SiouxSports.com Forum

Florida Tournament

UND Fan

I attended all three of UND's games in Fort Myers (FGCU has a beautiful campus and a great BB facility) over the weekend.  Some random thoughts (not necessarily in order of importance):

• We played pretty well other than the first half of the first game - better than we had played in the previous couple of games.
  • We could have/should have won the last game against Campbell.  Pretty much let it slip away but Campbell was a very good team with some great athletes.
  • Rebraca is the real deal.  He played against big men that had the bodies of NBA players.  Rebraca really doesn't have much meat/weight on him but he more than held his own.  He played a ton of minutes over the weekend and you could tell he was running out of gas against Campbell. 
  • Stewart is really good (better than I thought) when he has his head on right and isn't trying to do too much.  He was up against some good-sized, very talented guards but was the best guard on the floor much of the time.
  • As everyone knows, Brown is really struggling and Walter, although he is scoring some, isn't helping much.  His TOs against Campbell really turned the game around.  I am not sure why he handles the ball as much as he does and why he shoots so much.
  • Eikens has a lot of talent but plays pretty passive so far but that will change with more experience and confidence.  
  • Moody hurt his right shoulder in the second game and didn't play much on Sunday.  You could tell he was hurting.  This could be bad news if he takes awhile to heal up.
  • We really had trouble with a full court press in the last two games - a big reason we lost on Sunday.  I am sure they are working on that this week.  
  • We really don't have much talent other than those mentioned above.  G will be good but just isn't ready yet.  I foresee a lot of turnover over the summer.  That won't be much fun for Sather as a lot of these guys are good kids and good students. 
  • Cole Bergan will not be transferring to UND.
  • I like what I am seeing in Sather.  The team seems to be realizing that what he is teaching makes sense.  It will take a year or two for him to get the talent he needs but I expect us to be very competitive soon.  
  • I am afraid we just don't have enough talent to do too well in the Summit this year.  I hope for a .500 season. 
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I attended all three of UND's games in Fort Myers (FGCU has a beautiful campus and a great BB facility) over the weekend.  Some random thoughts (not necessarily in order of importance):

• We played pretty well other than the first half of the first game - better than we had played in the previous couple of games.
  • We could have/should have won the last game against Campbell.  Pretty much let it slip away but Campbell was a very good team with some great athletes.
  • Rebraca is the real deal.  He played against big men that had the bodies of NBA players.  Rebraca really doesn't have much meat/weight on him but he more than held his own.  He played a ton of minutes over the weekend and you could tell he was running out of gas against Campbell. 
  • Stewart is really good (better than I thought) when he has his head on right and isn't trying to do too much.  He was up against some good-sized, very talented guards but was the best guard on the floor much of the time.
  • As everyone knows, Brown is really struggling and Walter, although he is scoring some, isn't helping much.  His TOs against Campbell really turned the game around.  I am not sure why he handles the ball as much as he does and why he shoots so much.
  • Eikens has a lot of talent but plays pretty passive so far but that will change with more experience and confidence.  
  • Moody hurt his right shoulder in the second game and didn't play much on Sunday.  You could tell he was hurting.  This could be bad news if he takes awhile to heal up.
  • We really had trouble with a full court press in the last two games - a big reason we lost on Sunday.  I am sure they are working on that this week.  
  • We really don't have much talent other than those mentioned above.  G will be good but just isn't ready yet.  I foresee a lot of turnover over the summer.  That won't be much fun for Sather as a lot of these guys are good kids and good students. 
  • I like what I am seeing in Sather.  The team seems to be realizing that what he is teaching makes sense.  It will take a year or two for him to get the talent he needs but I expect us to be very competitive soon.  
  • I am afraid we just don't have enough talent to do too well in the Summit this year.  I hope for a .500 season. 

Thoughts on Davids?  

3 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Good kid, works hard but didn't add much.  He is being given the chance to contribute as Panoam wasn't playing well.  

I'm hoping that he can give them something in the 2nd unit in terms of a ballhandler.  From the small sample size I have seen, he has done at least that to where I feel more comfortable watching him run the show verses Panoam. 

22 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm hoping that he can give them something in the 2nd unit in terms of a ballhandler.  From the small sample size I have seen, he has done at least that to where I feel more comfortable watching him run the show verses Panoam. 

I hope so too and agree with your comparison with Panoam.

22 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Great report.

Did you see Gertautas Urbonavicius playing enough to formulate an opinion?

Seems to be developing into another but slightly smaller Rebraca.  Great footwork for a freshman to my eyesight.

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Great report.

Did you see Gertautas Urbonavicius playing enough to formulate an opinion?

Seems to be developing into another but slightly smaller Rebraca.  Great footwork for a freshman to my eyesight.

He didn’t play much - not quite ready yet to go up against other strong bigs.  But I agree - he will be pretty good and may be a contributor by the end of the year.