SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-2, 7-9) vs Omaha (2-1, 8-8) 1/10 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

UND finally got their first win in conference play as they just destroyed a struggling DU team.  UND will now start a 3 game homestand, starting with I-29 and old NCC rival... OMAHA! OMAMA!

About Omaha:

The Mavericks are led by long time coach Derrin Hansen, who in now in his 14th season.  He currently has an overall record of 214-196 record.  Since moving to the Summit, he has an overall record of 93-110 and is 41-54 in the Summit.  Picked 8th in the Preseason, Omaha has gotten off to a nice start with wins over DU and NDSU at home.

When I look at Omaha, I see a number of things.  First of all:  They have a very balanced starting lineup.  All 5 starters in their lineup are averaging double figures in scoring.  Secondly:  This is a team that can score in bunches and can shoot the 3 ball very well.  In the 3 games so far in Summit play, the Mavericks are averaging  44% from 3 as a team... not too shabby.   However... they also give up a lot of points and are not the best rebounders.  Lastly, while their starters are pretty solid.. the bench lacks a serious 6th man.  If Omaha wants to make a surprise run this year, they need to develop a bench

Key Player: JT Gibson (6'3 Junior)

I could have chosen any of the Maverick players to fill this spot but went ahead and chose the Junior from Brooklyn Park, MN.  This guy is going to do most of his damage from behind the arc and he is very good at it (42% clip, good enough to be in the top ten in the Summit in that category).  Can get a few assists and rebounds from time to time but UND cannot afford this guy to get into rhythm early. 

UND Keys to the game:

1) Keep the Omaha shooters out of rhythm 

2) Dominate the boards

3) Make enough outside shots

4) Win the bench points

Other Summit Games:

ORU (3-0) @ Fort Wayne (3-0)

-Battle for first place in Fort Wayne, Can the Dons protect home court? Or will the Golden Eagles continue their surprised early start to the season.

DU (0-4) @ SDSU (2-1)

-SDSU took out archrival USD and DU continues to slump after the doors got blown off against UND.  Can SDSU continue DU's woes?

WIU (1-2) @ NDSU (1-2)

Both teams looking to get back to .500 and establish themselves in the middle of the pack.  

The Call:

UND needs to look at this stretch of games as an opportunity.  They blasted a conference opponent and looked good in doing it.  Now they need to build off of that performance.  Omaha is going to get points and has the feel of a track meet.  I don't think UND can win that way.  I think UND gets enough shooting and slows Omaha done enough to get the win

UND 81-74