and Swyg. He sounded very relaxed.

forecheck, was that you who called and asked Blais about Adam talking to Greene at SCSU? If so, Blais was certainly impressed with your hockey knowledge. :0

How in the world did you figure that out? I was hoping no one would notice. When they said the phone number, I just picked up the phone, figuring I had plenty of time to think of an intelligent question to ask. Wrong. Next thing you know, I hear the music in my phone, and I got tongue tied, and then I swooned when I heard Blais actually talking to me. :0 I couldn't think of what to say, and then they really threw me off when they asked if I was at the games, and I forgot what I was going to say. I was hoping that he would tell us what Adam was saying to Greene, though. I think it's safe to say I don't have Brian Canady's interview charm. Blais was probably just being nice to the challenged girl who figured out how to use a phone. :D I just remembered something else he said though. They mentioned how Schneider said in the morning show that he was watching the SCSU player's face, and he looked terrified about going up against Greene, and wanted nothing to do with him. It wasn't even Greene's fault that the stick flew out and hit Adam, but he got the misconduct.

No word on where Spiewak is skating. The only line he mentioned was the Parise/Bochenski/Fylling line. I'm also hoping he keeps Lundbohm, Notermann, and Massen together. I don't see how he can't when they're playing so well together. I'm thinking they'll start on Friday, since he doesn't seem to like to start Parise's line.

Dagies, maybe it's the free food, or maybe Tim just puts Blais in a good mood, but they're always joking around on the Coach's Show, and it does seem like Blais is pretty optimistic. I was surprised when he said that goaltending is not a problem, personally. He mentioned that it is the toughest position to play, but he must see something in practice that gives him confidence in these guys. If he would have open practices in the new Ralph, I'd go see for myself. ;) I went back and edited my post, but I thought about it, and wondered if Blais thinks we can sweep SCSU at home after splitting with them on the road? All I know, is that I wish they would bring back last year's championship video that they played before the Sioux lineup. It's much more intimidating and impressive than this year's video, and it could be a little history lesson for SCSU when they visit. :0

I really like that Blais feels we have at least 2 good scoring lines right now, and that there are still players on the 3rd and 4th lines with the potential to score quite a bit. The depth on this team seems to become more and more apparent.

forecheck touched on this, but one thing that struck me about what Blais said tonight was that this team has great chemistry and "You can't recruit that." While saying that he didn't think this was a national championship team, he sort of hinted that perhaps he thinks it has something special going for it.

This speaks to me of the important role that Spiewak, Notermann, Hale and Leinweber are playing in the continuity of the program. They are bridging the gap from the Blake/Panzer/Goren era to the Parise/Bochenski/Murray(?) era, teaching the next generation what it means to wear the sweater. As the wise one in St. Cloud said, talent can only take you so far. He actually was right. The seniors have won a ring, they know what it takes, and they are trying to build a committed team of their own.

I'm glad that Blais isn't talking about contending for a national title this year, but I'll bet he'd like to see the team take a shot at putting together a four-game winning streak to end the year. Just make it to the last sixteen teams, and play that tight-checking transition game and see what happens.

And while I don't think the Sioux are a Top 5 team right now, it's interesting to see BC and UND in the one and four spots. Deja vu all over again.

As always, thank you! Those of us who cannot listen appreciate getting whatever inside scoop we can.

Too bad about Palmiscno's concussion. He is a skilled puckhandler and has the top faceoff % on the team. Next season, I expect him to crack the lineup for most every game.

All I know, is that I wish they would bring back last year's championship video that they played before the Sioux lineup.  

amen, forecheck. that video should be played until they have to edit it to add an 8th title segment. i made the same comments after i saw the new one a couple of times. the "new ice,same tradition" thing should be used for a couple of years. it seemed to really get the crowd going as well! i'll call ralph and tell him :D

My .02 cents ...... I like the new intro on the board. The one from last year was awesome (highlighting the championships) however, a change is good (although as mentioned it'd be nice to play it for SCSU in a few weeks as they haven't seen it!) but last year it didn't seem to intimidate UAA or Mankato ....... it'd be nice if they'd edit the new one and put in, for example, BB's goal from this year (Niagara series or maybe it was Manitoba exhibition game, shooting at the zamboni end - what a blistering shot) that should intimidate ...... maybe they're just waiting for some of the home games to get some game footage from this year.

During last years Maine/UND game there was a ceremony (for Coach Walsh), does anyone know if there will ceremony of some type performed this year? Was Eric Eno in charge of that? (not for Coach Walsh, but just like a general blessing)

RK - I still have the ice in the cooler - next time you're up remind me to give it to you - hopefully you won't have to use it to bless/annoint the new REA

I still have the ice in the cooler - next time you're up remind me to give it to you - hopefully you won't have to use it to bless/annoint the new REA

Already been done. Why do you think the Sioux haven't lost at home this season? :0:D

I still have my old Engelstad ice. An anonymous Sioux fan who just happens to moderate this board donated his to the cause. But I can assure you that if needed, my ice is prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice for the team. :D

kr - hang on to the ice. I'm not convinced that this anonymous Sioux fan or PCM's ice has the karma. There is a chance both of their containers were handled improperly. My question is.....did Denny Gunderson assist in the application of said ice? If not, it might not have the desired long term effect. :D

I'm not convinced that this anonymous Sioux fan or PCM's ice has the karma. There is a chance both of their containers were handled improperly.

Are you still mad about my beagle peeing on the old Engelstad ice? She thought she was helping! :0:D

My question is.....did Denny Gunderson assist in the application of said ice?

According to my source, there was very little science involved in the application of the lucky ice. :0