SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux women fall to Jackrabbits

jimdahl

After the Sioux had trailed 4-21 in the 1st, the Sioux came back and traded leads with the Jacks back and forth for the most of the last 10 minutes of regulation. With 2 minutes to go SDSU started to run away from the Sioux, gaining a 63-57 lead with 1:30 to go. UND sunk two consecutive 3's to tie it up at 63 with 0:49 remaining. Sioux got called for a travel with about 0:30 remaining, SDSU burned the clock down to 0:06 before the Sioux forced a jump ball and got the possession arrow. With the clock reading 0:00 the Sioux finally launch the ball toward the basket, it trickled in, but too late.

Extra period was back and forth, with SDSU slowly amassing a 71-67 lead. UND threw the ball away with under 1:00 to go, had to foul. SDSU missed the free throw, UND scored and got a free throw off the score to cut it to 70-71 with 0:37 to go. SDSU made 1 of 2 free throws for a 72-70 lead, which was the final.

You'll have to wait for the Herald or someone who heard the game better than I to fill in names/stats.

Congrats to the Sioux women on never giving up tonight and another great season! Congrats to the Jackrabbit women -- represent the NCC well in your last trip to the D-II Elite Eight!

I started out casually listening to the game and then was glued towards the end and in overtime. Very exciting finish! Congrats to SDSU women on a heck of a game.

The Sioux women certainly did not disappoint their fans. Congrats to Gene and his team on a terrific season (i.e. beating the Bison).

taz

Hats off to the Jacks, sounded like an exciting game. I'm not sure if it should be characterized as a battle or a struggle, pretty ugly play times. Sioux came from way behind, Mary Perrizo had 28 I believe and single-handedly kept the Sioux in the game. Leighton in foul trouble again didn't help the cause. Swyggy was pretty critical of the refs at times, and on both sides, saying they'd call ticky-tack stuff and nothing when there was an obvious foul. Someone who was there is going to have to talk about officiating, but Swyggy said it was bad for both teams. Sioux shoot themselves time after time with turnovers when they could take the lead and tie it up, roughly 30 turnovers. That is what cost them the game, which they were unbelievably lucky to be in with that many TO's. Mahlum was shooting airballs on open 3's, announcers said she was way off. Too bad of the outcome, yesterday's games surely played a factor, but that cannot be an excuse. Jacks whould have a good chance to win it all.

Swyggy was pretty critical of the refs at times, and on both sides, saying they'd call ticky-tack stuff and nothing when there was an obvious foul. Someone who was there is going to have to talk about officiating, but Swyggy said it was bad for both teams.

The refs were bad at both sessions I attended. I didn't go tonight, but that makes three straight nights. The announcer was probably right on the money.

The officiating in DII WBB is absolutly terrible! I do not know where they get these people. I know some do high school games. I was watching the Mn State Girls games on TV last night (Jennifer Hoffner's (Wagner) team was playing) and saw who we call Big Butt Vicki on there (when she runs, she kicks her big ass). She made some of the same terrible calls she makes for NCC/NSIC games. The guys are just as bad. The thing that kills me is the inconsistency. Then when they make a bad call, they make up for it by making a second bad call. 2 wrongs do not make a right. Lets get some consistency and let the teams decide the games!!!!!!!!!!!

How can we win when 2 players foul out with 5 minutes to go?:silly:?