SiouxSports.com Forum

all-conference

UND92,96

UND lands seven first-teamers: Kuper (most valuable o-lineman), Anderson, Hermes, Gagner (most valuable d.b.), Manke, Glas and Dressler. Second teamers were Smith, Roland, Johnson, Duchscher, Peterson, Brandsted and Halfman. Lennon was also named co-coach of the year, along with Behrns. That's kind of a surprise considering the jobs the USD and Mankato coaches did.

I wonder when the last time a true freshman made first-team all-conference?

This is just a guess- Kleinsasser? Reggie Scott?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kleinsasser made it as a sophomore, but not a freshman. According to the online NDSU media guide, Scott made it in 1996, which I believe was his sophomore year also (not sure whether he red-shirted). Technically, I suppose USD's Stefan Logan qualifies, but I would put a pretty big asterisk there since he was a 22-year-old freshman last season. I suppose the better question is when is the last time a true freshman of normal age (18 or 19) was selected first-team all-NCC? If it has happened recently, it was probably a punter or kicker.

Kleinsasser made it as a sophomore, but not a freshman. According to the online NDSU media guide, Scott made it in 1996, which I believe was his sophomore year also (not sure whether he red-shirted). Technically, I suppose USD's Stefan Logan qualifies, but I would put a pretty big asterisk there since he was a 22-year-old freshman last season. I suppose the better question is when is the last time a true freshman of normal age (18 or 19) was selected first-team all-NCC? If it has happened recently, it was probably a punter or kicker.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scott was a sophomore in 96, he started as a true freshman in 95.

I was very happy with most of the all-conference selections. Chris Kupers was a no brainer, along with the most valuable lineman. Gagners as well. I would have liked to see maybe another reciever at honorable mention. And I thought Ullspberger, Nordiq, Babington-Johnson, and Hoffschneider would have gotten at least honorable mention, or one of them at least. Every year though I guess folks get left out, but I thought they deserved it. Especially Nordiq, being a senior, Ullspberger, for tons of plays, Hoffschneider for much improved play. But I guess next year.

I am really disappointed...In my humble opinion Whistoff deserves recognition!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, he has played in every game for the past 4 years and it is obvious our running game does better with the lead blocker. I think the NCC is including the FB position next year.

The FB position always gets overlooked. It's probably the only position that gets less recognition than the OL. Look at the NFL, I've never understood how Alstott would always make the Pro Bowl as a FB. He can't block, and he would play HB in short-yardage formations.