SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's defense - giants among us

jk

It's possible that in 2003-04 UND will have four future NHL defensemen on the blueline.  Obviously a lot of big defensemen drafted in the first three rounds don't develop and don't make the NHL, so it is perhaps not likely, but it's definitely in the realm of reasonable possibility.  Hale, Jones, Greene and Smaby are all big, tough and apparently pretty highly thought of.  Of course, I've only seen two of them play, so I'm going completely on what I've heard and read.

Personally, I think Hale will be in the AHL in 03-04, having signed professionally after an outstanding junior season.

In addition to those four giants, UND will also have four local boys, Schneider, Fuher, Marvin and Dahlen, at least one of whom is apparently on the brink of stardom.  Of the others, we know that Schneider and Fuher have the makings of good to very good college defensemen.  Marvin I haven't seen and don't know much about.

One thing we should all be prepared for in the next three or four years is a run of early departures for the pros, and not just from the defense.  This kind of talent just doesn't stay around for four years.

(ps.  Just having fun about Dahlen.  I hope he does well.)

I never thought I'd say this, but kids leaving early for the pro's will be a good thing.  A good thing because it means they played up to their potential.  A good thing because future recruits then know they will be watched by the pros.

Not so long ago, people were lamenting that all the good players were going to the Canadian Juniors and that college hockey was in danger.  Today, USA college hockey is thriving and I couldn't be happier about that.

As long as we continue to land top recruits at UND, having them leave early for the pro's is okay.  Especially if they win us a national championship or two in the process!

As for our defensemen, I'm very bullish on the development of Schneider and Jones.  Hale has had his moments and I'm pulling for him to have a breakout season.  Ditto for his brother.

Speaking of giants, does anyone know more about Eric Fabian?  He had something like 11 goals as a rookie in the USHL, which doesn't tell us much about whether he'll be top D1 material.  Thoughts?

As far as I know Fabian has committed, verbally and/or with an LOI, to UND for 2003.  He's spending another year in Topeka to develop his skills.  He seems to be a "lunch bucket" forward.  Not big on scoring, but pretty aggressive on the physical side.  I recall that Eric is 6'2" and about 210-215 or so.  It's conceivable that if he's played defense in the past, he might convert to a blueliner at some point.

For the record, I personally believe Schneider & Hale will both play professional hockey, at least at minor level and hopefully beyond.  Hale needs to have a season where he asserts himself a little more strongly.  I'd really like to see him develop some attitude ie) confidence and leadership.  Schneider looked really good as a frosh.

Also, it sounds like Greene and Smaby will both be NHL material, although people like me should withhold opinion until they make the jump to D1.  Of course, I don't mean to exclude anybody else that is working their butt off to make it in the hockey world.  But, hey, use it as your motivation and get mean out there!