SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL in Vega$

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I would love to see the NHL in Kansas City.  They already have an arena there, and it would even things out perfectly division wise by playing in the Central.  Would be a great new rivalry, especially for the Blues!!

Maybe bring the Scouts name and logo back?

th?id=OIP.M3c2850a5dab3e1088fbc95a071d6dth?id=OIP.Mda3c4861a271fa7ab164f4445cf24

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I would love to see the NHL in Kansas City.  They already have an arena there, and it would even things out perfectly division wise by playing in the Central.  Would be a great new rivalry, especially for the Blues!!

Lamar Hunt Jr, who owns the Chiefs and the MLS team, wants to build up hockey's presence in the KC area first, as he also owns an ECHL team there on the Mo side and is building an arena on thee Kansas side for a USHL.  He says a fee of $500 m for an NHL team is way too steep.  First an foremost he is a business man.

13 hours ago, cberkas said:

Dan Gilbert owns the Lake Erie Monsters and Quicken Loans Arena, so I can see why he wants a NHL team in Cleveland.

I could see Mike Ilitch finding a way to keep Dan Gilbert from owning a MLS team in Detroit.

I don't see Portland getting an NHL team before Seattle. They don't even sell the upper level at the Moda Center for Winterhawks games.

Paul Allen, the Seahawks and TrailBlazers owner and a Microsoft multi- billionaire, has some interest in the NHL for Portland, but he says the expansion fee is too steep.  Some observers say he would swoop in on the Coyotes and move them if the Coyotes didnt have any hope left in Phoenix.

The NHL's thinking is that that Coyotes will get a new arena closer to downtown/Tempa/Mesa and the addition of Vegas will get them a closer rival.  Vegas could also attract rivals with the Ducks, Sharks, and Kings as an excuse to make a trip there, as well as many visiting fans from Canada and Denver.