SiouxSports.com Forum

All North Dakota College Team

McBuckets

Was thinking about this today. What would a college team made up of North Dakota born/graduated players that are currently playing college basketball look like. This is the roster I came up with.

Starting 5

G: Boden Skunberg, Jamestown, NDSU

G: Aanen Moody, Dickinson, Montana Grizz

F: De'Sean Eikens, Williston, Cal State Northridge

F: Grant Nelson, Devils Lake, NDSU

F: Mason Walters, Jamestown, University of Jamestown

Rotational Players

F: Jacksen Moni, Fargo, Northern State

G: Treysen Eaglestaff, Bismarck, UND

F: Joe Hurlburt, Enderlin, Colorado

G/F: Michael Nhial, Fargo, Northern

Bench

F: Owen Hektner, Fargo, MSUM Morhead

F: Gus Hurlburt, Enderlin, Northwestern

F: Dalton Albrecht, Grafton, Bemidji

G: Jayce Lowman, Mandan, Bemidji

G: Ben Bohl, Minot, Minot State

G: Deonte; Martinez, Minot, BSC

I really wanted to put a starting 5 of Moni, Walters, and Nelson out there and just watch teams deal with trying to match up with our size but decided bringing Moni off the bench would be the best. The clear weakness of this team is having no true point guard/ball handler on the roster. Eaglestaff and Skunberg will have to step into that role and be more of a play maker which they have not had to do much in their career. The other weakness is 3 point shooting, we all know Moody can shoot the lights out but the rest of the roster be made up of bogs spacing may become an issue. Moni and Walters have been shooting the ball well this year at 37% and 38% but wonder if that would drop a couple percentage points at the D1 level.

Let me know how you think this team would do! What is the ceiling for this team, also did I miss any ND players who should be on this roster? I have a few honorable mentions but hope I didn't miss anybody. 

I think that is a pretty good list. You are right that no true PG and lack of spacing would be the downfall of that squad! The floor would be congested on offense! A lot of length and solid defenders on defense though!

On a side note: Sather needs to get Mason Walters in a UND jersey for next year. It will be tough as I'm sure he is leaning towards NDSU to fill in the spot of Grant Nelson and to play with his old teammate Boden one more year but I would really like to see him in a UND jersey!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I think that is a pretty good list. You are right that no true PG and lack of spacing would be the downfall of that squad! The floor would be congested on offense! A lot of length and solid defenders on defense though!

On a side note: Sather needs to get Mason Walters in a UND jersey for next year. It will be tough as I'm sure he is leaning towards NDSU to fill in the spot of Grant Nelson and to play with his old teammate Boden one more year but I would really like to see him in a UND jersey!

Even this recruiting class doesn't offer any ball handlers. Would add some good 2 guards with Doppler and Dissette and then some nice size with forwards Connner Kraft and Carson Yale, and big man Ryan Erickson. 

I agree Sather needs to do whatever he can to get Mason Walter on the team next year. I've watch a couple of his games this year on BEK and he is the real deal. He would fit in perfectly on this team, but it does seem like NDSU makes the most sense for him next year. Also think Jacksen Moni would be a great fit for this team. A big who can stretch the floor pretty good. I don't know if he would leave Northern but would be a good get plus an in state kid.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

Even this recruiting class doesn't offer any ball handlers. Would add some good 2 guards with Doppler and Dissette and then some nice size with forwards Connner Kraft and Carson Yale, and big man Ryan Erickson. 

I agree Sather needs to do whatever he can to get Mason Walter on the team next year. I've watch a couple of his games this year on BEK and he is the real deal. He would fit in perfectly on this team, but it does seem like NDSU makes the most sense for him next year. Also think Jacksen Moni would be a great fit for this team. A big who can stretch the floor pretty good. I don't know if he would leave Northern but would be a good get plus an in state kid.

Do you know if Walters is looking to transfer?  If he is Sather most definitely should be on the phone ASAP!  He would be a great fit for UND.  I always felt his talent was wasted on UJ.  

21 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Do you know if Walters is looking to transfer?  If he is Sather most definitely should be on the phone ASAP!  He would be a great fit for UND.  I always felt his talent was wasted on UJ.  

He’s been quoted as saying he would be open to using his last year of eligibility somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

He will be leaving to play someplace else after this season with 1 more year of eligibility. Mason is a bigger, stronger, more physical TT. At 6'9" he may be "undersized" at the D1 level but he plays a lot stronger and is physical enough to make up for the height. He isn't a 4 man as he can't really play out on the wing, but he can catch and shoot it from 3 on pick and pop situations. He is a more physical and better overall skilled TT. I think he would do very well at UND. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

He will be leaving to play someplace else after this season with 1 more year of eligibility. Mason is a bigger, stronger, more physical TT. At 6'9" he may be "undersized" at the D1 level but he plays a lot stronger and is physical enough to make up for the height. He isn't a 4 man as he can't really play out on the wing, but he can catch and shoot it from 3 on pick and pop situations. He is a more physical and better overall skilled TT. I think he would do very well at UND. 

He would definitely be an improvement over T in my opinion.   But I actually could see them both starting and have a big line for once.   I hope he doesn't want to join his old teammate Boden at NDSU though.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Yes. he plans on transferring to a D1 school. I have afriend who refs that conference and he said he sticks out tlike a sore thumb in that division. I would love to see him at UND but would also think it would be cool if he landed a P5 Scholarship somewhere. He certainly fits a school like Craighton.

20 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Yes. he plans on transferring to a D1 school. I have afriend who refs that conference and he said he sticks out tlike a sore thumb in that division. I would love to see him at UND but would also think it would be cool if he landed a P5 Scholarship somewhere. He certainly fits a school like Craighton.

I don't think he will get a ton of major program looks. He is in that unfortunate position where he isn't big enough to be a center at a major program but he also isn't quick enough or have wing skills enough to play as a power forward at a major program. Not sure many top 25 teams in the nation will be offering him scholarships.

I think as of now NDSU is probably the best fit and in the front running to land him after the season. He would fit into the same role Grant Nelson has for them seamlessly. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I don't think he will get a ton of major program looks. He is in that unfortunate position where he isn't big enough to be a center at a major program but he also isn't quick enough or have wing skills enough to play as a power forward at a major program. Not sure many top 25 teams in the nation will be offering him scholarships.

I think as of now NDSU is probably the best fit and in the front running to land him after the season. He would fit into the same role Grant Nelson has for them seamlessly. 

He has a really nice frame at 6'9" 225 lbs but I agree just isn't quick enough to be out on the wing full time. I think he could play the 4 at a high level though, he might struggle guarding quicker athlete 4s, but his stats say he has 57 blocks this season and that really intrigues me as a back side defender. His is also shooting 38% from 3 and 83% from the line on over 100 attempts each. Can only imagine another off season of work he would improve on that. Sather needs to be going all out once the season ends to get him on a visit.

• Upvote 1