SiouxSports.com Forum

An Open Letter from the NCAA

dagies

Open Letter

Open Letter to the NCAA Ice Hockey Community

Compiled by USCHO Staff

The following is an open letter to the college ice hockey community, from the NCAA commissioners and supervisors of officials, in conjunction with the NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules Committee.

Over the past year, a common discussion has taken place in both the professional hockey community and the college hockey community. The discussion has focused on somewhat recent developments in the game, many, but not all of which have resulted in a decrease in offensive opportunities on the ice.

These developments have been identified as wide ranging and include, but are not limited to, the areas of technology, officiating, coaching, equipment and talent. Many of these areas are inter-related. Technology allows players to train better and become bigger, stronger, and faster. Technology allows coaches to break down game tapes and better prepare for an opponent. Technology leads to larger, lighter, more protective equipment for goaltenders and non-goaltenders alike. Input from coaches has influenced how the game is called by on-ice officials.

There is a growing consensus among many of us in the college hockey community that the time has come to affect changes of our own. The "us" refers to the NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules Committee, the college ice hockey commissioners and supervisors, NCAA staff and many head and assistant coaches. This document has been produced to identify the changes that are being sought this winter.

First step

The NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules Committee reviewed the overall state of the game at its annual meeting June 2004. The committee, after some consultation with commissioners and supervisors, voted only one point of emphasis for the upcoming season

Now lets see if the WCHA officials will call the game at is suppose to be called. I will believe it when I see it.

Yup. exactly.

It's one thing to address issues, it's another entirely to have it come to fruition. I don't believe that 90 percent of the WCHA officials are competant enough to integrate this fully.

The refs need consistancy and the ability to actually control the game without calling 20 penalties a game. I do not see this as attainable in the short run. It is hardly forseeable with the current set of refs even in the long run.

I'm sure the NCAA and WCHA officials know they can never eliminate ALL hooking and similar problems, but just to begin by calling flagrant violations would be great! When a lower quality akating team can keep up on the scoreboard only by constantly mugging typically fast teams like UND it makes you want to start watching basketball - SORRY, I wouldn't take it that far. Hockey will always be the greatest game on earth, but a little more control is probably needed to enhance the fans enjoyment.

I'm sure the NCAA and WCHA officials know they can never eliminate ALL hooking and similar problems, but just to begin by calling flagrant violations would be great! When a lower quality akating team can keep up on the scoreboard only by constantly mugging typically fast teams like UND it makes you want to start watching basketball - SORRY, I wouldn't take it that far. Hockey will always be the greatest game on earth, but a little more control is probably needed to enhance the fans enjoyment.

I don't mean to rip on you, but I find it ironic that your user name is justletemplay and you're talking about calling more penalties. :p

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face tonight.

Now lets see if the WCHA officials will call the game at is suppose to be called. I will believe it when I see it.

agreed.

Altho "justletemplay" has a point, just like football, where every play has holding, one can never have a "pure" game, but these flagrant goons should start getting called onthe carpet (ice). I wonder how certain teams will fare if they can't hook/hold/slash their way to a win will do at that point? I'm looking at Mich Tech, MSU and JBSU here...

WPoS

agreed.

Altho "justletemplay" has a point, just like football, where every play has holding, one can never have a "pure" game, but these flagrant goons should start getting called onthe carpet (ice). I wonder how certain teams will fare if they can't hook/hold/slash their way to a win will do at that point? I'm looking at Mich Tech, MSU and JBSU here...

WPoS

Thats just it. You have team like MSU-M, SCSU, Wisconsin, MTU, UAA and Denver to a certain degree that can't skate with teams like UND, UofM, CC so they resort to the hooking, slashing, holding... Horrible hockey to watch.