SiouxSports.com Forum

Kimbrough looking at DI

SiouxMeNow

Roebuck and Brewer were seen at Kimbrough's volleyball match last night-Do you suppose there is still hope?    :p

According to the blurb in last Thursday's Herald, she is going to take an official visit to UND, along with Iowa St., Northwestern and possibly Minnesota. I don't think Minnesota will offer her but you never know. UND offers the opportunity to play close to home, for a very strong program and in very nice facilities. At UND she knows she'd be playing for a winner, whereas Northwestern is terrible and Iowa St. seems to have fallen off since the Megan Taylor, et al. days. As long as she's interested enough to visit, I'd say there's still a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

It was interesting to learn that the gophers didn't even look at her last year. I guess they wrote her a letter and apologized and invited her down there this summer to play in some league. UND has been constantly watching her, long before UM, they have a leg up on UM but I don't know if that will be enough to get her. The word is she has gotton alot stronger and faster then last year, and is a very classy person. Just wonder if she would like to play with roysland or play with bagaason and langen, or does it matter. Also heard that NDSU has given up on her but UND still has a chance. It would be a steal.

Minnesota has three pretty talented frontcourt players who are freshmen this year, plus two verbals for next year, so I have to wonder what the potential playing time situation for Kimbrough would be there. In any event, I certainly wouldn't begrudge her for going to Minnesota if they offered. However, while I have no inside info, I still think that Roebuck has a decent chance if it comes down to UND and one or two mediocre dI programs hundreds of miles away.

• 2 weeks later...

I am biased but I would not catagorize Iowa State as mediocre. They have been to postseason play seven of the last eight years (6 NCAA and 1 NIT), with 3 NCAA Sweet Sixteen, 1 NCAA Elite Eight and 1 NIT Final Four appearance, play in one of the top two conferences in the country (Big 12) and have been ranked in the top five in the country in attendance the last seven years with over 9,000 per game. ISU actually has more history than UM, but UM has been much better the last couple of years.

Last year ISU went to the semi-finals of the NIT with a team with only one senior, playing two of the games before sell out crowds of over 14,000.

Kimbrough may go to UND and that may be the best decision for her based on distance and family, but I just wanted to point out that ISU was not some mediocre mid-major program, it is big time D1 women's college basketball.

I am biased but I would not catagorize Iowa State as mediocre.  They have been to postseason play seven of the last eight years (6 NCAA and 1 NIT), with 3 NCAA Sweet Sixteen, 1 NCAA Elite Eight and 1 NIT Final Four appearance, play in one of the top two conferences in the country (Big 12) and have been ranked in the top five in the country in attendance the last seven years with over 9,000 per game.  ISU actually has more history than UM, but UM has been much better the last couple of years. 

Last year ISU went to the semi-finals of the NIT with a team with only one senior, playing two of the games before sell out crowds of over 14,000.

Kimbrough may go to UND and that may be the best decision for her based on distance and family, but I just wanted to point out that ISU was not some mediocre mid-major program, it is big time D1 women's college basketball.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't deny that Iowa St. draws well, plays in a very good conference, and did very well during the glory days of Taylor, Welle, et al. But over the past two years, Iowa St. is a combined 30 wins, 31 losses. To me, that's mediocre. It obviously remains to be seen whether they can regain their form from 3 or 4 years ago, or whether their success was based on hitting the jackpot with a few recruits who were overlooked by some of the traditional powers. For example, if Minnesota had had a decent coach back then, they would have been all over Taylor and Welle. That could have entirely changed the fortunes of Iowa St.

I can't deny that Iowa St. draws well, plays in a very good conference, and did very well during the glory days of Taylor, Welle, et al.  But over the past two years, Iowa St. is a combined 30 wins, 31 losses.  To me, that's mediocre.  It obviously remains to be seen whether they can regain their form from 3 or 4 years ago, or whether their success was based on hitting the jackpot with a few recruits who were overlooked by some of the traditional powers.  For example, if Minnesota had had a decent coach back then, they would have been all over Taylor and Welle.  That could have entirely changed the fortunes of Iowa St

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ISU had a poor year two years ago but bounced back pretty well last year. They won 18 games and improved greatly as the year went on. The season included getting to the final four of the NIT, beating Texas Tech when they were 12 - 0 and rated #1 in the country, and also beating Oklahoma & Baylor when they were in the top 15 in the country. They had two freshman starting (Medders from CA and Ronhovde from MN, Ronhovde was recruited very hard by MN) that set freshman records for scoring and assists.

ISU also has commitments that if they would add Kimbrough to them would give them probably the best recruiting class they have ever had. I understand I am on your message board and know that you have a fabulous program, but think that you are really selling Iowa State short if you call them a mediocre program. Their record two years ago was mediocre, but that is the only thing mediocre about their program as they also rated third in all of the NCAA among D1 programs in GPA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As being somewhat objective ( I've lived in Ames since 2001), I'd say that ISU is somewhere between mediocre and top-level.  But I do think it would be an attractive place for a girl to play bball.  Beautiful campus, great fan support, and a great college atmosphere.

Also, something that I've been wondering about; how come she ruled NDSU so early.  I'd appreciate an answer other than "Because NDSU sucks".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only she can probably answer that. It's possible that she just grew up more of a UND fan. I think UND has been recruiting her from the start and perhaps NDSU got in later and she basically told them that she's either going to a dI school in a major conference, or she's going to UND. It's anyone's guess.

According to a source close to Kimbrough, she is not interested at all in going to the U of M. Also, after visiting Northwestern and ISU, she has thrown out the chance of going to Northwestern also. So it is down between ISU and UND. According to this same source, the chances right now are about 25/75 respectively. Of course, being a Sioux fan, I would love to see her come here, she is a legitimate threat with the ball and has the size to play in the NCC. As a bonus she is lefthanded, but can handle the ball with both hands well, and that could surprise a lot of teams in her first year. The only thing that I am scared about is that she will become highly publicized this year because of her breaking the all time scoring record (which she will do) to the point that other D1 schools start to look seriously into her and are willing to offer her a good chunk of money. UND cannot play in that field. I will let everyone know more when I watch her play from on the court.

According to a source close to Kimbrough, she is not interested at all in going to the U of M.  Also, after visiting Northwestern and ISU, she has thrown out the chance of going to Northwestern also.  So it is down between ISU and UND.  According to this same source, the chances right now are about 25/75 respectively.  Of course, being a Sioux fan, I would love to see her come here, she is a legitimate threat with the ball and has the size to play in the NCC.  As a bonus she is lefthanded, but can handle the ball with both hands well, and that could surprise a lot of teams in her first year.  The only thing that I am scared about is that she will become highly publicized this year because of her breaking the all time scoring record (which she will do) to the point that other D1 schools start to look seriously into her and are willing to offer her a good chunk of money.  UND cannot play in that field.  I will let everyone know more when I watch her play from on the court.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great information. Thanks for the update. She would be one of the highest profile recruits UND has had, along with Jenny Crouse and Jaime Pudenz. Hopefully the opportunity to play in front of family and friends on a regular basis will win out over the opportunity to play in the Big 12.

:blush:

Regarding all of the "inside information" on Kimbrough, I do know this....she has narrowed it down to Iowa State and UND. I don't know that she will even entertain any new offers from D-I as she has already turned down offers from Colorado State, Kansas State, New Mexico, Northwestern, NDSU, & SDSU etc. and too many D-II schools to mention. I also know she would like to sign during the early period, which is November 10, so she can enjoy her senior year of basketball. Therefore, new offers would not be a factor even if she wanted to deal with them. I would say proximity to home has a part to play and that is why both schools are still in it. As for the percentages of which way she'll go, I have no idea, I just know that that's where she's at now and either place will be very lucky to get her!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Kimbrough is making her official visit to UND today. She was out having lunch with her parents and coach roebuck today. I wonder if she will attend the hockey game tonight. That would be quite a recruiting tool. It's good to see her last official visit is UND, leaves a fresh impression in someone's mind. I'm sure she will decide pretty soon, as high school basketball starts in about two weeks. Also, Lindsey Whalin is in town and was at sioux boosters today.

Looks like Kimbrough is making her official visit to UND today.  She was out having lunch with her parents and coach roebuck today.  I wonder if she will attend the hockey game tonight.  That would be quite a recruiting tool.  It's good to see her last official visit is UND, leaves a fresh impression in someone's mind.  I'm sure she will decide pretty soon, as high school basketball starts in about two weeks.  Also, Lindsey Whalin is in town and was at sioux boosters today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Minnesota hockey series, and the football game tomorrow, this would be a great weekend for a recruiting visit.

It's good to see her last official visit is UND, leaves a fresh impression in someone's mind. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think this is her last official visit. I have heard that she is scheduled to visit Iowa St. in a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Kimbrough, a Greenbush, Minn. native, is the all-time leading scorer at Badger-Greenbush-Middle River with over 2,000 points.  The 6-foot-3 lefty is also on pace to finish her career with 1,000 rebounds for the Gators.  Kimbrough, who turned down offers from Big Ten and Big XII schools among others, averaged 31.3 points and 11.6 rebounds per game last season in being named to the Associated Press' all-state girls basketball second team.

Those are some extremely impressive numbers.