SiouxSports.com Forum

World Juniors?

Ruffian

With an impending lockout in the NHL I am looking for alternatives for my hockey fix. I heard that ticket strips for the World Juniors had been sold. Does anyone know if single game tickets are being sold? If so, are there any still available?

What does the hotel occupancy in GF look like for that time period now? When I checked for hotels at the World Junior site I was given information for Thief River Falls. Not sure if that means the hotels are already booked or if it means TRF paid a bit more for people to be directed to them first. Is this a viable alternative to GF?

Any information would be appreciated. I'd probably only be out that way for the last few days of the tournament before heading further west to ski.

Thanks!

Ruffian

hey Ruffian,

You might also try some of the smaller towns near GF and TRF for accomodations...Grafton (40 mi.) and Hillsboro or Mayville (also about 40 mi.) in North Dakota or if you want to be centrally located between GF and TRF you might try Crookston, MN. (25 mi.) - They all have small Super 8 or AmericInn type motels that might be available for less than the gouging prices you'll see around here for the Jr's....you won't find them on expedia or travelocity but if you dig a bit - I bet you can find a place near GF for less than $50 a night...which will be cheaper even with $2.00 a gallon gas....some small advice from a local....

If you have a partner(s?) to travel with, the Destiny Tour packages out of Winnipeg are a decent deal. Options of portions of the tourney as well as the whole thing. There are also some partial game(s) packages available there.

Game Tickets Only: (Corner upper bowl seats, no hotel)

December 25-27: CDN $195 (currently 142 US)

(SVK-CAN, RUS-USA, SUI-BLR, CAN-SWE, USA-SUI)

December 28-30: CDN $195

(GER-CAN, CZE-SUI, BLR-USA, CAN-FIN, USA-CZE)

January 1-4: CDN $335 (244 US)

6 Medal Round Games

(add 2.4% if paying by credit card)

May be better off buying a whole package from the REA and selling games that you can't be at to recoup some of the $.

Does anyone know if they games are going to be on TV or not?

Canada has not yet posted a TV schedule, will be interesting to see if any US stations (ESPN?) picks up any games, since the NHL may (probably) won't be playing any hockey.

No doubt TSN will broadcast games again, but what will happen to the directtv Center Ice package if there is no NHL?

Nothing yet on USA site, guess we'll be waiting until late this year to know anything about TV.

BTW, Brent Sutter (Red Deer Rebels) has been named coach of Team Canada.

hey Ruffian,

You might also try some of the smaller towns near GF and TRF for accomodations...Grafton (40 mi.) and Hillsboro or Mayville (also about 40 mi.) in North Dakota or if you want to be centrally located between GF and TRF you might try Crookston, MN. (25 mi.) - They all have small Super 8 or AmericInn type motels that might be available for less than the gouging prices you'll see around here for the Jr's....you won't find them on expedia or travelocity but if you dig a bit - I bet you can find a place near GF for less than $50 a night...which will be cheaper even with $2.00 a gallon gas....some small advice from a local....

In fact, if you google to motels in those cities, you'll find AmericInn's in Grafton and Crookston (forget Grafton, price comes up at 180/night ;) ), Super 8's in Crookston, Grafton, and Mayville, etc, etc. Lots of choices, and looks like rooms could be booked at any right now for any of the World Junior dates, except during the medal round, which appears to be filled both in and near GF.

• 2 weeks later...

The roster has posted for the Team USA Evaluation Camp:

http://www.usahockey.com/servlets/FileServ...rCampRoster.pdf

Plenty of Badgers on the list.

Here is the list of invitees to the Canadian Camp (sorry, no link):

Goalies

Ryan Munce - 1985

Kevin Nastiuk - 1985

Martin Houle - 1985

Devan Dubnyk - 1986

Defensemen

Dion Phaneuf - 1985

Braydon Coburn - 1985

Brent Seabrooke - 1985

Shawn Belle - 1985

Paul Bissonette - 1985

Mike Green - 1985

Shea Weber - 1985

Cam Barker - 1986

Alexandre Picard - 1985

Wes O'Neill - 1986

Jeff Schultz - 1986

Kyle Wharton - 1986

Jonathon Sigalet - 1986

Forwards

Jeff Carter - 1985

Anthony Stewart - 1985

Nigel Dawes - 1985

Ryan Getzlaf - 1985

Mike Richards - 1985

Jeremy Colliton - 1985

Stephen Dixon - 1985

Sidney Crosby - 1987

Steve Bernier - 1985

MA Pouliot - 1985

Corey Perry - 1985

Stefan Meyer - 1985

Colin Fraser - 1985

Eric Fehr - 1985

Clarke MaCarthur - 1985

Chad Klassen - 1985

Andrew Ladd - 1985

Wojtek Wolski - 1986

Dany Roussin - 1985

Benoit Mondou - 1985

Alexandre Picard - 1985

Kyle Chipchura - 1986

Travis Zajac - 1985

David Bolland - 1986

Players in NHL

Patrice Bergeron - 1985

Nathan Horton - 1985

Brent Burns - 1985

• 2 weeks later...

Canada has not yet posted a TV schedule, will be interesting to see if any US stations (ESPN?) picks up any games, since the NHL may (probably) won't be playing any hockey.

No doubt TSN will broadcast games again, but what will happen to the directtv Center Ice package if there is no NHL?

Nothing yet on USA site, guess we'll be waiting until late this year to know anything about TV.

BTW, Brent Sutter (Red Deer Rebels) has been named coach of Team Canada.

I wonder if FSSN will cover the games or not?

It would be nice if they did.