SiouxSports.com Forum

Q. Fylling and B. Canady

kr

In Thursday's GF Herald Sports section there was an article on QF (I can't get in to get a link to it - maybe someone out there can put it in here) Anyway.

Assit. Coach DH is quoted saying "Brandon and Zach have put up big numbers, but I think Quinn has been a big part of that. He's been a big piece of the puzzle." ZP on QF: "....but he grinds, and he gets the pucks out of the corner. He gives (us) good chances in front of the net."

The article then talks about QF spending last year in the USHL. Coach DH stated "I think it was a really mature move on Quinn's part to go back to the USHL." "He not only got better as a player, but he became a leader, too, and that's showed up in our locker room."

(He put on 10#s and has much more confidence.)

QF: "I think that extra year helped me out." "It also made me realize how good it is here. I'm here now with a team of guys who really want to win."

Coach Blais: "There's a world of difference. He (QF) started doubting himself his freshman year, and he was frustrated. Going back to the USHL gave him a world of confidence."

QF trails only BB in the number of shots on goal (QF has 19, BB has 21)

Coach Blais: "He's getting 3 or 4 chances a game." "Sooner or later, they'll start to go in. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the next one on our team to get a hat trick."

In Friday's paper there is a column on Brian Canady and his return to play.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...rts/4417818.htm

BC has been given a clean bill of health.

Further down in the article there are blurbs on "Quick Start" "McMahon's Benching" "Jury is Out" "Building its Case" and "Opening Games"

(Lot's of hockey tidbits in Friday's paper: under Kevin Fee's column quite a bit of stuff, in addition to Virg Foss's "Shooting down the shot clock?" column.)

Shots question. What constitutes a shot on goal?

Any puck the goalie has to stop? Or only those sent by the opposing team? Or only those shot from within the blueline?

Just curious. Will soon get to watch my tapes of the Niagara series and maybe I will try to count along.

Shots? This is how it was explained to me one time.

A shot is an attempt to move the puck toward the net in an attempt to score. Any number of things can happen from there.

- It can go "wide" or "off target."

- It can be blocked by the defense.

- It can be a "shot on goal." Those are either saves or goals.

To be considered a "shot on goal" however, it must also have been on its way into the net (hence, "on net") and not going "wide." That's where some judgement comes in (gloving a wide shot to stop play isn't really a shot on goal or a save).

Of course, "in an attempt to score" is kind of arbitrary too. A dump in just wide is just a dump. If it's on net, it's a SOG (and hopefully not worse than a save).

The total "shots on goal" must equal saves plus goals, or SOG = Sv + G.

Total shots = Wide + BBD + SOG = Wide + BBD + Sv + G.

An algebra quiz will follow. :p

I knew that Dave Burkholder, the Niagara coach, questioned his team's shots on goal after the game. However, I don't think the shot clock was off by more than a shot or two -- if it was off at all. After the first period, I made a conscious effort to watch Niagara's shots on goal to see if they'd be the first team to break 20 against the Sioux.

There was a long stretch of time during which the Purple Eagles had no shots on goal. When they finally came, they were few and far between. I can't recall a single Niagara shot not counting that I thought should have counted.

Shots question. What constitutes a shot on goal?

Any puck the goalie has to stop? Or only those sent by the opposing team? Or only those shot from within the blueline?

Just curious. Will soon get to watch my tapes of the Niagara series and maybe I will try to count along.

This is why I love the Sioux Board - Remedial Hockey 101. :p:p;)

Seriously - it can be very subjective and depends on who is keeping the tally.

Here's a quote from the ESPN article:

"(With Blais) you look forward to coming to practice," Parise said. "He's such a great motivator, and he brings so much energy to the bench, you just want to go out there and to every little thing for him."

Sounds to me like Parise regrets his impulsive decision. Also looks like the guys don't like how Blais treats them.