SiouxSports.com Forum

Should UND drop a Men's sports and add Men's Lacrosse?

SIOUXFAN97

Should UND drop a Men's sports and add Men's Lacrosse?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND drop a Men's sports and add Men's Lacrosse?

Just now, JohnboyND7 said:

UND would have zero competition in driving distance. Only 3 teams west of the Mississippi. 4 schools outside the eastern time zone. That would be problematic I think.

assuming that other summit schools would add it--6 or 7

4 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

UND would have zero competition in driving distance. Only 3 teams west of the Mississippi. 4 schools outside the eastern time zone. That would be problematic I think.

part of my "fenton" plan is getting as many sports under one umbrella...I think at one point we had nchc, wcha, big sky...now we have nchc, summit, and mvfc.  trying to get a core of schools together instead of all these alphabet conferences and affilliate schools...

kinda like when it was just the ncc and wcha...

just summit would be even better.

star2city

The Sicatoka said:
We have the field resource already. I just believe that lacrosse has a much better chance of making it at the gate than baseball or softball, in large part due to the climate we live in. Field lacross in the Alerus takes weather off the list of concerns.

And another excuse to tailgate is never a bad thing. :0

Some interesting stats: partipication in men's lacrosse in growing fast, but because of Title IX issues, few DI men's teams have been added.

Growth of NCAA College Lacrosse

Growth of Lacrosse Puts a Pinch on College Game

While the game grows at the middle school and high school level, however, Division I lacrosse remains stuck on 52 teams. That means more and more high school players are competing for a finite number of college scholarships.

"We've got to find a way to get the game to grow at the college level, and I'm not particularly optimistic we can do it," said Virginia Coach Dom Starsia,

Because Lacrosse is relatively easy to pick up on, athletic ability, not lacrosse skills, are what's in demand:

"Teams like Duke and Navy and Georgetown have athletes on their roster. Were they blue chip lacrosse players in high school? Probably not. They are good athletes who have learned lacrosse. I think it's going to be tougher for the kid who grows up with a lacrosse stick in his hand, who has excellent stickwork but might be a step slow. Before, their stickwork would get them onto a college team.

lacrosse is the fastest-growing game in the U.S. at every level.

Scan a list of Division I lacrosse All-Americas, men or women, and you'll find that virtually all played several sports in high school. Virginia men's coach Dom Starsia never saw his best defensive midfielder, J.J. Morrissey, play lacrosse before offering him a scholarship; he signed Morrissey based on how he hit the hole as a tailback. Starsia has recruited other athletes who never even played lacrosse before arriving in Charlottesville. "In the U.S. we play enough hand-eye sports that a kid is going to pick up the stickwork," he says. "Basically, I've got a team full of I-AA football guys."

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Probably could've said the same thing about the big 3 sports when people wanted to add hockey way back when

Hockey had the benefit of being a Canadian sport in a town close to Canada and Minnesota, a state saturated with kids who could play. And a few countries overseas who could play.

LAX is  cute sport. But it doesn't fit here. There isn't a market for it. What next? Jai Alai?