SiouxSports.com Forum

LETS SEE JAKE BRANDT

AZSIOUX

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try not to get involved in goalie debates here because most fans don't really understand much about the position. I will admitt I am no expert, but since I began watching hockey I have always payed closer attention to goalies. I might be the only person that thinks a 0-0 game is the best kind in hockey because it means both goalies were perfect. That said, we have threee goalies.

Jordan is over-rated, average at best. His positioning last year was good and that helped him, he needs to get back to that and realize his puck-handling skills are not getting any better so he should stay in the net. Although, I would take a goalie who is average for every game over one who is hot sometimes and cold others because the consistency is often more valuable.

Lammy is above average, mabye not the second coming of Karl yet, but he will be a legend given time, he is a FRESHMAN!!! He has shown great leaps forward, but cannot be expected to carry this team on his back.

Jake is a proven goalie. Anyone who saw him play the at the excel and blames him for the loss has got to be joking, talk about major defensive breakdowns. The guy is awesome, the biggest compliment I can give him is that I would call him a friend. If someone is going to provide that "spark" or pull off a miracle it will be Jake. For whatever reason he hasn't played much this year, even before the injury, which was not a stupid mistake.

Another note:

These guys are human, they are in college, they occationally do things that I'm sure they wish they could take back. Who hasn't done something stupid when they were young? That is the great thing about being in college, it's a time when you can make mistakes and learn from them and grow as a person.

Oh yeah, the reason I started this rant in the first place...I think Jake should be given a chance, if healthy, because at this point we have nothing to lose. The way this team has under-performed, I don't think they are going to turn things around without some kind of change being made. If Jake wins, Hak is a genius (as said before) if he loses, well people can continue to blame Jake and the other goalies for our lack of offence. ???

Start Jake at home against Wisco.  If we win, Hak is the genius.  If we lose, most of us expected it anyway.  F**k it. 

FWIW, my glass has been "half empty" for a few months now.  What do we have to lose?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

100% agree. Besides if we had solid goaltending this year, don't you suppose we would have posted a shutout by now? Even Briggs has 3 against quality opponents for a Mn squad that was projected to be weak on defense. IMHO Brandt has been the only goalie that has been capable of a shutout since Karl left. Parise has 2 shutouts against Mich Tech and Holy Cross, but almost always lets in a soft goal or does something stupid to get out of position at the wrong time. Heck, Mark Ranfranz has 2 shutouts for crying out load. I think in time Lammy will be pretty good, but on Sat night he wouldn't have stopped a beachball in the 3rd period.

I try not to get involved in goalie debates here because most fans don't really understand much about the position.  I will admitt I am no expert, but since I began watching hockey I have always payed closer attention to goalies.  I might be the only person that thinks a 0-0 game is the best kind in hockey because it means both goalies were perfect.  That said, we have threee goalies. 

Jordan is over-rated, average at best.  His positioning last year was good and that helped him, he needs to get back to that and realize his puck-handling skills are not getting any better so he should stay in the net.  Although, I would take a goalie who is average for every game over one who is hot sometimes and cold others because the consistency is often more valuable.

Lammy is above average, mabye not the second coming of Karl yet, but he will be a legend given time, he is a FRESHMAN!!!  He has shown great leaps forward, but cannot be expected to carry this team on his back.

Jake is a proven goalie.  Anyone who saw him play the at the excel and blames him for the loss has got to be joking, talk about major defensive breakdowns.  The guy is awesome, the biggest compliment I can give him is that I would call him a friend.  If someone is going to provide that "spark" or pull off a miracle it will be Jake.  For whatever reason he hasn't played much this year, even before the injury, which was not a stupid mistake.

Another note:

These guys are human, they are in college, they occationally do things that I'm sure they wish they could take back.  Who hasn't done something stupid when they were young?  That is the great thing about being in college, it's a time when you can make mistakes and learn from them and grow as a person.

Oh yeah, the reason I started this rant in the first place...I think Jake should be given a chance, if healthy, because at this point we have nothing to lose.  The way this team has under-performed, I don't think they are going to turn things around without some kind of change being made.  If Jake wins, Hak is a genius (as said before) if he loses, well people can continue to blame Jake and the other goalies for our lack of offence. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great post. Finally someone that isn't afraid to speak the truth. As bad as this season has been, this forum has just made things worse. I have heard so many excuses that I don't know if people are watching the games or just preparing for what to say later. You also have the people here that believe saying negative things about the team means you are not a fan. ??? Do we really need to be winning to get along here? This is a place for discussion and it used to be really fun, even a few years ago when we were not doing well.

Clearly the problem with goaltending this year is that we don't have a coach that will insult the players while talking to the media. Last year's results can't be wrong...

Look at both of our keepers Goals Against Average. BOTH are outstanding and good enough to with 80% of their games given a typical Sioux offense. Granted neither was great aginst AA. Just one problem, this is not a typical Sioux offense. Until I see otherwise, this is a typical Hak offense. Hopefully Hak will fix this within a year.

The goaltending is not broke, don't fix it.

Jake is a proven goalie.  Anyone who saw him play the at the excel and blames him for the loss has got to be joking, talk about major defensive breakdowns.  The guy is awesome, the biggest compliment I can give him is that I would call him a friend.  If someone is going to provide that "spark" or pull off a miracle it will be Jake.  For whatever reason he hasn't played much this year, even before the injury, which was not a stupid mistake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agreed with your post, up until the point where you exposed yourself as a "Brandt homer".

I have posted very little on this forum but do enjoy reading it quite often. I just wanted to compliment a few of the posters...one for actually posting the "real" story of Jake's accident. Its not like the guy intended to get hurt and it bugs the pants off of me the way some of you get so accusatory when you don't have the first hand knowledge. It was a freak accident and it could have happened to anyone. There is life outside of hockey and up in northern MN that usually means outdoor activities. I don't think these guys should have to sit home and twiddle their thumbs just because there isn't a game going on. Second...to those that look beyond the pull tab incident with Jake...Thank you. Jake is a great person. And for the majority of the people that know him (truly know him)...I think you would agree. He made a mistake but ....I can't believe any one of you haven't made a stupid mistake in your life you wish you could take back, whether it be with the legal, moral or whatever aspect of life...life is about learning to become a better person and he is. So...with that said...could we please get on with talking about hockey instead of talking about whether someone is morally good or bad or intentionally hurts themselves????!!!!!

I don't question his playing ability, I just question his character. Especially for making such a stupid decision to snowmobile during the christmas break and wreck and break his collar bone. He probably won't see action even when his is healthy for that decision alone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure looks like you are blaming Jake for "making such a stupid decision." It is the coaches decision not to play Jake, it is NOT Jakes fault, NOT his playing ability, or NOT his attitude. He is one of the biggest supporters of this team. He is a great guy and a super goalie. I think he has been robbed this year.

sorry, as of now i am concentrating on this season, not the future. i think our future will be just fine with phil. i am talking about now and it would not hurt to give jake a shot this weekend. anything to get something rolling with this team. whoever is in the nets this weekend will have to have big time performance's to beat the badgers...oh yeah, we might have to score some goals as well.. ???

"Stick with Lamourex in net, he is the future."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>