SiouxSports.com Forum

Mailing it in

sprig

After being down 0-28 in the 3rd, UND now leads 35-28 with 1 minute left in the 4th. What a comeback -- sounds like Bowenkamp and Mahmoud were really moving the ball well. Sioux D was solid throughout that streak -- there were a couple interceptions (by UND) and a missed FG attempt in that 35-point streak. It's not over yet, though.

Mankato moves quickly down the field with a long pass that leads to a TD, and GOES FOR TWO for the win instead of the tie! They converted it to lead 36-35.

UND fails to answer with only about 20 secs and loses a heartbreaker. Isn't that the way this season is going.

Two missed field goals and a fumble at the goal line didn't help. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I get frustrated when the Sioux have momentum on their side and play conservatively.

That was the difference in this game. When the Sioux had the opportunity to stick the knife in and give it a twist, they didn't. When Mankato had the opportunity, they did.

What an amazing game....I thought MSU was dead in the water after the Sioux scored their touchdown late in the 4th, and having been shut down completely on offense by the Sioux from the 2nd qtr. on. The way this game ended reminded me of the 94 game in Mankato, which the Sioux won when the Mavs elected to go for two and the pass was batted down in the end zone. I guess things even out in the long run. The Sioux deserve credit for a great comback. On the MSU side, this win along with last week's win over St. Cloud should give them something to build on for the future, and help recruiting; which is much-needed after getting almost no new recruits last year due to the late hiring of Coach Holley. PurpleMav

A home loss to lowly Mankato? A sub-.500 record? I would have never thought this was possible after the excellence of the past 10-12 years, and particularly after last year. I have to say that I'm very disappointed that the Sioux could possibly go scoreless the entire first half against one of the worst defenses I've seen in the NCC in awhile. And the special teams' execution? Extremely poor.

Is anyone else as disillusioned with the play-calling this year as I am? There really should be enough talent there to be able to average 28 points a game or more in the league, and most games the Sioux have not managed 20. And please, get rid of that stupid screen pass to the wide receivers! It doesn't work anymore! Also, I hope Mussman doesn't think he can give Riza the ball 40-plus times a game very often. He's not built to withstand that many hits.

Is there any pride left on this team? What a dismal first quarter performance.

Sprig,That wasn't you who left early was it?(sitting on the 50) :p

Someguy went off in front of his kids saying that, and then sat/stood up in the beer garden. :p

I had to restrain two women who were about to get up and deck this guy! ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was on the big screen!Now I have been on both at the Ralph and Al!

(just about used up my 15 minutes of fame) ;);)

Did Glas miss a field goal attempt in the first half? If so, what was the distance? I have a hard time understanding why the Sioux were playing for field goals in the second half given their special teams problems in the first half.

Go here:

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/footba...asp?GAME_ID=142

and then touch "Individual Stats."

You'll find:

Field goal attempts

----------------------------------------

Jeff Glas 2nd 10:12 44 yds - Missed

Jeff Glas 3rd 07:17 49 yds - Missed

Jeff Glas 4th 06:20 37 yds - Missed

:p

Fumbles, interceptions, penalties, missed assignments, missed tackles, missed FGs, blown coverage, dropped balls, poor officiating, questionable play calling, a mysterious "dancing defense", and a lunatic on the opposing sideline. Start to finish, one of the more poorly played football games I've seen in a long time.

On the plus side: a much better crowd than I anticipated.

dbarker, I'm scratching my head on the play calling as well. The receiver screen has been a joke all year. In fact, we can't run any type of screen well (side note, anyone see the Pack on Monday nite? Talk about a screen pass as a thing of beauty). I thought we could have run our receivers and ends across the middle all day long, instead we continue with these sideline patterns which just play into the hands of a defense short on skill.