SiouxSports.com Forum

Commissioners' Cup Series Unveiled

Air Force One

Rather than dinking around with another "Cup", I think it would be a better use of time to work to strengthen the game's exposure, especially in areas where the NHL is taking a break. I don't see the CHA or ACC, or whatever MAAC is today, as really being relevant in the national scheme.

What makes me interested in this series is that maybe this might wake up the eastern media that hockey exsists outside of New England (I can wish can't I?) Then I wanted to see the schedule outside of those 3 listed that were going to be on CSTV to make sure the WCHA gets some legit matchups. WCHA-7 games: 3 against CCHA, 3 against Hockey East, 1 against ECAC. How about any WCHA team vs CHA or Alantic Hockey? Looks like the upper echelon conferences will duke it out and split the points up and the lesser conferences will will rack up points in marqee matchups like Air Force (CHA) vs. Sacred Heart (AHA). Maybe it will be better in coming years when some games could be set up just for a Commissoner's Cup matchup.

For those that care, here's the whole schedule:

OCTOBER

Saturday, October 23

Ferris State (CCHA) at Bemidji State (CHA)

Rensselaer (ECACHL) at Army (AHA)

Holy Cross (AHA) at Alabama-Huntsville (CHA)

Wayne State (CHA) at Merrimack (HEA)

Northeastern (HEA) at Colgate (ECACHL)

Friday, October 29

Miami (CCHA) at St. Lawrence (ECACHL)

North Dakota (WCHA) at Boston College (HEA) - CSTV

NOVEMBER

Thursday,November 4

Northern Michigan (CCHA) at Michigan Tech (WCHA)

Friday, November 12

UConn (AHA) at Ferris State (CCHA)

Saturday, November 20

Brown (ECACHL) at Minnesota-Duluth (WCHA)

Friday, November 26

Air Force (CHA) vs. Sacred Heart (AHA)*

Saturday, November 27

Massachusetts (HEA) at Denver (WCHA)

DECEMBER

Saturday, December 11

Maine (HEA) at Harvard (ECACHL)

Sunday, December 12

Robert Morris (CHA) at Quinnipiac (AHA)

Thursday, December 30

Ohio State (CCHA) v. Colorado College (WCHA)**

JANUARY

Sunday, January 2

Union (ECACHL) at UConn (AHA)

Monday, January 3

Minnesota (WCHA) at Boston University (HEA) - CSTV

Saturday, January 8

Canisius (AHA) at Niagara (CHA)

Wednesday, January 12

New Hampshire (HEA) vs. Dartmouth (ECACHL)***

Friday, January 21

Wisconsin (WCHA) at Notre Dame (CCHA) - CSTV

Saturday, January 29

Wayne State (CHA) at Nebraska-Omaha (CCHA)

* At Houston Fieldhouse in Troy, NY

** At Nationwide Arena in Columbus, OH

*** At Verizion Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH

• 2 months later...

Well, it's over and guess who won? Must be nice to get such a cupcake schedule that really shows where the power in college hockey is!

Jan. 14, 2005

ECACHL Wins Inaugural Commissioner's Cup

Compiled by USCHO Staff

The ECAC Hockey League claimed full ownership of the first-ever Commissioners' Cup Series Wednesday evening (Jan. 12), as Dartmouth defeated New Hampshire 9-8 in the final Cup game for the ECACHL and Hockey East. The ECAC Hockey League entered the weekend knowing it had secured at least a tie for the Cup, as the league had a 5-1-0 record to No.2 Hockey East's 4-2-0 mark.

Created by the commissioners from the nation's six Division I ice hockey conferences, the Commissioners' Cup Series awards points for various games played among the conferences. Each conference participates in seven designated contests, and the conference that amasses the most points through its seven games wins the Cup.

The ECAC Hockey League won the Cup with victories by Rensselaer (5-1 vs. Army), St. Lawrence (6-4 vs. Miami), Brown (2-1 vs. Minnesota-Duluth), Harvard (4-1 vs. Maine), Union (4-0 vs. Connecticut) and Dartmouth (9-8 vs. New Hampshire).

As of now, the ECACHL finishes the series with 12 points followed by Hockey East with 10. College Hockey America (with one game left) and the CCHA (with two games remaining) are tied for third with six points. The WCHA (one more game to go) is fifth with five points and Atlantic Hockey is sixth (series complete) with two points.

The Commissioners Cup will be presented to the ECAC Hockey League at its championship, played March 18-19 at the Pepsi Arena in Albany, N.Y.