SiouxSports.com Forum

Students of SS

jloos

It's just agenda setting. It's a hot topic at UND...if the Herald writes an editorial here or there, the topic will continue. The Herald then becomes the main source for information on the subject and people will then pay money to buy the Herald and read what they have to say. It's just a good business policy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but the Heraldo is certainly good at pushing the agenda and the issue that they want. I'm sure another nickname article is just around the corner. :)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people say that the students get discounted prices, that is somewhat true. Each and every student pays an activity fee which is part of enrollment. Now this fee may not be close to the amount that season ticket holders donate, but it is still money that the students pay.

As to why UND/REA doesn't allow season tickets to students in the upper deck is beyond me. REA doesn't want the students to have general admission tickets cause REA would have to regulate a line outside the building. Personally I thought that once they had the fencing setup that the line issue was not as big of a deal. (then again I was always up front so I don't know :) ) Now that they aren't allowing season tickets for the upper deck, aren't they once again turning it into general admission.(just not for lower deck) Personally I know that I am going to be lined up early to make sure I get front row upper deck, as well as many others. Standing in line waiting for a game is half the atmosphere of going to a game. But what do I know, I've only missed two games in the last 6 years.

Morley: the line issue... another problem that was huge my senior year.

Easy solution, let students stand in line right up at the ID swiper. That way there would be no rushing the door. The only reason people rushed is because once you got into the door, you had to walk (errr run) to the ID swiper

I just wanted to share a little secret with the rest of you. I am a senior at UND and like a lot of you I have attended every game since I can remember. I was fortunate enough to have obtained a lower bowl season ticket this year, but I was not so fortunate last year. Each and every game last year I was forced to buy an upper bowl student ticket and fight for a seat close to the front. Here's something a few of you just might want to try. I would sit in the upper level during the first period and look down into the lower bowl student section to see what students didn't show up for the game and left their seat open. During the first intermission I would then go down into the lower bowl because they are done checking tickets by then, and sit in one of the seats that I saw was open. It worked every game last year because there were always students who didn't show up, and with the way that they handled ticket distribution this year, I would imagine there will be alot of open seats.

The dakota student article brought up a good point.  However, they will never open up more student seats when so many remain empty every game (with a few exceptions - i.e. minny series).  The people to my right last year went to maybe 1/2 the games.  The people to my left maybe 1/4 of the games.  There were plenty of empty seats in section 108 - most games students from the upper bowl snuck down to around the middle of the second period to fill in a little bit.

SIOUXPR

You probably sat next to me some of those games. The idiots that had tickets on either side of me really ticked me off. They should do it like class - if you don't show up they boot you out and give your seat to someone else. :)

Scalping student tickets renews lottery concerns

Schuetzle says sale of student tickets would have happend regardless of lottery system.

By Matt Schill

October 04, 2004

Student Body President Jordan Schuetzle calls it unfortunate, but said there's not much that can be done.

Some students have been selling their season hockey tickets. In the Oct. 1 issue of the Dakota Student, one student, who declined to have his named published, placed a classified ad selling two seats of season student hockey tickets for $300 each or best offer.

"My first thought is that it can happen," Schuetzle said. "It was unfortunate that they were asking so much."

The seller did not want disclose how much he sold the tickets for, but said it was over the $75 dollar per seat students paid. The seller took a handful of requests through e-mail before personally meeting with the buyers before selling the tickets.

The seller and five friends needed only six seats. After four individuals were selected in the lottery, they bought eight tickets, and decided to sell the extra two.

And it came down to economics.

"Why should we sell them to whomever, when I can sell them for the most we can," the seller said.

Schuetlze said he understands the argument, but wished students who showed up for tickets could have received them.

"There were 2,000 students who could have (tickets) for $75," Schuetzle said.

Complaints

Freshman Jeremy Nelson voiced his concern in a letter to the editor, printed in today's Dakota Student.

Nelson wrote that Student Government's ticket process was unsuccessful and unfair.

"The lottery process did exactly what Student Government had intended - it allowed everyone to have an equal shot at the tickets," Nelson wrote, later adding, "I hope everyone has noticed what a true rip-off this lottery process was."

Schuetzle that the lottery process had nothing to do with students selling tickets.

"It still could have happened if we had a line," Schuetzle said.

He said that every game can't always be attended, by both students and the public, which was a major reason for a change in the contract students needed to sign before buying tickets.

The clause, "I understand I am responsible for actions made by any individual sitting in my reserved seat. Giving a game ticket to another individual whom violates an arena rule, may result in a loss of my seat," was removed from this year's contract.

Resale

The resale of tickets or "scalping" is legal in the state of North Dakota. Instead it grants municipalities and localities the ability to license, tax, remove or prohibit resale. Grand Forks has no laws against ticket resale.

"We're helping the system," the seller said before selling the tickets. "People who want the tickets the most will get them. Even the most we are offering is still less than what the public pays."

I would love to meet "seller" preferably on the rink, or a very dark alley. ???