SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA teams and #of games

JESUS,family,rutgers

I was wondering why some teams,such as alaska and colorado college, have not played any WCHA games and other teams have played four?

Just a scheduling situation. It happens this way every year and it makes it really tough to really evaluate league standings until after Christmas.

I was wondering why some teams,such as alaska and colorado college, have not played any WCHA games and other teams have played four?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may have noticed in the Sioux schedule that WCHA teams do not play home and home series against each other. Each team has a so-called "rival", who they play home and home against every year (in the Sioux's case, that's SCSU). Everyone else rotates among 1 series at home, 1 series on the road, and a home and home series. For example, last weekend's Gopher series is the only one between the 2 teams this year. Next year the Sioux will play one series at MN, and the following year will have a home and home once again.

You may have noticed in the Sioux schedule that WCHA teams do not play home and home series against each other. Each team has a so-called "rival", who they play home and home against every year (in the Sioux's case, that's SCSU). Everyone else rotates among 1 series at home, 1 series on the road, and a home and home series. For example, last weekend's Gopher series is the only one between the 2 teams this year. Next year the Sioux will play one series at MN, and the following year will have a home and home once again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't UND only have one game against UofM a couple of years ago? And no game in the Ralph. I thought that happened in 2002

You may have noticed in the Sioux schedule that WCHA teams do not play home and home series against each other. Each team has a so-called "rival", who they play home and home against every year (in the Sioux's case, that's SCSU). Everyone else rotates among 1 series at home, 1 series on the road, and a home and home series. For example, last weekend's  Gopher series is the only one between the 2 teams this year. Next year the Sioux will play one series at MN, and the following year will have a home and home once again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that it matters that much, but I think the "non-rival" teams are in a rotation as follows:

'01-'02 - Home and Away

'02-'03 - Home

'03-'04 - Home and Away

'04-'05 - Away

'05-'06 - Home and Away

etc....

So every other year we get both Gophs/Sioux series. On the "shaft" years, the teams will need to make up for it with post season tilts. :lol:

I have always thought that a big part of college rivalries is that each team should play home and away each year in basketball,hockey,etc. Football,of course is another story. With conferences getting larger and larger, this is going out the window. Here with the Big East next year, we will go a couple years without some basketball teams coming to Rutgers because the conference is going to be huge in 2005---

Rutgers, Seton Hall, Syracuse, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Marquette,

South Florida, Connecticut, Providence, Villanova, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Saint John's, and De Paul.