SiouxSports.com Forum

10/16/02 UND Coaches Show

PCM

I listened to Dean Blais on the UND coaches show tonight. I didn't take notes, so I'm just going from memory (always dangerous!).

As you might imagine, there was a good deal of talk about Zach Parise's performance in his first two games. Blais said he couldn't remember any rookie ever having such an immediate impact.

Tim Hessessy said that he thought the comparison to Neal Broten was appropriate. He noted that Tony Hrkac could do magical things with the puck when you got it to him, but Parise goes and gets it. He said that Greg Johnson was a great playmaker without a great shot, but Parise has a great shot. Blais didn't disagree with him.

Blais also said that Parise's habit of being on the ice at every opportunity is starting to catch on with other players. Now, it's usually not Parise alone on the ice, but a group of players with him. That says a great deal about his leadership ability. Blais also noted that team chemistry is much improved over last season.

Other players Blais spoke positively about were David Lundbohm and Colby Genoway. He thinks Genoway will contribute when he begins playing. He was especially enthusiastic about Lundbohm. After saying that he didn't play well last season, Blais noted that it was Lundbohm who insisted that the players spend the summer working hard to prepare for this season.

Blais said he hated to single anybody out for praise because he thought they all played well last weekend. He agreed with Hennessy that last season's team probably never would have come back against Michigan. I was hoping that Blais would comment on the goaltending, but he never did.

On the injury front, Brian Canady's shoulder is healing, but not 100 percent yet. Prpich has a groin pull. (Speaking from personal experience, that's a tough injury to play with and tough injury to heal.) He didn't say anything about when he expected them back.

Hennessy thinks that Niagara will be a good test for the Sioux because they played Michigan tough. The exhibition game next Tuesday against the U of Manitoba should be interesting. Blais said that while the game doesn't mean anything, losing it could hurt the Sioux at playoff time. Therefore, it sounds as if they're taking it seriously.

If anyone else heard the show, please feel free to add anything I've left out.

Thanks PCM --- he also mentioned that WDAZ (channel 8) is doing a special segment on SSM (tonight/Thursday I believe). He commented that the arena this year feels like the "old Engelstad" not like the "new Ralph". Next year they are trying to organize the first game of the season to be held at the New Ralph (in TRF), UMN is booked so hoping that it'll be Duluth.

Also quite a discussion on why Michigan won't come to play at UND. It sounds like Michigan would like to come to REA for a game or two but their non-conference schedule is pretty booked (they have games with UW and UMN every year). The only time it appears it'd be feasible for UM to come to UND would be for the first game of the year, as in the season they are busy with tourneys.

A caller commented on the schedule that it appears that it forces the team to win early - Coach Blais said that the schedule is ludicrous- 14 home games (edit: in a row, at the beginning of the season), the ultimate schedule would be 2 home series, 2 away series.

Swyg will be doing color for the Niagra series with Tim - he (Swyg) said his standard comment will still be "whoa, was that fast".

Coach Blais' ending comment was that we shouldn't be worse than last year. :D

Hmm.. of course losing to manitoba would suck, but how in the world would it affect the playoffs if it doesnt go on the record.:D

Because the people who make the playoff decisions will remember it, regardless of whether the game officially counts.

Thanks, PCM. There was SO much positive in that interview.

Very excited to hear his comments about

1. Team chemistry being improved

2. Critical of D. Lundbohm last year, really happy with him this year. AND that Lundbohm was a leader insisting guys worked this summer. My concern has been Lundbohm's effort for this year. Now I have erased that board and am starting clean again. This is exciting. It was so good to see his 5 points this last weekend.

3. Positive comments on Genoway's ability to be productive. I think this is key to the Sioux being offensively threatening on down through the lines. Excellent news.