SiouxSports.com Forum

Lindy's preseason look at d2

bigmrg74

I'm kinda surprized that none of you D2 fallowers haven't put this up yet. Time for Y'all to get on the ball here. :D:p

Division II Top 25

1. Grand Valley St

2. Valdosta St

3. Delta St

4. Carson Newman

5. Catawba

6. Pittsburg St

7. Indiana (Pa)

8. Central Missouri

9. Texas A&M Kingsville

10. North Dakota

11. Nebraska-Kearney

12. Southern Arkansas

13. Saginaw Valley

14. Edinboro

15. Narth Alabama

16. Northwest Missouri St

17. Mesa St

18. Central Oklahoma

19. Tarleton St

20. Bentley

21. Chadron St

22. Nebraska-Omaha

23. Emporia St

24. Winona St

25. Tusculum

I no ill will against these guys for where they put GVSU at. But, I thought you guys might have some opinions about them putting UND at the Ten spot, and putting 4 southern teams in the top five.

I'm kinda surprized that none of you D2 fallowers haven't put this up yet.  Time for Y'all to get on the ball here.  :D  :p

I no ill will against these guys for where they put GVSU at. But, I thought you guys might have some opinions about them putting UND at the Ten spot, and putting 4 southern teams in the top five.

I think most of us are used to not getting much love from pollsters, so not very many UND fans will get very worked up over a perceived slight like this. With that being said, all you can do is laugh at any poll that has Nebraska-Kearney as high as 11.

While I agree that UND's defense will be "salty" this year, I have heard great things about Delta and their offense. I realize some sarcasm was in place for your comment, but for anyone to say that they expect UND to shut them out, is not being realistic. Sounds like they have a big, physical receiver that could be a possible NFL prospect, as well as a solid returning starting QB, and a stable of good running backs. Also, I heard that their defense is very strong as well. Film has already been looked at by the UND staff for the first game, and all indications are that they will definitely have their hands full with this team. You also have to keep in mind that this program won a national championship in 2000, and are probably beginning to reap the benefits of the recruiting classes from the years following the title run. Those recruiting classes from 2001 and 2002 are getting older and more mature. It's always easier to recruit the best kids when you win a championship. Look for a tough, close game at The Alerus on August 28th. Wow, that's only a month and a half away.

GO SIOUX!!!

The UND -Delta State game should be an interesting matchup. Delta State was an option team when NDSU faced them in 2000. Now, it seems they have taken to the air. I remember they had a rather unorthodox defense with DT's or DE's that were in the 200 lb. range.

In 2000 Delta State had extremely small linebackers. They ran a 3-4 and one of the inside linebackers was about 190, and they had an outside lb that was in the 165 range. But they also had a noseguard that was about 330. I think now their coaching staff is much different, so I they may look quite different. It should be a great matchup.

Delta State now runs a 3-3-5, the same as North Alabama does. They had a pretty good defense last year, but they lost 6 starters including NT Anthony Maddox, who was a 4th round pick in the NFL this spring. Maddox was far and away their leading tackler last year from the NT position! The loss of a player that dominant in the middle of the DSU's defense is going to leave some question marks and put more pressure on the rest of the players this year.

On offense, DSU lost their top two RBs and a couple of offensive linemen. Other than that, the rest of the offense returns. DSU averaged around 530 yards and 45 points per game last year in a top D2 league so the Sioux defense will have their hands full. The QB and top WR are both underclassmen, so obviously they are very talented players. The one nice thing for the Sioux defense is that they saw (and beat) all three Harlon Hill finalists last year, so they will have an idea of the kind of effort it will take to get the job done and won't fall apart if things don't go their way (Central Washington 2002).

All and all, it should be a great matchup. A much more exciting opener than Crookston. :0

On offense, DSU lost their top two RBs and a couple of offensive linemen. Other than that, the rest of the offense returns. DSU averaged around 530 yards and 45 points per game last year in a top D2 league so the Sioux defense will have their hands full. The QB and top WR are both underclassmen, so obviously they are very talented players. The one nice thing for the Sioux defense is that they saw (and beat) all three Harlon Hill finalists last year, so they will have an idea of the kind of effort it will take to get the job done and won't fall apart if things don't go their way (Central Washington 2002).

All and all, it should be a great matchup. A much more exciting opener than Crookston. :0

No question, this should be a great game and a big test for the Sioux. Delta St.'s offensive numbers sound very similar to what North Alabama brought to town last fall, in terms of yards and points, and the Sioux defense held them in check for the most part so I'm fairly optimistic that they can do the same to Delta if the defense plays up to its capabilities. While I won't go so far as to say Delta's players will be intimidated playing indoors, on turf in front of a hopefully large and loud crowd, I do think the unfamiliarity with the atmosphere and turf will help the Sioux, just as it has done in most of the home playoff games so far in the Alerus. It's also happened a number of times to pretty strong (on paper) out-of-region teams playing NDSU in the Fargodome early in the year.