SiouxSports.com Forum

New Otto Fad Article

Northern Iowa

From The Sports Network:

Otto Fad, Contributing I-AA College Football writer

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) -- As one whose favorite interrogative phrase is "why?" The Czar seldom accepts the company line or blindly embraces Standard Operating Procedure. That is one reason for my unbridled optimism regarding the future of I-AA football.

I refuse to allow the lazy, the uninformed, or the agenda-wielding nay sayers to denigrate (directly or otherwise) the NCAA's premier championship football classification (thanks to Lehigh coach Pete Lembo for that phrase).

But I'm also impatient, and growing more so. Especially with the negative tactics too often employed by those who would fancy themselves as something better than or beyond our true championship competition. I'm also growing weary of laziness or inattentiveness by those who should be supporting I-AA football with their every word.

I hope you feel the same way, and that you will hop on board the Accountability Express. If not, this is your exit... please watch your step on the way out.

Unless you are a simple organism with no internal control over your own behavior, you can play a role in accelerating the progress of I-AA football.

I've made a living out of modifying the behavior of large, dangerous organisms that cannot speak, so trust me that even the most set-in-their-ways individuals can learn to change their environments for their own good.

The battleground here is the field of public perception. If you are still reading this, you are probably familiar with I-AA football. To me, that makes you enlightened, if not part of the mainstream majority, at least for now.

Perceptions don't necessarily mesh with reality, a point that is abundantly obvious to knowledgeable I-AA football fans. The public perception is that I-A football is a superior level of play. However, in reality it would be more accurate to say that the BCS is a superior level of play - that the biggest difference in Division I football is between the 63 schools in the BCS and the 178 who aren't.

If you don't believe that, you haven't been paying attention for the last ten weeks or so. Check the exaggerated attendance figures. Read I-AA TODAY any day and look at the hoops some of the 'tweeners are jumping through to try to make their game appear better, more BCS-like.

In reality, only a few of them are close to BCS-quality and BCS-scale in their programs, and a few others have the potential to get there. Eighty percent of them belong in I-AA, at least until they can develop the requisite support and infrastructure to play with the big boys.

However the faulty perception that the "I-A" tag is meaningful is driven by lazy media people and the 54 institutions who are I-A but not in the BCS. And far too often, their cause is inadvertently aided by I-AA fans and representatives.

The BCS wannabe's accomplish their mission through artful, evasive scheduling and manipulation of terminology that is subtly demeaning to I-AA, thereby elevating their own programs. Yes, it is subtle, and seems innocuous enough at a glance.

But repeated thousands and thousands of times, the influence is no longer innocuous. Proper usage is important if we are to grasp the concept of I-AA football as the NCAA intended when it created I-AA 25 years ago.

I'll not launch into a detailed explanation of NCAA nomenclature here. For that, go to http://www.i-aa.com/NCAA-lexicon.pdf.

That document has been distributed to media in many markets already this year, thanks to the generosity and diligence of sports information professionals in I-AA conferences and institutions. Tony Moss and I both write several letters each week to offer corrections and help to sports media people who make improper use of the terminology, thereby unwittingly or otherwise demeaning I-AA student-athletes.

But The Czarina caught me on a violation when I recently launched into a terminological tirade. She asked me, "Why do you say that a school wants to move UP from I-AA to I-A?'

I thought for a second and realized she was right (beauty, brains, and a I-AA booster to boot!). Look at the track record of the schools that have made the move. How many are better off? So let's strike that one, too from our verbal repertoire.

In general, please remember a few basics...

I-AA schools are Division I schools that have chosen to exercise some degree of fiscal restraint when it comes to intercollegiate football. The NCAA created I-AA for this reason, and it's not fair to penalize schools who choose to be accountable for their own football fate and do not pretend to be something they're not.

I-AA schools respect you by not trying to dupe you into thinking they are competing with the BCS schools and their $50 million sports budgets. I-AA football to BCS football is like Triple-A baseball is to Major League Baseball. Both are successful. Both are highly competitive and entertaining. But there is no confusion as to which has the elite athletes and extra bells and whistles. The outliers in Division I are the 'tweeners, the non-BCS I-A schools.

I-AA schools are the ones currently preparing to begin their 25th winner-take-all, "lose one and you're done" four-week football frenzy, to crown a true national champion. No bogus bowls with shell-game finances.

Of all people, you would think that reporters would be aware of the effects of language on perceptions. Maybe they are and they just don't care. Or perhaps they fear thinking about more than 63 teams, let alone 117, and God forbid, 240 or more. So anything - fair, logical, defensible, or not - to reduce their area of responsibility, the sphere of what they should be knowledgeable about, anything to make it easier to function as a professional in their chosen field is okay.

Tony and I want you I-AA enthusiasts to help us to help the misled masses find their way to the truth. It will take some diligence on the part of all of us, but it is very rewarding to make a difference, even on a small scale. And together, we're not such a small scale!

Correct people when they butcher the nomenclature of Division I.

I don't care whether it's your father, your coach, your AD, your beat writer, your radio host... don't let them make false statements, (e.g., a kid signing with a I-AA school who was also recruited by "Division I' schools, or a "Division I transfer," etc.) even if you "know what they mean." Try to do it in a positive way, balancing your awareness that no one wants to mis-speak, with the compassion and empathy that no one wants to be corrected in an embarrassing manner.

Try that first. If the person you're trying to help gets defensive, don't feel compelled to be gentle in subsequent discussion. Sometimes (too often actually) you will encounter folks who cannot handle any criticism.

And if you slip verbally, accept criticism from your friends with grace - remember they're only trying to help you and I-AA football.

In any case, feel free to direct them to the online document at http://www.i-aa.com/NCAA-lexicon.pdf or print it out and give them a copy. If they really need help, please direct them to contact me to answer questions at Czar@I-AA.com or by clicking on the link at the bottom of this article. Tony would be happy to help as well.

And no matter your specific allegiance, if you're a I-AA enthusiast, root for I-AA's. Support your school, but not at the expense of others by insulting your conference foes or lower-funded programs. The non-BCS I-A'ers will do that anyway, subtly and otherwise.

Us? We gotta stick together and build-up and enjoy I-AA football.

For example...

"We saw the difference between Division I and Division I-AA tonight."

Those were the words of a I-AA coach last Saturday night after his team was beaten 56-6 by I-A team. Never mind that the I-AA team was about 20 scholarships short of the I-AA maximum, which is 22 short of the I-A limit. And never mind that I-AA is in Division I.

The college football media in the host city rode that room service theme as long and as hard as they could.

Beneath a headline reading "Bulls Toy With I-AA Opponent," one local fish-wrap started their account, "While President Bush stumped for votes for brother Jeb on South Florida's campus Saturday night, the Bulls made their own case across town: No more Division I-AA opponents, please!

The rival rag led with "It was clear from Saturday night's first play ... the Bucs were out of their league."

"As in Division I-AA vs. I-A."

"As in the days of the Bulls playing I-AA opponents are all but behind them."

That gave their triumphant head coach the chance to crow, "We won't have more than one I-AA opponent on our schedule from now on. One at the most."

The writer then took the names of Elon, Valparaiso, and Charleston Southern in vain.

One of the I-A school's players said, "We'd like eliminate all the I-AA teams from the schedule. We want to play the I-A teams. We want to play the best."

A wide receiver told one reporter, "...it's hard to be motivated for a I-AA team."

The Associated Press reported "South Florida has beaten 11 Division I-AA opponents in a row, all at Raymond James Stadium..."

After the pot shots by the press, I peered into the wake of the debacle a little closer and found some interesting tidbits that the mainstream mouths didn't report.

USF is in their sixth season of intercollegiate football and by almost all accounts has a very successful thing going.

Their all-time I-AA playoff record is 0-0. Yep, on the way to the big-time, they did not qualify once for the I-AA post-season.

Their all-time record against ranked I-AA opponents is 4-5. That's funny... that's the same record for all non-BCS I-A teams this year against ranked I-AA opponents. You would think that the I-AA's would have fared worse, with the fewer scholarships and all...

Neither of USF's I-AA foes this year meet NCAA criteria for bowl victory credit. In other words, if USF wins 7 games this year, they would have a maximum of five wins towards the six needed for bowl qualification. Neither winless Florida Atlantic nor Charleston Southern has enough football scholarships for wins against them to count for their I-A foes.

FAU came to Tampa for the opener, with Howard Schnellenberger's Owls playing in the 11th game in school football history. Last week, CSU came in with an injury depleted 45-scholarship contingent. CSU's Sagarin rating after the game was 214 (97/123 for I-AA). Winless FAU was 14 spots higher.

A USF official told me that Charleston Southern was a last-minute replacement for Utah, which owed the Bulls a home game. USF was not eager to play CSU, but needed an 11th game. It's a shame that didn't come out in the official reports, which were limited to "look how far the mighty Bulls have come from their I-AA days," or some such.

I asked whether USF would consider playing a competitive I-AA, especially an instate one like Florida A&M. I was told that FAMU had been discussed internally.

While the University of Miami and the University of Florida are willing to schedule FAMU, I'm not holding my breath waiting for non-BCS I-A's in the Sunshine State to ink the Rattlers or the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats.

Speaking of FAMU, the Rattlers have a play date with Troy State this weekend. The game will be played in Mobile, Ala.

Troy State head coach Larry Blakeney has a unique perspective on playing I-AA teams.

"Florida A&M University is not a I-AA program. They are junior college recruiters in California. They recruit from Miami, readily. They recruit from Louisiana and the state of Florida. There aren't many teams in the state of Florida that are established like FAMU that don't have great players."

"It's not a game that if I would have had my choices... It was a case where we needed a game and we had to do it. They are great people, and we have had great relationships with the FAMU people."

If the Rattlers are so swell, and travel so well (they'll undoubtedly be better represented in Mobile than the home-state Trojans), why don't non-BCS I-A's want to play them?

Could it be that they do not wish to see the bubble of public perception burst?

Who are the other I-AA's on Troy's 2002 schedule?

Let's see... Southern Utah (1-8 independent), Austin Peay (6-4 nonscholarship team from Pioneer League with two wins against I-AA foes), and Florida Atlantic (0-8 independent).

TSU is sometimes referred to as a "former I-AA power."

They were pretty good, I guess... but it depends on your definition of "power."

The Trojans were 5-7 all-time in the I-AA playoffs, making it to the semifinals in 1993 when they lost to Marshall and in 1996 when they lost to Montana, 70-7. They never made it to the I-AA national championship game. Is that a "former I-AA power?"

To give TSU their due, they were a pretty darn good NAIA and Division II team, winning national titles in both.

In Summary...

So, we've got non-BCS I-A schools that are eager to schedule I-AA teams they know they can beat (because they nearly double them in scholarships). However, even though there's no possible bowl victory credit involved, the story line that's crafted centers on how obviously superior the former I-AA team is (and by extension, how inferior I-AA football is to their new level).

Yet they're not so eager to play ranked I-AA foes, the ones who are fully funded. The I-A'ers may only out-scholarship their I-AA foe by a mere 22 grants. Apparently, that's unacceptably close.

When they're forced into playing ranked I-AA's, you get remarks like Blakeney's. Oh, FAMU is not really a I-AA, they're too good.

Think about that.

Go on, think about it.

Think some more.

Now realize that despite FAMU's No. 23 ranking, they are having a relatively down year, due in large part to critical injuries. Imagine if Troy had to play Bethune-Cookman! At 9-0, the TSU head coach would be complaining that they were really a pro franchise and that the Trojans should be getting points.

Why don't non-BCS I-A'ers want to play fully funded I-AA's?

One, they are likely to lose. Remember, they're 4-5 this year against ranked I-AA's.

Two, folks might contemplate just how wonderful this non-BCS I-A thing is. Boosters and presidents and taxpayers may wonder where their extra money is going and why. What's the extra million dollars it costs them every year doing for their school, besides gaining them a bogus boost in status (but only in the eyes of the uninformed)?

Three, the public perception that "I-A" means something is shattered.

Sunshine State shadows...

Florida Atlantic popped up on both the TSU and USF schedules this year. Both the second-year Owls and first-year Florida International Golden Panthers aspire to big-time college football and want to get there in short order... and both cite USF as a model to follow.

Stay tuned...

Playoff derby...

In my opinion, there is an excellent chance that four teams will be selected from either the Atlantic 10 or Southern Conference for this year's playoff field. Of course, there are still a myriad of possible permutations in the regular season's final three weeks, but from here it looks like the two leagues combined could send seven or even eight teams to the field.

It's a whacky year, with single representatives likely from at least three leagues, and perhaps as many as six.

That goes against what others are saying, but since there is no proscription against having four teams from one league included, and the fact that the committee has not bowed to political pressure in recent years, I see no reason to anticipate that a deserving fourth team from either league would be left out because of some unspoken policy.

The criteria are pretty clear and remember that The Czar has correctly projected the entire field - 16 of 16 - for three straight years. That success is based on evenly applying the criteria and knowing that the committee will do the same.

The committee has never faced a season like this before, with so many schedule variables, but I'm confident that they'll stick to their principles. Nowhere is it written that a league can't send four teams to the field. However, it is written that more credit may be given to schools playing all Division I opponents.

Shining examples...

In case you missed it earlier in the week, the first I-AA Bold Beacon Award will be presented next month to Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton and former Southland Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey.

The award acknowledges leadership on behalf of I-AA football, and is also intended to inspire others to act in a similar bold and responsible fashion.

"We are very pleased to present Greg and Doug with the Bold Beacon award," said Tony Moss, Executive Director/I-AA Football for The Sports Network. Their efforts on behalf of I-AA and for college football in general have gone largely unseen to the casual observer, but the work Greg and Doug have put in behind the scenes has altered the I-AA landscape in positive ways that likely won't be fully appreciated for years to come."

The TSN/CFAA I-AA Bold Beacon award will be presented on Dec. 19th at the 16th Annual Sports Network I-AA College Football Awards at the Holiday Inn Chattanooga Choo-Choo. That evening, TSN will also present the Walter Payton Award to the top player in I-AA football, and the Buck Buchanan Award to I-AA's top defender. The subdivision's coach of the year will be presented as winner of the 2002 Eddie Robinson Award, and the Sports Network Cup, bestowed upon the nation's best I-AA mid-major program will also be presented.

For more information, see the complete article online at The Sports Network.

Say what?

Motor City Madman... Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany on the Big Ten signing-on to the Motor City Bowl, and that game's move from Pontiac to Detroit this year. "Sometimes it's better to come to Detroit instead of Florida or Texas, where the fit is not there. It'll be a lot easier traveling to Detroit for our fans than having to go to Florida."

Three's Company... Mike Sewak, Georgia Southern head coach on the possibility of four SoCon teams being invited to the I-AA playoffs: "In recent history, we've only had three teams. I don't know about four. This conference has some really good teams and a number of them could be national contenders.

Parity party... Donnie Kirkpatrick, Chattanooga head coach on the "New SoCon": "Without a doubt, over the last four or five years, this has been the best I-AA league in the nation. We have two or three of the top teams in the nation. But what I've seen in the last few years is the middle of the pack has caught up with the top three teams."

Man-to-man, oh man! Just before calling the pass play that led to a game-winning touchdown catch by Bethune-Cookman's All-American free safety Rashean Mathis, head coach Alvin Wyatt laid the trap. "We sent him out as a decoy on the first play, and when we found out the DB was going to play him man-to-man, we made the decision quick," Wyatt said. "He has that knack for the football. He knows how to attack the ball and bring it in. It was just like an interception for him.

Go-to guy... With B-CC quarterback Allen Suber sidelined in the first quarter, the Wildcats needed a big play late to remain undefeated last week. On his late-game offensive heroics, Rashean Mathis: "They say big players make big plays in big-time games, and this was a big game and a big play for us. I was asking coach to put me in. He was like, I believe in you.' "

Getting out the votes...

Once again, here is The Czar's personal ballot for this week's Sports Network Top 25 poll, with my previous vote and the previous TSN rank included.

1. (TSN-1) Montana 9-0 (previous: 1, TSN-1) Sacramento State. Montana just marches on, closer to another Big Sky title and a third straight trip to the I-AA Championship game. Last week, the Griz' dispatched NAU, 38-24. Saturday, when Sac State visits Washington-Grizzly Stadium, head coach John Volek will be sitting in the visiting AD's box, serving a one-game suspension for criticizing officials in the wake of the Hornets' bizarre last-second loss to Montana State. Sac has been in almost every game and is better than their 3-6 mark.

2. (TSN-2) McNeese State 7-1 (previous: 2, TSN-2) Southwest Texas. Well, well, well... Looks like SFA headman Mike Santiago wasn't just building up the opponent last week to motivate his charges. His Lumberjacks fell to the visiting McCowboys, 42-13. "I wasn't BS-ing you earlier this week when I said McNeese should be ranked No. 1,'' said Santiago. "I don't mean to put pressure on Tommy (Tate) and them. But I hope they go on and win a national championship. That would be good not only for McNeese, but for the conference.'' Between now and then, there's a whole buncha football to be played, starting with the beleaguered Bobcats of SWT, who visit Lake Charles Saturday.

3. (TSN-3) Northwestern State 8-1 (previous: 3, TSN-3) at Jacksonville State. The "other" Southland stalwart dismissed Sam Houston 38-10 last week. This week the Demons bring the opposition for JSU's last SLC league game. Gamecock head man Jack Crowe compared NSU to McNeese in a similar glowing manner to Santiago's comparison of McNeese and Montana. "They're a great football team," Crowe said. "I've said they and McNeese are just about identical to each other. Actually, I think right now Northwestern is better because they've got the best quarterback in the league. I don't think he's a superstar, but on his football team, what he does, he is (most effective)." "He" is Kevin Magee, ranked fourth nationally in passing efficiency (157.38).

4. (TSN-9) Georgia Southern 7-2 (previous: 4, TSN-9) at Furman. FU-GSU is always a battle, but FU has an advantage with the extra week to prepare and home field advantage. Still, don't expect the Paladins to run rampant over the GSU defense, especially now that Freddy Pesqueira is back. Last week's victims were impressed. "We thought Georgia Southern's defense was the best we'd seen since North Carolina State (in the opener)," said ETSU coach Paul Hamilton. "Our kids came off the field and thought Georgia Southern was very physical and their secondary was really good."

5. (TSN-10) Bethune-Cookman 9-0 (previous: 6, TSN-10) at Hampton. They've won two tough ones on the road in the past three weeks, and here comes another challenge. The Wildcats remained undefeated last week despite the loss of "franchise" quarterback Allen Suber. B-CC turned to their other superstar, FS Rashean Mathis, in a rare offensive appearance. Mathis caught the game-winner with about a minute left, then sealed the win with his 11th interception of the year. Suber didn't practice, but is expected to start.

6. (TSN-6) Eastern Illinois 6-2 (previous: 5, TSN-6) at Tennessee-Martin. I dropped the Panthers a spot following a most unimpressive win over Tennessee State. EIU has no chance of stopping a good offense. EIU fans, don't be making those Chattanooga reservations just yet... or at least make sure you can get your deposit back. Fortunately for the Panthers, they're not facing one this week. In a surprising move last week, UTM fired head coach Sam McCorkle, although two of his brothers remain on-staff.

7. (TSN-4) Furman 6-2 (previous: 8, TSN-4) Idle. The Paladins used a bye week to prepare for Georgia Southern. That's great, but don't forget that FU has to travel to conference co-leader Wofford next week. However, this one is becoming one of I-AA's biggest rivalries. "At the first of the year," said first-year head coach Bobby Lamb, "Everybody drew a circle around this date on their calendar because it's Furman-Georgia Southern." GSU's skipper, Mike Sewak, didn't have to hard sell this match-up. "It'll be a good football game, I guarantee it," said Sewak.

8. (TSN-13) Portland State 6-3 (previous: 8, TSN-15) at Weber State. The Viks bounced back in fine fashion to claim a thriller over Idaho State, just one week after the heart-wrenching defeat to No. 1 Montana. "There was some good senior leadership and leadership from our coaches by making a real point early in the week that we couldn't feel sorry for ourselves," quarterback Juston Wood said. "We needed to have courage to stand up as men and bounce back. And that's what we did..." Now the Viks must guard against a let-down in their final pair, at Weber and at Montana State.

9. (TSN-8) Western Illinois 8-1 (previous: 9, TSN-8) at Northern Iowa. Is it just me, or is Don Patterson the Energizer Bunny of I-AA? He just keeps going and going and going, and how in the world does he keep putting together teams? "Rebuilding season" is not in the Leatherneck vocabulary. But if WIU wins at UNI, we'll have to ask, "Can you say 'Gateway Champs'?" And much to their chagrin, the Leathernecks' first-round foes, will be asking for directions to Macomb.

10. (TSN-5) Maine 8-1 (previous: 10, TSN-5) Delaware. In the idle week, the Black Bears were able to gird up for the stretch drive, while the mercury plummets in Orono. Jack Cosgrove's club has a shot at at least one home playoff game if the Bears finish strong. Woe unto the southern contingent who ventures onto the playoff ice in Maine!

11. (TSN-11) Villanova 7-2 (previous: 11, TSN-11) at Northeastern. Yo Pauly, the new cry in Philly is "Talley-ho!" Andy Talley's Wildcats postponed their annual late-season swoon for at least one more week with an impressive 41-20 stomping of Bill and Mary. Next it's onto Beantown where winning against the homestanding Huskies will be a real Parsons' project. Imagine playing football in the middle of a street flanked by row houses and you've got an idea of the intimacy and charm of Parsons Field. To be fair, you should imagine that the street was painted green with white stripes every fifteen feet.

12. (TSN-7) Grambling State 8-1 (previous: 13, TSN-7) Alabama State. Enough already. Give Grambling the trophy and spare us all the suspense of the next five weeks. Oooooooh... I wonder who will win the SWAC? The quarterback with two first names, Bruce Eugene, keeps our interest as he throws a few more touchdown passes. Dude could end up with 40 or more at his current pace.

13. (TSN-12) Massachusetts 7-2 (previous: 14, TSN-13) at New Hampshire. Some see this as an ambush for the Amherstians, but I don't think so. Still, Coach Whipple's team is young and after a hard-fought win over nemesis Delaware, there could be a tendency to letdown in another A-10 football "showplace," UNH's "historic" Cowell Stadium. With Jeff Krohn having suffered two apparent concussions in two weeks, the Minutemen are expected to go with backup quarterback Tim Day, younger brother of UNH's great signal caller Ryan Day.

14. (TSN-16) Lehigh 7-2 (previous: 15, TSN-16) Colgate. Good thing Pete Lembo is young... I don't think a guy with an older model ticker could stand up to the coronary specials that the Engineering Mountain Hawks seem to find themselves in, week after week. Some see LU as underachievers because of the hype heaped on them in preseason by some idiot (okay, it was me!). Others see a masterful coaching effort, making wise use of spit and duct tape in the face of a horrendous skein of injuries.

15. (TSN-15) Wofford 7-2 (previous: 18, TSN-18) at East Tennessee State. Speaking of great performances by a guy with a whistle who answers to the name "Coach," you gotta love the Terriers and what they've done behind Fisher DeBerry disciple Mike Ayers. They are dead last in the country in passing, but they're also in the catbird seat in the SoCon race. They have averaged 442.7 yards per game rushing the last three games. This week, Ayers goes for career win No. 100. "As a coach, I've been awfully lucky to have some good players and some good coaches along the way," said Ayers. Then he addressed his team's playoff prospects. "We don't have the luxury of time to worry about what's further ahead. We have to live in the moment. We spend every waking minute getting ready for the next one. "I'm not real smart. I can only focus on one thing at a time. ... It would be like trout fishing and thinking about football. I wouldn't catch any trout." Spoken like a real Fisher.

16. (TSN-18) Northeastern 7-2 (previous: 20, TSN-20) Villanova. Northeastern's Miro Kesic booted an Atlantic 10 record 57-yard field goal with four seconds left to give NU a 24-21 win at Richmond last week. This week, it's a game between two teams coming in at 4-2 in league, 7-2 overall. Go with the visiting 'Cats.

17. (TSN-14) Appalachian State 6-3 (previous: 16, TSN-14) VMI. Jerry Moore's Mountaineers could be one of those teams that squeaks into the playoffs, only to wreak havoc on higher-ranked teams. But let's not take anything for granted. After all, ASU barely nipped winless Chattanooga, 20-17 last week. This week, Boone is the latest stop on VMI's farewell tour of the SoCon. "They are," said Moore, "If not the most, then certainly one of the most improved teams in our league. During the course of the year, they've gotten better every week. (QB) Joey Gibson's a great competitor. We saw him in Florida when he was in high school. He was calling around looking for a scholarship. I wish we had him now."

18. (TSN-21) Pennsylvania 6-1 (previous: 19, TSN-24) at Princeton. Penn-Princeton is always huge, and never more than this 2002 meeting. In their first four league games, Al Bagnoli's Quakers have ruptured the Richter scale on Ancient Eight seismographs, outscoring foes 165-51.

19. (TSN-20) William & Mary 5-3 (previous: 12, TSN-12) Rhode Island. When I think of the Tribe this week, the song that pops into my head (make it stop... make it stop!) is a 1970's classic by one of the guys in the TV show "Starsky and Hutch." I can't remember which guy it was, but his one hit was "Don't give up on us, baby." Just seems appropriate for the preseason A-10 champs with one of I-AA's top pitch-and-catch combos (Corley to Musinski). BTW, they're still undefeated at home this year.

20. (TSN-19) Western Kentucky 7-3 (previous: 21, TSN -22) Idle. At home, Harbaugh's Hilltoppers shut out Illinois State, 9-0. Unless UNI knocks-off Western Illinois and gives the Leathernecks a chance to win the league outright, this week could be a preview of WKU's first-round of the playoffs. Think about it...

21. (TSN-23) Idaho State 5-3 (previous: 25, TSN-19) Northern Arizona. Tough loss at Portland State last week for the battlin' Bengals. But even winning-out will not be enough unless some very weird things happen in all four regions. 8-3 with a D-II win gets you front row playoff seats.

22. (TSN-22) Nicholls State 6-3 (previous: NR, TSN-23) at Sam Houston State. Similarities to ISU are eerie. Great coaching job, taking unheralded bunch to the brink of the playoffs, only to be done-in by that D-II game. Both NSU and ISU have eleven game slates with one D-II. If they had 12 games with one D-II or 11 games with no D-II's, they'd have had a better shot.

23. (TSN-24) Florida A&M 7-3 (previous: NR, TSN-NR) vs. Troy State. Casey Printers is back and so are the Rattlers' playoff hopes. But it won't be easy. First, there's this neutral site game in Mobile versus former Division II power Troy State. If underdog FAMU triumphs in this one, all they have to do is knock-off undefeated Bethune-Cookman in the finale.

24. (TSN-NR) Stephen F. Austin 5-4 (previous: 17, TSN-29) Idle. Time to rest the bones after the Lumberjacks took one on the chin before the home folks, courtesy of McNeese State. SFA remains a dangerous team and could still have something to say about who goes to our Sweet 16.

25. (TSN-31) Youngstown State 5-4 (previous: NR, TSN-39) at Illinois State. The Penguins are playing for pride in their 2002 GFC finale and last road game of the season.

OTHERS:

NR. (TSN-17) Eastern Kentucky 7-3 (previous: 24, TSN-17) Southeast Missouri. I dropped 'em two slots after EKU nearly fanned against the Flames of mighty Liberty, 35-28. At a time when the Colonels need to win impressively, that just won't do. Congrats to living legendary coach Roy Kidd, who moves up another notch on the all-time wins list.

NR. (TSN-25) Gardner-Webb 7-1 (previous: NR, TSN-NR) at Charleston Southern. G-W is having a terrific year and a 9-1 finish is certainly something to build on and recruit off of.

ON THE RADAR...

In alphabetical order: Colgate (6-3), Delaware (5-5), Duquesne (9-0), Fordham (6-2), Harvard (5-2), Northern Arizona (5-4), Princeton (5-2), South Carolina State (6-3), Towson (6-3).

Trophy case...

We're getting' down to it now. Not only are the playoffs creeping up, but the end of the regular season means decision time for us lucky voters for the national awards and All-American teams. In the spirit of stimulating discussion and sharing my perspective, I'm offering my own preliminary ballots for I-AA's top honors. Specifically, these are the Walter Payton, Buck Buchanan, and Eddie Robinson Awards, all presented by The Sports Network.

This is a preliminary look, and I'll revise as warranted over the next three weeks.

WALTER PAYTON AWARD - if I voted today: Wow... there are so many worthy candidates this year, but no one that has really dominated and gotten out in front of the pack. I couldn't cut-down past my top six, and even that was difficult. Brett Gordon, Villanova's diminutive QB, was on the cusp, and Chaz Gessner was dropped only because of the poor performance of his team (Brown is 0-7).

1) John Edwards, QB Montana. You could tell he was something special when he relieved Drew Miller in the 1999 National Championship game. Kid just wins. Edwards is 25-1 as a starter.

2) Ryan Fuqua, RB, Portland State. One of the few running backs in the mix this year, also a threat out of the backfield as a receiver.

3) Bruce Eugene, QB Grambling. Based on his outrageous TD pass/interception ratio of 31/8, plus the fact that his team is 8-1.

4) Tony Romo, QB, Eastern Illinois. Big league arm, with definite pro potential; looking for a chance to go deeper in the playoffs.

5T) Carl Morris, WR, Harvard. Having high-impact season for Crimson.

5T) Allen Suber, QB, Bethune-Cookman. Like Edwards, a winner. Like teammate Mathis, a one-man game-turner.

BUCK BUCHANAN AWARD - if I voted today: Yikes... Again, I couldn't make that last cut, and offer you my top six leading contenders.

1) Rashean Mathis, S, Bethune-Cookman (Sr., 6-2, 185). Forget about throwing deep on B-CC. Mathis patrols the downfield area with incredible range and speed and affects opposing offenses more than any other individual player in I-AA football.

2) Greg Pitts, LB, Southwest Texas (Sr., 6-4, 230). Greg Pitts has the NFL scouts drooling and looks like a high draft pick.

3) Stephen Cooper, LB, Maine (Sr., 6-1, 220). Cooper does it all - 7.5 sacks and 3 picks to go with 80 tackles from his linebacker spot.

4) Trey Young, S, Montana (Sr., 6-0, 195). Opposing QB's want to know where he is at all times.

5T) Hadley Prince, S, McNeese State (Sr., 5-9, 196). Smart and pound-for-pound perhaps the toughest defender in I-AA.

5T) Mark Kasmer, S, Dayton (Sr., 6-1, 193). Continues to wrack up impressive numbers in the Flyer secondary.

EDDIE ROBINSON AWARD - if I voted today: First, it's just way too early to speculate on this one, because of the number of important games remaining down the stretch. But here are the guys I'm considering right now, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER: Joe Glenn (Montana), Darryl Daye (Nicholls State), Scott Stoker (Northwestern State), Alvin Wyatt (Bethune-Cookman), Mark Whipple (UMass), Don Brown (Northeastern), Jack Cosgrove (Maine), Pete Lembo (Lehigh), Doug Williams (Grambling), Mike Ayers (Wofford), Don Patterson (Western Illinois), Larry Lewis (Idaho State), Cal McCombs (VMI) and Tim Walsh (Portland State).

Attendance Ascendance

Okay, I'll spare you the prose this week. Here are your no-frills comparisons of attendance figures for select Division I (I-A and I-AA) football games of last weekend.

I attended the (I-AA) Charleston Southern at (I-A) USF game in Tampa, where the attendance was announced at 23,144. If the Raymond James turnstiles clicked more than 15,000 times, I'll wear the Billy the Bull costume and walk the plank at RJS.

I-A Independents...

Florida Atlantic at Connecticut: 14,287

ACC...

-Clemson at Duke: 16,479 (A BCS league game, for crissakes!)

Big East...

-West Virginia at Temple: 15, 042... or, as reported by the Associated Press, "The game was played in front of 15,042 people at Veterans Stadium, the regular home of the NFL's Eagles that holds 65,000. That strange situation was one that worried West Virginia Coach Rich Rodriguez..."

MAC...

-Western Michigan at Ball State: 12,892

-Central Michigan at Eastern Michigan: 7,370 (to see a new MAC rushing record)

-Bowling Green at Kent State: 7,165 (to see a Top 25 team, hyped nationally all week prior)

-Marshall at Akron: 13,762... or, as reported by the Huntington Herald-Dispatch, "... before an announced crowd of 13,762 at the Rubber Bowl." (to see a leading Heisman candidate and a nationally-ranked team?).

WAC...

-Nevada at SMU: 11,832 (in one of the country's most beautiful college stadiums)

-Rice at Tulsa: 12,587... or, as reported by the Houston Chronicle, "Although the paid attendance was 12,587, fewer than 1,000 fans decided to be miserable and brave the conditions. Or was it they couldn't stomach watching a woeful Tulsa team that last week snapped a 17-game losing streak?"

-Boise State at UTEP: 21,689... or, as reported by the El Paso Sun-Times, "An announced crowd of 21,689 watched..."

Sun Belt Conference...

-Idaho 28 UL Lafayette 31: 12,621

-Middle Tennessee at New Mexico State: 19,562

-Louisiana-Monroe at North Texas: 16,212... or, as reported by the Monroe News-Star, "Before an announced homecoming crowd of 16,212..."

-Southern Utah (I-AA) at Arkansas State: 9,107... or, as reported by the Jonesboro Sun, "A small crowd announced at 9,107 watched..."

Meanwhile, on the other side of that thin line...

Atlantic 10... Delaware at Massachusetts: 11,553

Big Sky... Northern Arizona at Montana: 19,276

Gateway... Southern Illinois at Youngstown State: 18,147

Ivy League... Brown at Pennsylvania: 14,287

MEAC... Hampton at Florida A&M: 29,065

Southern... East Tennessee State at Georgia Southern: 16,106

SWAC... Grambling at Texas Southern: 10,635

Be counted! Attend a college football game this weekend!

As a counterpoint to Otto Fad, I'll offer up this article from ESPN.com:

Friday, December 14

Small fish in the big pond fight for survival

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Wayne Drehs

ESPN.com

Four years ago, when Troy State athletics director Johnny Williams surveyed the landscape of his school's football program, he came to one simple conclusion: "We were in no-man's land.

I think the whole point of the ESPN article is that Troy St. would rather get their brains beaten in I-A than win 10 games a year in I-AA. What does that tell you?

You've got schools like Idaho playing home games in another school's stadium, Wyoming selling home games to the city of Nashville, and San Jose St. charging $5 to get into a carnival outside their stadium on game day and counting those people towards game attendance- all in a desparate attempt to meet the 'standards' and avoid being reclassified to I-AA.

I agree with Mr. Fad that a good percentage of the non BCS schools would be better off from a competitive standpoint playing in I-AA, but the reality is this: Those schools don't want to be in I-AA!!!

RD17 says: I think the whole point of the ESPN article is that Troy St. would rather get their brains beaten in I-A than win 10 games a year in I-AA. What does that tell you?

And that's good? Troy State was never a 1-AA power. Their motives are driven by cash, lots of it. Not the case at 99% of 1-AA schools. Remember, if you are (or were) in 1-AA for the money, you are (or were) whacked from the outset.

Good People of Siouxland,

Old NI said in a previous post that, should some institution believe that their football program can survive and thrive in another division, then more power to them. The notion that they "don't want to be be reclassified as 1-AA" and will resort to desperate attempts to be a non-BCS 1-A bottom feeder, blah-blah-blah, is not a reflection on 1-AA, but rather, a reflection of that institution's failed grasp at whatever brass ring they thought was out there. (Note: The previous sentence was very important. Please reread it now. You're welcome and thank you.) The overwhelming majority of 1-AA teams are happy with where they're at and do not hold delusions of grandeur as exhibited by some of our brothers who left.

Perhaps expatriate 1-AA schools didn't really belong in 1-AA anyway?

But, for heaven's sake, don't disparage the good name of 1-AA as you leave. Leave quietly and good luck to you. Most of you will need it. Plenty of it. When you come back, we might still have a place for you at the table. Even Troy State. They will be back. So will our Vandal friends.

So, what in the heck does all this really have to do with Division II football programs building a nest in the 1-AA tree? Actually, nothing, if you've been following closely. But, don't make the correlation between what amounts to a handful of teams (and their reasons for) leaving Division 1-AA and reasons not to move up to Division 1-AA. Large, large, large gulf between the concepts.

Have a super duper day!

NI

The vast majority of schools are doing well at at the D1AA football level. The Big Sky and Gateway arent complaining. Moving up to D1AA is not to be confused with moving from D1AA into D1. Both moves are made for many of the same reasons.

In addition, the move for NDSU means upgrading all sports programs. Thats a big bonus especially in basketball.

JB -- a lot of us UND fans give you a lot of grief (and often rightfully so) but I understand much of what you post is "tongue-in-cheek". I do agree that many of us are naysayers when it comes to most anything having to do with SU -- and I sense that you have the same attitude towards the Sioux and Grand Forks. However, I do think that you have a fairly good perspective on a lot of things.

That being said, do you really think that NDSU can compete in basketball. Today, SU and UND (although UND is normally pretty respectable) have difficulties recruiting talented kids to the cold, barren plains of North Dakota. Plus, there aren't a great number of good DII players in the Dakotas or NW Minnesota. (It is a given that any upcoming Jeff Boschees will continue to go to the upper level of DI.) That combined with the fact that many of the kids both SU and UND have brought in recently have not qualified for DI, would make if very difficult to compete. SU may be able to pick up a few kid from the Cities who currently go out to Montana State, Montana or Wyoming. But I don't see real talented kids who have the opportuntiy to go a few different places opting for SU.

Therefore, I can't see you winning against DI opponents. I truly believe that SU's terrible football season is somewhat of a fluke and you will be very competitive in IAA soon but building a winning basketball program when you are only average in DII will be very difficult.

Your thoughts?

DMB,

Thanks for the note of understanding, your are, for the most part, right on target. I do enjoy twisting your tail a bit. Ive noticed the same about many of you with regard to us 'SU fans.

No doubt NDSU will have some trouble getting the basketball game on track, but I think the key for NDSU basketball is the BSA (BISON Sports Arena). It has to go. With a new facility, probably 5 yrs in the future its going to be easier.

As you well know with Beasly it only takes 1 and a talented supporting cast. I think NDSU, with a good recruting effort can find that one or two outstanding players and provide them with a supporting cast that can keep the team competitive. I see no reason why we cant be competitive in any conference environment. By that I mean any conference that we might legitimately join.

UNO has had its fortunes turned with JC and D1 transfers. Beasly is a D1 transfer. NDSU has 2 JC transfers and with the returning seniors should be much improved. An NCC champmionship isnt out of the question, but in just a few weeks we will see if my optimism is well founded.

Athletes that currently dont give us a look because we are D2 will now be potential recruits. I think thats the biggest reason we will be successfull. I dont know much about Beasly or the UNC transfers, but it's very likely they all would be on a D1 BISON squad rather than the D2 alternative. I think thats another big key.

I agree a new arena would help but I am still not sure that a BB player capable of contributing at the DI level would agree to spend nine months a year in North Dakota's winter, far from his parents, etc. when he could go to another college with better climate and probably more exposure.

It should be noted that Beasley, UND's new sensation Myron Allen (you will hear a lot about him!), and most of the other good Junior College transfers that have gone to NDSU (not the two ND kids you have this year), UNO, UNC and other NCC schools have done so because the didn't qualify for DI. If you take away the ability to recruit the Beasleys, Mike McGehees, etc., it is all that more difficult to be competitive. (Forgive me if I wrong about McGehee but I don't think I am.)

JBB:

I'm pretty sure Beasley was a JUCO who didn't have the number of necessary credits completed to jump into DI.

That is correct, and I believe it's the same situation with Myron Allen, who, like Beasley, has the talent to have played at virtually any division I school in the country in my opinion. The ironic thing is, due in large part to this loophole, I'm confident that UND will probably have an easier time recruiting good players than will NDSU for the forseeable future. With the long period of post-season ineligibility discussed ad nauseum on this site, the poor facility, the lack of a track record for success in mens basketball, and the location of North Dakota, NDSU will have a very difficult time recruiting talent any better than what they've been getting, which hasn't been particularly good since Tom Billiter and his all-transfer teams of the mid-90's.

The other thing to remember is that the talent level of the NCC is as good or better than many, many low-to-mid-level dI's. That's why it's not unusual for a UNO, for example, to nearly defeat a very respectable mid-major team like Creighton. I would like the chances of UND or SDSU against more than half of all division I teams this year.

Let me add my two cents as a daily on line reader of the Fargo Forum.

What I recall from the Carr report that was reported in the Forum, they said the Bison Sports Center had very poor lighting and after seeing a few games there I would tend to agree. I dont think Carr recommended a new facility, but refurbishing the current structure. There are a number of things that could be done at BSA and a new building may not be necessary at this time. They will need to raise the money to do the refurbish job which could be done through the NDSU Foundation and Teamakers. I dont think they would need to get involved with the City of Fargo again. Also the Dome has been used for CBA basketball, and its possible to work something out from that angle for D1 Basketball.

I dont find Hyslop as a great place to watch basketball either. Those bleachers are good for the back specialists and the UND med school must get some practice patients who are also basketball fans. Its hard to believe that Hyslop and Allee Gym of Morningside fame were the two newests facilities in the NCC back in 1951.

I would think it would be easier for NDSU to fit into a CBA schedule than it would be for UND to fit in the hockey schedule at REA. Less set up costs I would think from Hockey/basketball as compared to Basketball/basketball at the Fargo Dome.

I dont find Hyslop as a great place to watch basketball either. Those bleachers are good for the back specialists and the UND med school must get some practice patients who are also basketball fans. Its hard to believe that Hyslop and Allee Gym of Morningside fame were the two newests facilities in the NCC back in 1951.

I would think it would be easier for NDSU to fit into a CBA schedule than it would be for UND to fit in the hockey schedule at REA.  Less set up costs I would think from Hockey/basketball as compared to Basketball/basketball at the Fargo Dome.

To the best of my knowledge, the plan at UND is to renovate the old Engelstad arena into a basketball facility. I'm not sure when this is supposed to take place, but Hyslop will likely not be used for basketball for too much longer, thankfully.

For what it's worth, there are a number of facilities that are utilized for both basketball and hockey (i.e. Wisconsin's new facility) so if necessary, it probably could be done.