SiouxSports.com Forum

Is there a dress code?

Fran

:)

I am totally at sea, as usual. Does the University of North Dakota have a dress code like some universities do? I have been told that Midwest USA is more strict regarding what one might wear, ulike the south. What do people normally wear on the premisses?

Appreciate any hints. Thank you.

Francoise, please excuse the delay in answering your question. It probably confused the others as much as it confused me. I guess we must all expect everybody to know that US students dress very casually. Then I looked at your profile and saw that you live in France. (aha!)

No, there is no dress code at the University of North Dakota or any other public university I know of. In general, American students are very casual in their dress - and on the Plains, people of all ages (not just students) are extremely casual in their clothing choices (meaning blue jeans and a shirt).

In my experience at North Dakota State (not quite the same place as UND), people almost uniformly wore blue jeans and sweatshirts except on those days it was warm enough for shorts and/or a t-shirt (and about 90% of the guys wear baseball caps too). Women's dress tends to vary a little bit more, but basically they wear the same things as guys (just that their jeans are less baggy and they tend not to wear baseball caps). I've never noticed that UND students dressed any differently.

UND's website has some photos of the campus showing students. I think you'll see that almost everybody is wearing blue jeans (or shorts) and either t-shirts or sweatshirts.

Here's one example from UND's website: Student Life

Baggy sweatshirt , sweatpants, a baseball cap to cover messy hair is pretty standard after a long night of partying. (that is if youget up to go toclass!!!) ;);)

The only formal requirement is that if you get caught in public naked below the waist, you might get arrested, especially in winter. :)

That said, since how you dress tends to reflect on you as a person, dress how you feel comfortable. Midwestern and west coast students tend to be more casual about their everyday clothing choices. My experience on campus in the south such as UVA, Emory, Texas and Vanderbilt, shows that many students do dress better than their midwestern counterparts, so Lacoste, Ralph Lauren, etc. brands are pretty common.

Thank you, tony, U2B1 and ScottM. I guess this was a naive question but I have never had the pleasure of a visit before.

You've been so kind with your helpful information. :)

I hope you are having a Happy Fourth of July!