SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey program!

Riverman

I know you were being sarcastic, but they averaged over 850 per game this year, and were at #4 in attendance in the nation.  Which is a little on the sad side, but a little more than 200 a game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is very sad. I think the game would be more popular if checking was allowed.

Attendance

Just think what might happen when the team becomes much more competative and is competing nationally. I seriously think this team will hold its own sooner than people think, financially and on the ice.

Edit: This is my 400th post  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't imagine any women's hockey team holding their own financially with the attendence figures listed.

It will be hard to knock the Gophers off again next year because Darwitz and Wendell will be seniors. But after they graduate I'd expect UND to challenge for a National Championship. Two exceptional players can make a huge difference. UND has two right now in the Wooster sisters. They will be juniors when Darwitz and Wendell are gone and that's when you might see the Sioux making a run for the title.

Hopefully the Lamoureax sisters will be headed to UND. As 9th graders at SSM they are the best players on the team and putting up huge numbers for the girls prep team. I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them accelerate and graduate from high school a year early. Then they would be coming into college when the Wooster sisters are seniors and I doubt any college team will have 4 players with the talent that these two sets of sisters have. If it happens, it will be fun to watch.

It's my understanding that Darwitz and Wendell - and Caroline Ouellette of UMD for that matter - are done after this year due to international committments. Next year is an Olympic year and all three players are expected to forgo their senior year to spend the year with their respective national teams.

Certainly would further level a slowly balancing playing field.

I think it's important to be aware of the women's team being in a building phase for a few more years and that it takes time to develop a winner.

That said, I am skeptical as to how significant a place women's hockey will ever have at UND and I will only point to the fact that this weekend, the place will likely not be sold out for a men's playoff game.

I haven't been to a women's game and I doubt I ever will be at one (until my nieces start playing for the Sioux in 15 years.)