SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike Marcil Resigns

bisonguy

Good news from what I hear. I've heard he's a no personality person. What has he done for the league? Being commish of a conference has to be the easiest job in the world.

In the last year or so, UNC (football) and UND both played ineligible players and nothing happened. The league could've down something (sorry UND fans, Myron Allen). Also, how does Tommie King get another year to play last season (not saying it's Marcil's fault) but questions have to be raised.

Going to the Sunshine State Conference is certainly interesting. On the surface, it doesn't seem like an obvious move up. However, you never know what personal reasons people have for taking/leaving various jobs.

One could postulate a lot of negatives behind this -- are there people behind the scenes unhappy with the decline in NCC membership/talent? Does he think he sees the writing on the wall of more/worse changes ahead (whither the NCC with one or two more defections)?

Overall, from the little bit I notice a conference commissioner, he seems to have done a decent job at being the face of the NCC. I remember quite a few proposals and initiatives on his part to try to raise the stature and visibility of D2 at the NCAA. As the press release mentioned, a conference basketball tournament is certainly a big step for a conference in visibility and revenue.

The new commissioner is sure going to have an interesting job ahead of him.

Upon further investigation- it appears Marcil's move to the SSC is an upgrade (besides temperature, sunshine, and all the perks of Florida). The SSC doesn't sponsor football, but the schools have a combined 52 DII national championships in all sports (men's and womens'). The current membership of the NCC has a combined 14 DII national championships, whereas the "old" membership of the NCC (two years ago) had 41 DII national championships.

Maybe he saw writing on the wall, maybe he wanted warmer temps. :)

The current membership of the NCC has a combined 14 DII national championships, whereas the "old" membership of the NCC (two years ago) had 41 DII national championships.

I would be cautious using claims like "old NCC" and "new NCC" when counting championships. The success of some teams in the NCC inherently creates lack of success for others due to the nature of scheduling. The top teams in the conference had their records hurt by playing each other in the regular season and having to face each other in regional tournaments. There's no way to know how many NCAA championships the "new NCC" would have if NDSU had never been a conference member; though it seems quite likely that 14 is a floor, not a ceiling.

More to the point, I consider not having football to be a huge detriment to the prestige of a conference. It is indisputably the most popular college sport. I think a school with 10 football championships is much more visible as a strong athletics school than a school with 30 championships in track, swimming, and wrestling. Anyone can feel free to point out how many of SSC's championships were in basketball (the other highly visible sport), since I'm too lazy to research it myself.

I'm still not convinced at SSC being an upgrade (except for in terms of weather, which is indisputable).

Upon further investigation- it appears Marcil's move to the SSC is an upgrade (besides temperature, sunshine, and all the perks of Florida). The SSC doesn't sponsor football, but the schools have a combined 52 DII national championships in all sports (men's and womens'). The current membership of the NCC has a combined 14 DII national championships, whereas the "old" membership of the NCC (two years ago) had 41 DII national championships.

Maybe he saw writing on the wall, maybe he wanted warmer temps.  :)

It's probably not much of a surprise that schools in Florida will do well in sports like golf, tennis, baseball and soccer. Weather is a huge factor in being good at certain sports. However, as we all know, a school is not going to get as much notoriety for winning titles in tennis, golf, soccer or even baseball compared to football or basketball. And aside from one title in men's basketball, the Sunshine State has not done well in the sports most people deem the most important. That's probably why the Sunshine State never seems to come up in discussions regarding which dII conference is considered the best, regardless of how many titles they've won in tennis, golf, soccer and baseball. A conference without football, particularly one that is not even very good in basketball, is probably never going to be considered a strong one overall.

I would guess the bottom line was the bottom line - he will likely make more $ while living in a southern state with better weather. If he wants to continue moving up the ladder to a DI conference, having led more than one conference looks good on a resume.