SiouxSports.com Forum

Freshman Class-WCHA Part 5

sprig

In reguards to what Schimdt Doggy dog said, I can say that in knowing Palmo over the past couple of years that if he says that Parise is that good, he probably is telling the truth. Tyler is a stand up guy. But after reading all of the hype that was put on this guy he was compared to Theo Flury and he is pretty damn good. You don't get those types of comparisons by being marginal. I think he will be as good as Vanek.

I must also say that I am very happy to have Cannady on the team. I like what this guy brings to the table. I don't care if the gopher fans think he is a hack he is not. If you guys remember the game against the gophers last March after Brian got hurt in the game against the gophers, Wooger mentioned that Brian is one tough cookie and to get him off the ice. Woog went on to marvel on the way Cannady plays. I am excited to see what kind of game Brian brings to the table this season. I pitty the teams that play UND this year.

Hey, thanks for saying nice things about Brian. :-) I know he takes some heat regarding "dirty play". I like to think of it as, "intense play". If you watch him play, his shift always comes with great intensity. He shares his philosophy with younger players as, "never let anyone out work you on the ice". Any player who plays with great intensity will be called for stick infractions, etc. Off the ice, he is one heck of a great kid. You guys would like him. :D He loves fishing, his family and fishing. :0 Just ask him! He plays the EXACT game Blais tells him to play. He is the Sioux the other teams love to hate. Oh well! He has showed up for this season in tip-top shape and is a leader in this years Iron Man competition. Nobody is harder on his game than himself. Nobody loves him more than we do (can you tell?). We are his greatest fans. BTW, Coach Blais appreciates his "intensity" (except at the end of the period... Yikes!). Okay... I'm sure your sick of hearing all this... I'll get off my soap box.

Thanks for listening. ;)

Based on Sockeye's statement, my horse came in. :D

There's nothing wrong with being a proud parent, especially of kids who are successful in their endeavors or who know when to follow and when to lead. They must have learned that from someone who's pretty smart as well, yes? :0

And you mean someone has a shot at knocking off the two-time defending IronMan champion Ryan Sofie?

I'm another regular visitor to this great website who wants to say "thanks" to the parents who toss us tidbits. It is a pleasure to hear what the players are saying/thinking/doing about the upcoming season.

As a fan who no longer lives in Grand Forks, but watched about 20 years of live hockey games before leaving, this site helps me feel closer to the team I'll always root for. Thanks again and keep the posts coming.

SockeyeSioux, I had the pleasure of interviewing Brian after one of the Sioux home games. He struck me as a very intelligent, articulate young man. I could see why Dean Blais considers him a future Sioux captain.

Thanks for sharing your insights and knowledge with us.

And you mean someone has a shot at knocking off the two-time defending IronMan champion Ryan Sofie?

There are several players running neck and neck for the IronMan champioship. Ryan hasn't been beat in the running events in three years. I think Brian has won all the running events except the mile run. That race they put all the sophs in one group and all other players in another. I think Ryan ran the mile in something like 5:20 and Brian ran it in 5:22. The two boys stay on eachothers heals. Jones is a powerhouse lifter. And I think Brian said Spiewack lifted a lot too. I can't really remember... (dont quote me :D ) Anyway, it is a tight competition this year. Good for the kids. They ran the 3 mile yesterday and I think they hit the 10K today. Sofie led the race yesterday for the first 2 miles. Brian follwed and passed him in the last mile. They had a real sprint to the finish line. Brian just had a little more left in his legs than Ryan. The boys are having fun. The Sioux's new strength and conditioning coach (I think he was the assistant S and G last year) is really working the team hard. Blais is on a war path watching for "slackers" and is riding these boys like race horses. The new assistant strength and conditioning coach is Scott Koberinski. You guys remember him? He is a former Sioux Champion and USHL coach of the Waterloo Blackhawks of the USHL. Regarding the "slackers"... I dont think there are any. It's going to be a great season for the Sioux.

The new assistant strength and conditioning coach is Scott Koberinski.  You guys remember him?  He is a former Sioux Champion and USHL coach of the Waterloo Blackhawks of the USHL.  Regarding the "slackers"...  I dont think there are any.   It's going to be a great season for the Sioux.

From the Hrkac Crkac days. Played on a line with Nakonechny and (I don't remember). Least I think that's right. May have to watch the tape again.

Sounds like every thing we've heard about the players working their tails off is true. Can't wait.

So this is where Koberinski landed after being let go in Waterloo. Not bad.

Kober was there for The Circus in '87, but I remember Kober best as the center of the "Uke Line" a year (or was it two) later. All three guys were of Ukrainian heritage and from the same area of western Canada.

Grant Paranica

Scott Koberinski

Russ Romaniuk

I think Tim Hennessy deserved combat pay for trying to broadcast when those three names were on the ice. :D