SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring FB Updates

fightin'su

Anyone have any updates on how spring practices are going thus far? Anyone looking really good, injuries, position changes, etc? How do the new/changed coaches seem to be working out? What 2's or 3's from last year could possibly beat out last years starters? I like to hear about actual FB and not NDS-f**king-U.

From what I hear, spring practices are going very well. Though the depth chart hasnt changed yet from the season, I do know things are very intense..Dan Ullsperbeger and Nordick are fighting it out for the starting will spot. Im pretty sure Jamaal Franklin will be starting. Im not sure if Brandon Strouth will beat out Adam Roland, they have two different styles....I guess we will see. Im very interested to see how the WR situation shakes out...Jeff Webber, and Josh Ranson add an interesting wrinkle to the depth chart. And at the outside spot...it should be interesting to see With Dahlen the starter and Hermes a senior , and Babington-Johson it will be interesting, and on the opposite side I see Steve Brennan and Brook Maier fighting it out. SHould be fun...first scrimmage is wednesday...

anyone hear anything about Rizah (sp?) Mahmoud coming back??...last fall Dale said he had "academic issues" but he was supposedly still in school, eligible for track this spring (haven't confirmed that) and was hoping to get his ducks in a row to go back out for FB....anything there?

I was at a practice this week and the boys looked good. I think Belmore will be the QB to beat after Bo. He is an athletic kid with lots potential. The O-Line struggled a little but they'll improve with some experience. The defense has a lot of talent so there are going to be some good players on the sideline. The outside linebacker positions are stacked, hopefully those players can keep their egos in check and allow for proper substitution. For all fans of the much debated "bubble screens" I did see some tunnel screens and some other high percentage throws. If you need an explanation of the differences I can explain in a future post. Riza is history.

There has been a lot of speculation about his behavior. It's probably one of those things to just forget about. If Lennon let him go it must be for a reason. Lennon will never disclose the information, he wouldn't want to damage the kid any more. Although Riza's departure hurt initially, in the long run the Sioux are better off. I think we all know from our observations what happens when a program (I won't say what program) lets a player's poor behavior go unpunished.