SiouxSports.com Forum

Alan Sundby

The Sicatoka

From the Fargo Forum, Monday, May 17, 2004:

Moorhead police are asking for the public's help in investigating a Sunday morning hit-and-run.

At approximately 1:40 a.m. Alan Sundby of Cavalier, N.D., was hit by an unidentified vehicle in the 2500 block of 11th Street North.

The 19-year-old was taken to MeritCare Hospital in Fargo. Police reported that "his injuries do not appear to be life threatening." A MeritCare nurse said the family requested no information be released.

Police ask that anyone with information on the identity of the vehicle or its driver call (701) 451-7660.

Please don't tell me that Alan Sundby is this Alan Sundby.

I can only assume that the odds of there being two 19-year-old Alan Sundby's from Cavalier are pretty staggering. I heard this on the news last night in a half-awake state and I had really hoped that I simply heard the name wrong. We can only hope and pray that he's going to be alright.

• 2 weeks later...

Brady Trenbeath pitched for the Cavalier baseball team today (May 26). He went seven innings, struck out 8, walked 9 and got the win 10-7. He wore a brace that immobilizes the neck (called an Aspen Brace). Had some trouble with command of his pitches but threw the whole variety. He wants to play for the Sioux next Spring.

Brady Trenbeath pitched for the Cavalier baseball team today (May 26). He went seven innings, struck out 8, walked 9 and got the win 10-7. He wore a brace that immobilizes the neck (called an Aspen Brace). Had some trouble with command of his pitches but threw the whole variety. He wants to play for the Sioux next Spring.

wow, talk about a kid who doesn't mind playing injured. Amazing

That is great news about Trenbeath - amazing is the proper word for it!

The comment about playing for the Sioux next spring. I assume that we are talking about baseball. Is there any hope that he could play football again? I didn't know if this meant that he felt he could be ready for spring football next year after sitting out this fall.

My understanding is that Brady fully intends to play football, but will probably not be ready for this Fall. It will be another 9 -10 weeks before he can go without the brace and who knows how long before contact would be allowable. The report from his doctors is that the healing is going perfectly at this point and Coach Lennon has committed to holding his scholarship until the final decision on football is made.

What are the nature of Sundby's injuries (or do he and his family want that withheld)?

"Word on the street in Cavalier" is that Sundby's leg is pretty bad, possible career ending. His sister lives in Moorhead, and there was a party, and he ended up walking down the street where he was hit. Maybe Northcountry guy has more details.

Alan was attending a groom's supper for his future brother-in-law and was crossing a street with a group of people when he was struck by a speeding car. One of the witnesses to the hit and run was his father, who was part of the group.

Alan's leg (tibia) was broken just below the knee and was repaired by placing a rod in the bone. He is in a plastic brace and is engaged in physical therapy and according to Alan, he plans to play football when the healing is complete. He said the doctors told him that the rod would be removed in 9 - 10 months, so it will be a long process. He says the doctors told him there was no reason he could not play football again.