SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show

PCM

Second Panzer is like third on the all time list so I believe he is close to a Hrkac in what he meant to this team. For someone to accomplish those numbers you would have to average 62 points a year for 4 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which, again, misses the point. But...oh well.

I would bet that in every one of the past championships, it was seniors who lead the way

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not necessarily:

1980:

Mark Taylor, senior, was definitely a leader, but it was not a role he solely held. Take the NC game, for example - Doug Smail, MVP of Frozen Four, was a junior and had four goals in that game. Phil Sykes, a sophomore (walk-on nonetheless) had a goal and four assists in NC game.

'87 - extraordinary year, dominating team:

Joyce (captain) Jr.

Hrkac (Hobey) Soph.

Steve Johnson (part-time first liner) Jr.

Kidd (All-American D) Soph.

Belfour (no description needed) Fresh.

'97:

Curtis Murphy (All-American) - Jr.

Jason Blake - Soph. transfer

David Hoogsteen (All-American) Soph.

Matt Henderson (FF MVP) Jr.

'00:

Lee Goren, senior, definitely took a leadership during the second-half of the season, but consider some of these names, all of whom stepped up in some way during the season:

Goehring - Jr.

Panzer - Jr.

Commodore - Jr.

Bayda - Fr.

In the past, UND's program had great success when players, other than seniors, assumed leadership roles.

At this point, though, I don't care what year they are, would somebody on this year's team please step up!!!

Which, again, misses the point. But...oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PCM your not the know all of UND hockey, but you seem to spend a lot of time lecturing people if your were the master guru. Also your opinion isn't the only one that matters, and if you actually got past your arrogance you would find out your missing the point. What I am saying and your not getting it is that Stafford will never be the guy to take his team on his back, like Panzer, Goren, Blake. It has nothing to do with age, or the type of players they were Goren is not the same type of player that Panser is. So come down off your high horse. I suppose you still think Brandt is an awesome goalie too. What is comes down to is someone has to become a leader and stop making excuses.

Edited by Goon

Tearing down Stafford because he isn't Panzer accomplishes nothing. I could just as easily point out that Jeff Panzer was no Tony Hrkac or Jim Archibald. So what? How does that help this team right now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No one is tearing down Stafford he is a decent player he just needs to play with some desire.

Stafford carried Team USA. Why not the Sioux?

Remember: Goren and Panzer couldn't get it done, until they got it done.

We remember them (Goren, Panzer) fondly because they got it done; but, they were just raw potential and raw capability until they used it for success, not unlike the position Mr. Stafford is in right now.

Stafford carried Team USA. Why not the Sioux?

Remember: Goren and Panzer couldn't get it done, until they got it done.

We remember them (Goren, Panzer) fondly because they got it done; but, they were just raw potential and raw capability until they used it for success, not unlike the position Mr. Stafford is in right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats the question I would like answered. Your on to something. Effort, determination, leadership, desire to win. Not excepting loss. Hate losing. Do not except anything less.

What I am saying and your not getting it is that Stafford will never be the guy to take his team on his back, like Panzer, Goren, Blake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's the problem. Your crystal ball is working much better than mine. I think mine needs a good cleaning. Where's the Windex?

I bow to your superiority in predicting future performance and leadership abilities of all Sioux players. Following your example, I will attempt to be less arrogant and opinionated in the future. I've certainly learned my lesson.

Edited by PCM

I like Drew Stafford. I'm not going to hold it against him that he's the youngest player on the team. Nor am I going to hold it against him that he is foolish enough to rely on the upper classmen to maintain leadership roles. I'm not going to hold Drew accountable because he realizes that he is not Zach Parise or Jeff Panzer or Jason Blake or whomever you want to compare him to.

I want to see him play his best for the Sioux. I want to see him play with grit, desire, and determination. If leadership comes about because of that great! If not, that's ok too. You see, I'm very naive. I think there are more players on the ice than just Drew Stafford. Gosh, how naive of me!

It may not be rational to say that we should depend on the juniors and seniors for leadership, but I guess I'm too old school and traditional to change that opinion.

I just want to win. That's all. I'm just not going to put the whole team on one players' shoulders. I'm not like that.

Go Drew.

Go Sioux