SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux Teams?

PCM

Statistics don't always tell the story, but I thought it would be interesting to compare selected Sioux teams from the past with recent Blais-coached teams. Don't take these stats as gospel because I didn't check them for 100 percent accuracy. They're probably not far off, however.

best_und.jpg

GF = Goals For; GA = Goals Against; GFA = Goals For Average; GAA = Goals Against Average; Margin = Average Margin of Victory

Based on these stats, the most dominating Sioux teams ever were 79-80, 86-87 and 98-99. The 98-99 team might be the best UND team to never win a national championship.

The 81-82 and 96-97 teams were the least dominant Sioux teams to win NCAA championships. The 00-01 team, which played for the national championship and lost to BC 3-2 in overtime, was one of the most overachieving Sioux teams.

The 03-04 Sioux team of this past season compares very favorably to the 99-00 team that won the national championship. It had a better margin of victory than three UND teams that won national titles.

Some might find it surprising that the 03-04 Sioux team tied with the 99-00 team for the best goals against average. Not bad for a team with "sub par" goaltending. ;)

Comments?

Now I'm adding fuel to the fire. ;)

When I said in another thread on this board that the 03-04 Sioux team was one of the best from UND to never win a national championship, I left out some important context.

I should have said that in relation to the competion the Sioux faced in the NCAA tournament, they stood a very good chance of bringing home a national title. Here's why.

top_8_04.jpg

GF = Goals For; GA = Goals Against; GFA = Goals For Average; GAA = Goals Against Average; Margin = Average Margin of Victory

Obviously, national titles are awarded based on who makes it to the Frozen Four and who wins it, not on stats. But the stats show that this past season's Sioux team was the best balanced teams offensively and defensively in the nation, despite playing one of the toughest schedules.

For UND fans, that probably makes the way the season ended that much harder to take.

Some might find it surprising that the 03-04 Sioux team tied with the 99-00 team for the best goals against average. Not bad for a team with "sub par" goaltending. ;)

I wouldn't have believed it if I heard it on the street... good info.

How would the '79 UND team compare? That was one hell of of a team.

Ask and you shall receive. :( The first chart has been updated to include stats for the 78-79 Sioux team, which was an offensive juggernaut, but not a good defensive team.

The team names on the second chart have now been color coded. Talk about customer service... ;)

The 1987 and 2004 teams each outscored their opponents .... by more than they allowed the opponents to score!

One team did it with offense. The other team did it with defense.

Ask and you shall receive. ;) The first chart has been updated to include stats for the 78-79 Sioux team, which was an offensive juggernaut, but not a good defensive team.

The team names on the second chart have now been color coded. Talk about customer service... ;)

Thanks, PCM. I just like bring up the '79 team lost in the finals. ;);) As Billy Christian said about Herb Brooks just after the Olympics (paraphrased), in the past year coach Brooks and I have been involved in two of the biggest upsets in hockey. :(

They were an amazing offensive team. That whole era from the early to mid-70s through the mid to late-80s was very offensive.

That whole era from the early to mid-70s through the mid to late-80s was very offensive.

I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it came out. ;)

I never got to see any of the great Gasparini teams, but the stats indicate that they were very offense-oriented. Who needs great defense when your team averages around 5 goals a game or better?

I was somewhat surprised by the stats for the 96-97 Sioux. They weren't as potent offensively as I remembered. But that could have something to do with the fact that they scored 6 goals in each of their last three games that season. The team's goals against average was also higher than I expected.

The '98 team was very good and the '99 team was even better. Either of those teams could have won it all.

The 99-00 team was an unexpected surprise in a rebuilding year. They were a great combination of size and speed that excelled on offense and defense. The freshman class of Bayda, Roche, Spiewak, Notermann, Skarperud, Ryan Hale and Leinweber all contributed.

That the 00-01 Sioux made it back to the Frozen Four was a testament to those players' grit and determination. Panzer, Roche, Goehring, Bayda and Bryan Lundbohm practically carried that team on their backs. I'll always remember them as the team that wouldn't quit.

I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it came out. ;)

I never got to see any of the great Gasparini teams, but the stats indicate that they were very offense-oriented. Who needs great defense when your team averages around 5 goals a game or better?

I was somewhat surprised by the stats for the 96-97 Sioux. They weren't as potent offensively as I remembered. But that could have something to do with the fact that they scored 6 goals in each of their last three games that season. The team's goals against average was also higher than I expected.

The '98 team was very good and the '99 team was even better. Either of those teams could have won it all.

The 99-00 team was an unexpected surprise in a rebuilding year. They were a great combination of size and speed that excelled on offense and defense. The freshman class of Bayda, Roche, Spiewak, Notermann, Skarperud, Ryan Hale and Leinweber all contributed.

That the 00-01 Sioux made it back to the Frozen Four was a testament to those players' grit and determination. Panzer, Roche, Goehring, Bayda and Bryan Lundbohm practically carried that team on their backs. I'll always remember them as the team that wouldn't quit.

Yeah, you could definitely say they were determined.

I agree completely...that team just wouldn't go away. They liked to play in OT quite a bit though

I agree completely...that team just wouldn't go away.  They liked to play in OT quite a bit though

The 00-01 Sioux played 11 games that went into OT that season, winning one at CC, losing two and tying nine. The two they lost were the WCHA Final Five championship against SCSU and the national championship against BC.

I remember thinking during the regular season that it would be great if UND won some of those OT games because the experience might be valuable during the playoffs.

Where did you get the stats PCM and are Gophers stats at the same place? I'm guessing the late either the '75, '81, were the "best" Gopher teams to fail to claim the title. The '88 or '89 teams were awfully good as well.

I tend to agree that last years UND team was seemed a sure bet to win it, but it didn't shock me as much as when the '99 UND team lost.

Even after the Final Five, I didn't think the Gophers would win the NCAA's until UND got beat. Of course that feeling lasted only about 12 hrs.