SiouxSports.com Forum

REA needs a change?

Driveforshow

Part of, in fact most of, the reason for the poor ice is the insulation and basketball and other flooring laid over the ice for auxillary events in the Ralph. I've mentioned before in other threads that the Vancouver NHL team rediscovered what real good ice can be once the NBA team moved to Memphis. I knew when bb got their foot in the door with the Kansas game we were in trouble..

The problem with the Ralph is that it is all about money! They could care less about a charged up atmosphere, just don't upset the big money season ticket holders, most of whom sit up in their suites playing pocker or pinnacle. The Ralph is way too dead. Too much leather, wood, rubberized paint and accoustical tile on the back walls. Also too many people going because of the building, not the game.

I wish when they planned the arena that they had used the design of the Old Ralph and dropped 10,000 green and white plastic seats into that baby and let her rip! Put the students back where they belong, like in the Old Ralph, and hang on to your hats.

DG

And one other thing, speaking of green and white, it's about time that they bring back the green helmets and breezers for home games. The black stuff is ok on the road, but we haven't been the same hockey team since they went to black helmets and breezers. We do bleed Sioux green, not institutional black!

DG

And one other thing, speaking of green and white, it's about time that they bring back the green helmets and breezers for home games.  The black stuff is ok on the road, but we haven't been the same hockey team since they went to black helmets and breezers. We do bleed Sioux green, not institutional black!

DG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great point.

Sioux hockey is green and white, not black and white. I don't mind the current look, but it doesn't come close to the look you describe.

Didn't DB say a few years back that the players felt the black helmets/breezers brought them luck and made them feel more intimidating? Well, they haven't had much luck of late so perhaps it is time for a change.

I agree, the more green and white the better. Use black only as a thin line to help highlight and define edges. Let's go old school! Take the "SIOUX" lettering off the front, make the Indian-head logo bigger, go with horizontal stripes instead of the diagonal ones, go with string laced necks, and put the crossed 'hawks back on the shoulders (maybe one shoulder w/ the interlocked UND and the other w/ the crossed 'hawks)!

Hey, the home uni green helmets and breezers were worn during that natl championship game.  Don't mess with our silly superstitions!  Besides, I did mention that the black is ok for road games.

DG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I'm not mistaken, white jersey, green helmet and green breezers were worn in the '97 NC game, but white jersey, black helment and black breezers were worn in the '00 NC game.

I agree, the more green and white the better.  Use black only as a thin line to help highlight and define edges.  Let's go old school!  Take the "SIOUX" lettering off the front, make the Indian-head logo bigger, go with horizontal stripes instead of the diagonal ones, go with string laced necks, and put the crossed 'hawks back on the shoulders (maybe one shoulder w/ the interlocked UND and the other w/ the crossed 'hawks)!

This is basically what you are describing, and it's what I've been thinking of for quite some time. I like the 81-82 era jersey. Throw the new logo on there, maybe the laced neck. If there's a political issue with the crossed tomahawks put the ND on the shoulders instead or even leave them blank. Simple is better, IMO.

Jerseys

Counting purposes my butt!  Have you seen the "1:6 Wins Free Coke!" promo that's been out for a month or so now?  If I were behind the counter at a sports arena anywhere, I'd be drinking free pop for a year with the winners I collected.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just thought the Management at the Ralph figured out a new way to make more money. They just trade the winning cap in to coke for more product and they more then double their profit. ;)

I was wrong though. :0 I bought a pop at the last game and asked if the cap was a winner. It was, the concession lady gave it to me and told me to just keep it in my pocket. ???

The reason that the caps are taken off is because some people had the wise idea of going into the bathroom and filling the bottle up with water and then throwing it on to the ice which could really hurt someone. The REA always had that policy it was just never really enforced but now they want it enforced hardcore. (I work at Blue Line Burgers behind Section 311.)

Hmm, funny. Seems to me we won a national championship in 2000 while wearing said black unies for much of the stretch run.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right, black helmets and breezers were worn during the 2000 NC game - 1 out of 7 isn't too bad, I guess! :0

Point being, UND colors are green and white. Some black makes for a nice change, but shouldn't, in my opinion, be used as home colors.

I don't recall the football team strolling onto the field with black helmets. I don't recall the BB teams taking the court with black shorts . . .

It would be great to see a mix of helmets and breezers, but the team is forced to buy their things from the rea pro shop and they pay double the price.:0?

I personaly feel that when they bring in the new REA GM he needs to be a person that knows and feels what the fans want.This is not the big citie, so don't try to run it as a big time arena.When you piss off somebody in the big citie their are alot more people you can bring in to cover their loss.Here you start pissing the fans off you can only draw from a small area.It might be hard for to fill those peoples shoes.

Thats way I keep talking about bringing in a local person who the community knows and he bleeds green.And that person needs to be able to work with the new AD.

I heard from a friend that TAREK HOWARD has put his name in for the GM job.I have known tarek for several years and this is a person who brings a lot to the table.He played hockey here at UND, HE BLEEDS GREEN.He is a lawyer by trade and just look what he has done with the central hockey program. If in deed his has put his name in for the job I hope they look at him very hard.

GOOD LUCK TAREK

It would be great to see a mix of helmets and breezers, but the team is forced to buy their things from the rea pro shop and they pay double the price.:0?

I personaly feel that when they bring in the new REA GM he needs to be a person that knows and feels what the fans want.This is not the big citie, so don't try to run it as a big time arena.When you piss off somebody in the big citie their are alot more people you can bring in to cover their loss.Here you start pissing the fans off you can only draw from a small area.It might be hard for to fill those peoples shoes.

Thats way I keep talking about bringing in a local person who the community knows and he bleeds green.And that person needs to be able to work with the new AD.

I heard from a friend that TAREK HOWARD has put his name in for the GM job.I have known tarek for several years and this is a person who brings a lot to the table.He played hockey here at UND, HE BLEEDS GREEN.He is a lawyer by trade and just look what he has done with the central hockey program. If in deed his has put his name in for the job I hope they look at him very hard.

GOOD LUCK TAREK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too bad he didn't have the opportunity to throw his hat into the opening for head coach at UND. Guess he didn't marry into the right family.