SiouxSports.com Forum

Nebraska-Omaha's AD resigns

The Sicatoka

An article in the Omaha World-Herald addresses some of the issues to be faced by the new AD:

An NCC/MIAA merger?

(Danenhauer)  I wouldn't be surprised to see a merger. There's been talk about the Northern Sun, but that's not as attractive as getting with Northwest Missouri, Pittsburg State or Central Missouri (in the MIAA). There's been talk about a merger, like the Big 12, with north and south divisions. That would be sweet for us.
On I-AA football:

”If we could go I-AA in football and keep everyone else in Division II, I would be for it," Danenhauer said. "But while I think our football program could play in I-AA, I don't think our other coaches, in wrestling, golf or basketball, would want to play in Division I-A.”

On hockey’s prominence:

Promote hockey over the other Division II sports.  Danenhauer, perhaps as an old-school Division II guy, chose not to do that. But it's time for UNO to separate the two and give its Division I breadwinner its full due.

"Do you take hockey and throw a lot of money at it?" Danenhauer said. "That's the balance you have to have. How would that affect the other sports? We've always marketed hockey, but we choose to do the same for other sports, too.

"The problem is with hockey you are trying to compete with Ohio State and Michigan, and with the others you are trying to beat North Dakota. I think our other coaches understand hockey is different. It's not an easy mix."

Granted, Omaha's in the CCHA, but their eyes still need to be on North Dakota, more than Ohio State. :p

Wrong bisonguy. Georgetown, is able to play division I basketball, while being division III in all other sports. I believe their classification is d-I aaa. The truth is the NCAA currently has a big menu of classifications, mainly to accomidate the basketball tournament, i.e. t.v. monies.

Wrong pirate.

Do you mean the Georgetown that competes in DI-AA football in the Patriot League and is a member of the Big East(DI) for their other sports? There is a DI-AAA, that means they don't have a football team. The only subclassifications in DI is in football (I-A 85 scholies, I-AA 63 scholies, I-AAA no football program). An NCAA school cannot have a DI football, basketball, or baseball team (major sports) without having their entire program DI. All other sports are considered minor sports and allow DII or DIII schools to participate at the DI level without having a DI program.

You could be DIII with a DI BB team back in the early 90's (92 was the last year, I believe) and Gerogetown was one of them. They have played DI-AA football and had to field a DI program since 1993.

Bisonguy, The issue wasn't Georgetown, who up untill 10 years ago WAS division I-AAA.(and i'm sure has spent those past 10 years ramping up scholarships, etc. to D-IAA standards to play games in 2,500 seat Harbin Stadium.) The issue for me, was that the NCAA does have subclasifications for sports, other than Hockey. As you stated, an institution can be D-I without having football ala Georgetown 10 years ago. An institution can have football without giving scholarships, ala Valporaiso. Who knows, the NCAA may decide to make another menu item to include DI-AA only.

Pirate, Georgetown up until 1993 was a DIII school that had a DI basketball team. They were never DI-AAA in football. In 1993 they could no longer have a DI basketball team without having all other sports DI.

Schools like Valpo are part of the reason why I-AA will not become an a la cart item.It's there so schools CAN be DI with football or without having a $20 million football budget.

Georgetown might be "non-scholarship", but some of the Patriot League members are a lot closer to being fully funded than not. Colgate, for example, funds the equivalent of 56 scholarships.

btw- Gonzaga would be an example of DI-AAA

Bisonguy, Whatever Georgetown or Gonzaga are or have been in regard to a D-I classification, D-I has more subclassifications for eligibility to the "Big Dance" and that is what is currently driving most D-I members. If I were a Bison fan, I would be a little p. o.ed at watching a school like Gonzaga, Georgetown or SDSU for that matter, getting into D-I with little or no investment into there f.b. programs while NDSU, it's fans and community, have spent so much in the past. The only sense I can see for a school like UND, is for the NCAA to create a D-IAA in all sports, the old big college/little college, of 30 years ago. By the way, my understanding of the D-IAAA classification is that the school is D-I in all sports but does not have football in any form.

Football is the only DI sport with a I-A subclassification. All other sports are DI. His knowledge of DI athletics is nearly as limited as RT's...

I think it's possible, in fact likely, that Danenhaur worded his statement so as to emphasize the fact that all other sports would be competing at the highest level of competition in the NCAA, knowing full well that what he said was not strictly correct.

Nice gratuitous shot at RT by the way. Do you hate him because he turned around UND's long losing streak against 'SU? RT has been nothing but a class act to friend and foe alike during his tenure as UND's head football coach and AD. Save your snide remarks for those that deserve it.

I don't hate RT, and he's a very good AD. He just doesn't know everything about the NCAA DI handbook.

Football is the only DI sport with a I-A subclassification. All other sports are DI. His knowledge of DI athletics is nearly as limited as RT's...  :p

There, does that make it better? Sorry for not including a smilie in the original.

I think it's possible, in fact likely, that Danenhaur worded his statement so as to emphasize the fact that all other sports would be competing at the highest level of competition in the NCAA, knowing full well that what he said was not strictly correct.

That was my point as well.

Yes, being a DI-AA your football team battles against Marist and Elon for an NCAA at-large birth,

but,

your basketball teams battle against UConn for an NCAA at-large birth,

your swimming teams battle against Stanford for an NCAA at-large birth,

your baseball team battles against Texas for an NCAA at-large birth,

your wrestling team battles against Iowa for an NCAA at-large birth,

et cetera (you get the point).

That was clearly Danenhauer's point as well.

PS - I puposely avoided adding

"your mens ice hockey team battles against North Dakota for an NCAA at-large birth"

to the above. :ohmy::p