SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching philosophy at UND: Three tally is dead

The Sicatoka

(For this conversation a “tally” is a hockey goal or a football touchdown.)

I’m tired of UND coaches being behind the times.

I swear they think they are still living in the era where three tallies or a three tally lead is enough and you can shut down the offense and rely on defense to get you home. And heaven forbid you hang a big squiggly number on someone. 

That three tally era is long gone. The current era coaches see three tallies as nothing and will fight to the end to overcome it. And that fight will overcome the best defense. 

At least one UND coach has figured out three tallies and defense won’t get it done and has shown he’ll leave the offense active and hang six or seven tallies.

The coach that figured it out and adapted: Schweigert. I congratulate Coach Schweigert for letting the offense run lately.  

Coach Berry could learn something from Coach Schweigert. 

Berry needs to learn it’s OK to hang a “squiggly” on the other guy. DU, SCSU, WMU, UNO, et al seem to have no concerns when they do it. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

(For this conversation a “tally” is a hockey goal or a football touchdown.)

I’m tired of UND coaches being behind the times.

I swear they think they are still living in the era where three tallies or a three tally lead is enough and you can shut down the offense and rely on defense to get you home. And heaven forbid you hang a big squiggly number on someone. 

That three tally era is long gone. The current era coaches see three tallies as nothing and will fight to the end to overcome it. And that fight will overcome the best defense. 

At least one UND coach has figured out three tallies and defense won’t get it done and has shown he’ll leave the offense active and hang six or seven tallies.

The coach that figured it out and adapted: Schweigert. I congratulate Coach Schweigert for letting the offense run lately.  

Coach Berry could learn something from Coach Schweigert. 

Berry needs to learn it’s OK to hang a “squiggly” on the other guy. DU, SCSU, WMU, UNO, et al seem to have no concerns when they do it. 

You better hope no one brings this post to the Football side; several you know who's will take issue with any positives about Bubba.